Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

mate no offence, but if you're in just for the cash then f**k off and don't bother wasting the DF time nor a place on someone else as you wont stick it out nor make a good soldier.

however....

if you're in for the lifestyle and career and don't mind getting paid for doing something you like doing... then tell your mates to f**k off and then go find new mates.

I hope (and think) that you are in category B above so best of luck.

You can find the salary information on www.military.ie its public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Cheers for the link mate

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Conmc88 wrote: »

Also for that guy who said he cant make it to the interview cause he is sick.

Mate iv two ear infections at the moment not pleasant but by no means the worst i can bearly hear at the moment and you better believe il be there tomorrow.If you let this go I do believe you will regret it down the line of life and have a little consideration for those people who wanted this so bad and would give there arm for an interview you kinda owe it to them to at least sit the interview.
    ill try my best to possibly attend, i just printed out the email, but my ears and head are in bits the past 4 weeks can barely sleep and cant even stand any loud noise, even talking to someone on the phone, but ill do my best to try attend if im feeling any better with a bit of luck, but unlikely as docs cant even help it.

btw anyone give me advice on the questions?
    and please what clothes to wear, or what clothes to definetly not wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Fair play mate,

I would presume that it being an interview you would wear a shirt and tie,clean shaven,well groomed etc......

As regards the questions being asked im at a loss thats the one bit of advice I am looking for.

I my self as with every interview iv ever gone for I will be reading up on the Navy History ie(know the ships the ranks what the navy actually do and where you want to see your self in years) or vice versa for the army.

Other than that best of luck mate and hopefully I see you in september

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Heard today that there is only 350 left in competion for the navy for the 120 positions. Was told this from 2 different sources but i find it hard to belive. Anyone else hear anything???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

Was there today for my interview and we were told by the officer and by a leading hand that 377 were invited for interview, with the hope that at least 320 will show up and it's possible that only the final 120 candidates will be called for medical. Results will be out two weeks from the date of the end of the interview sessions, which are expected to last over the next 5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

A 1 in 3 chance so not so bad. I am down for interview tomorrow so hopefully it will go alright. How did you find it.

alan86 wrote: »
    A 1 in 3 chance so not so bad. I am down for interview tomorrow so hopefully it will go alright. How did you find it.

Honestly, once you prepared for the competency areas, it's grand. The interview board I got gave me every opportunity to talk and to sell myself. The time inside the room flies by. You'll be in the waiting room for awhile with other candidates but there'll be an officer and a leading hand there who chat away and did wonders to calm my nerves. Best of Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

best of luck to the lot of ye. and dont beleave what your told alot storys will be flying around here from poeple being told while waiting for the interview. just do your best that is all that will be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

What do they ask in the interview lads i have mine on friday for army any advice or tips anything would help thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Was there today for my interview and we were told by the officer and by a leading hand that 377 were invited for interview, with the hope that at least 320 will show up and it's possible that only the final 120 candidates will be called for medical. Results will be out two weeks from the date of the end of the interview sessions, which are expected to last over the next 5 working days.

no way ? thats amazing chances so :) i had my interview today for the army think i did really well on the off chance i got offered the army and the navy any advice on which one to take id like to do both to be honest

swimfast wrote: »
    no way ? thats amazing chances so :) i had my interview today for the army think i did really well on the off chance i got offered the army and the navy any advice on which one to take id like to do both to be honest

I've my Army Interview Friday so i'm in the same predicament as you. I can honestly say from being down in the Naval Base yesterday and getting to meet the people there, i'd be gutted if I didn't get it, which even surprised myself since being in the Army Reserve always made me think i'd prefer that. Look at it this way though, you could do 5 years in the Army and if you're young enough when you finish you still have time to apply to be in the Navy again.

I've my Army Interview Friday so i'm in the same predicament as you. I can honestly say from being down in the Naval Base yesterday and getting to meet the people there, i'd be gutted if I didn't get it, which even surprised myself since being in the Army Reserve always made me think i'd prefer that. Look at it this way though, you could do 5 years in the Army and if you're young enough when you finish you still have time to apply to be in the Navy again.

thats a fair point i think i may go the naval way though if i get that think you might be a bit busier after basic training in the navy ? or am i wrong?

thats a fair point i think i may go the naval way though if i get that think you might be a bit busier after basic training in the navy ? or am i wrong?

Both jobs will keep you busy in different ways so i don't think there's a way to really compare the two. From what i've heard the Naval Service is feeling the pressure of being undermanned in a big way with a lot of double jobbing taking place so recruits are badly needed. If you think you can hack the 2-3 year sea rotations that are having to take place at the moment i'd say go for it. I highly doubt anyone would regret it, but that's just my opinion.

2-3 year sea rotations ? like 2years at sea at a time ?

2-3 year sea rotations ? like 2years at sea at a time ?

You're assigned to a ship for that length of time so when the ship is out on patrol you go with it, when the ship is back in Haulbowline, you're in the basin doing maintenance etc. You wouldn't have any base duties at that time such as guard duties etc, all of your duties would more than likely take place on the ship regardless of its whereabouts.

You're assigned to a ship for that length of time so when the ship is out on patrol you go with it, when the ship is back in Haulbowline, you're in the basin doing maintenance etc. You wouldn't have any base duties at that time such as guard duties etc, all of your duties would more than likely take place on the ship regardless of its whereabouts.

sounds good think it will be navy all the way :) is the interview the final stage then yes ?

sounds good think it will be navy all the way :) is the interview the final stage then yes ?

Medical is the final stage after you get the results of the interview. Best of luck :)

Medical is the final stage after you get the results of the interview. Best of luck :)

cheers for all that see you in september hopefully

no way ? thats amazing chances so i had my interview today for the army think i did really well on the off chance i got offered the army and the navy any advice on which one to take id like to do both to be honest

Swimfast how was your army interview today not too difficult i hope? ;)

• Advertisement

Mop93 wrote: »
    Swimfast how was your army interview today not too difficult i hope? ;)

Questions were handy enough but thats same with every interview hope i convinced them i am worthy of a place

How many interviewed you?
    How long was interview ?
    What type of questions?

Sorry but very nervous just want to know what im coming up against ;)

Mop93 wrote: »
    How many interviewed you?
    How long was interview ?
    What type of questions?

Sorry but very nervous just want to know what im coming up against ;)

bout 20 mins
    its a competency interview so they ask you what you know about the army and about yourself what you can bring to the army team work and motivation and working under pressure

Oright thanks a million let me know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pcul2005

Just got an email saying I passed the assessments (no breakdown or actual results attached or included)...no interview dates either...just you passed the tests also 'best of luck in the future' or words to that effect... Does this mean Im on a waiting list for interviews or does it mean I have been unsuccessful...Im confused!!! Wasnt expecting email until tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimbob92345

pcul2005 wrote: »
    Just got an email saying I passed the assessments (no breakdown or actual results attached or included)...no interview dates either...just you passed the tests also 'best of luck in the future' or words to that effect... Does this mean Im on a waiting list for interviews or does it mean I have been unsuccessful...Im confused!!! Wasnt expecting email until tomorrow...
    I got an email a few days ago saying i passed and i got my interview date, time and location and what i needed. Then today i got that email saying i passed and a breakdown of my results and but nothing was attached to it and then another email after that saying they are aware that the breakdown wasnt attached to the email. Also the email i got about the interview time etc. wasnt from info@publicjobs, i got it from the manpower office email. So you should be getting an email from what ever barracks ur interview will take place

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pcul2005

pcul2005 wrote: »
    I got an email a few days ago saying i passed and i got my interview date, time and location and what i needed. Then today i got that email saying i passed and a breakdown of my results and but nothing was attached to it and then another email after that saying they are aware that the breakdown wasnt attached to the email. Also the email i got about the interview time etc. wasnt from info@publicjobs, i got it from the manpower office email. So you should be getting an email from what ever barracks ur interview will take place

Oh hopefully thats it!! Would be class if that was the case...thanks for the feedback eitherway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Knucklebreaker

check junk mail, I received email from e brigade first, then emails off public jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Go Army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Yeah i got them 2 emails aswell, think there gonna send an email 2moro explaining how they decided who passed the psychometrics test and got an interview. Sum are still waiting for their e mail to say if they passed. Am already hearing around town of a few lads failing the psychometrics test, in fairness the maths was tricky even if the time limit was a bit longer.

Advertisement