Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Knucklebreaker

What if the number of questions was divided by 1000. Then each correct answer represents an equal mark, thus giving a mark out of a 1000. 1000 is simply a guess. Food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Well, I was gonna tell you how it works, but as swimfan has decided he is smarter than me, and the mods smacked me for snapping at him, you'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

Knucklebreaker What if the number of questions was divided by 1000. Then each correct answer represents an equal mark, thus giving a mark out of a 1000. 1000 is simply a guess. Food for thought.
    goldie fish Well, I was gonna tell you how it works, but as swimfan has decided he is smarter than me, and the mods smacked me for snapping at him, you'll never know.

Don't take this the wrong way but, nobody cares. Its over and done with. Lets all focus on the interviews and help each other

Very true.

So who had there interviews so far? And how did ye do?

I've mine tomorrow morning in Cork for the Navy. I've been looking over the Navy, and I got a DVD with practice questions and answer's.

I'm a little worried at this stage to learn to much, and learn off answers to questions. Just in case I stuck if I forget something, and I want to be seen as having a bit of passion for it, and not look like someone who has just memorised answers.

So does anybody have any advice? or did ye get any questions that ye didnt expect? or couldn't answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Just be yourself and do not bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

I had my interview for defense forces on Friday afternoon and i believe it went well hopefully it was good enough ;)

Main thing to do is to be confident and always keep eye contact with your interviewers make sure you have practiced answering questions with friends or family.

Know why you want to join have prepared answers but honest answers and research about motivation,teamwork and working under pressure and have decent examples for all of them and you should be grand.

Also if you do sports throw that in that will really help.

Do not worry about it their really nice mine where anyways so hopefully you'll be as lucky and hey worst case scenario its practice for other jobs :)

Good luck

I had my interview for defense forces on Friday afternoon and i believe it went well hopefully it was good enough

Main thing to do is to be confident and always keep eye contact with your interviewers make sure you have practiced answering questions with friends or family.

Know why you want to join have prepared answers but honest answers and research about motivation,teamwork and working under pressure and have decent examples for all of them and you should be grand.

Also if you do sports throw that in that will really help.

Do not worry about it their really nice mine where anyways so hopefully you'll be as lucky and hey worst case scenario its practice for other jobs

Good luck

Thank you

No problem peoples let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pcul2005

Does anybody know when the training will commence for successful candidates? I know its September but just wondering when, start or end or if anybody heard any general dates...interviews still ongoing and with background checks and medicals, etc is likely to be later than Sept??

• Advertisement

I had my interview this morning. I'm pleased with how it went. I was asked a couple of questions on why I wanted to join the Navy before we moved on to the scenario's.

When it came to the scenarios, I was a bit rattled for the motivation part, because I taught I could pick a time when I was motivated. Instead they asked me about a time, when I was motivated to do something, that I didn't really want to do. I then got an opportunity to speak about the scenario I had originally prepared, and I was happy enough.

The other two scenarios where straight forward, because I could use the ones I prepared, and the panel seemed to be happy with my answer's.

I did get a trick question. Which was "What does an able seaman do?". I'm pretty sure I got this one right. I said that it depends on the Branch they are in. Especially since there are four different branches. I then spoke about the different branches.

I was told today by someone in the navy, that 340 are being interviewed. 210 go to the medical stage, and 120 join.

Does anybody know when the training will commence for successful candidates? I know its September but just wondering when, start or end or if anybody heard any general dates...interviews still ongoing and with background checks and medicals, etc is likely to be later than Sept??

I'm confused as well. I was told be the panel interviewing me that the results will be out within two weeks, and that training will commence in late October/early November. The person in the manpower office said that they will be out by next Wednesday, and Training will begin in late September/early October.

I did get a trick question. Which was "What does an able seaman do?". I'm pretty sure I got this one right. I said that it depends on the Branch they are in. Especially since there are four different branches. I then spoke about the different branches.

You could have included that an Able Seaman is expected to be proficient in their role. They could have meant Able Seaman as a rate in the Executive Branch rather than an AB which is what I'm sure you thought you were being asked. You could have then went onto describe the executive branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

They could have meant Able Seaman as a rate in the Executive Branch rather than an AB which is what I'm sure you thought you were being asked. You could have then went onto describe the executive branch.

What does this mean....?
    And what exactly does an Able Seaman do....?

What does this mean....?
    And what exactly does an Able Seaman do....?

There is a difference between rate and rank. Your rank could be AB but your rate could be Able Mech or Able Seaman, Able Commop etc.
    The Rate Able Seaman is a person who works on the deck of the ship etc.

You could have included that an Able Seaman is expected to be proficient in their role. They could have meant Able Seaman as a rate in the Executive Branch rather than an AB which is what I'm sure you thought you were being asked. You could have then went onto describe the executive branch.

They could of meant it like that, but then again they mightn't of. That looks like a very technical answer from somebody with Naval experience. I was just putting it up to see if anybody else got a question like this in there interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paul o

They could of meant it like that, but then again they mightn't of. That looks like a very technical answer from somebody with Naval experience. I was just putting it up to see if anybody else got a question like this in there interview?

You mean that you are wondering if they asked anyone if they know what job they applied for?

If you applied for a job in Tesco, would you expect them to ask you what you think it is that a cashier does?

You mean that you are wondering if they asked anyone if they know what job they applied for?

If you applied for a job in Tesco, would you expect them to ask you what you think it is that a cashier does?

That's a really, really good example. Thank you for your input

paul o wrote: »

Thats exactly what they are asking. I heard an example recently(not this competition) of someone who was asked at interview, "what does an officer do aboard ship?" They gave the generic answer command, navigate etc. They didn't get it and sought feedback. They were told in feedback that the successful candidate answered "the CO does X, the EO does Y, The MEO does Z, the GunsO does A, and the Nav does B.

Know the job you are applying for. It isn't frikkin tesco tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

And we're back......!

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what they are asking. I heard an example recently(not this competition) of someone who was asked at interview, "what does an officer do aboard ship?"

So you know exactly what they were asking? because joining as a GR, they want to see what we know all about Officers? Great contribution to the topic.
    Know the job you are applying for. It isn't frikkin tesco tho.
    They could have meant Able Seaman as a rate in the Executive Branch rather than an AB which is what I'm sure you thought you were being asked.

As you said they "could of meant it like", yeah could. What's the big deal?

I had an interview with the Navy yesterday, deal with it. Since I posted openly about what I said on this site, they think they can jump in and say "you should of said this instead" That's the last time I'm going posting something personal on this site

*I'm now patiently waiting for someone else to jump in*

So you know exactly what they were asking? because joining as a GR, they want to see what we know all about Officers? Great contribution to the topic.

As you said they "could of meant it like", yeah could. What's the big deal?

I had an interview with the Navy yesterday, deal with it. Since I posted openly about what I said on this site, they think they can jump in and say "you should of said this instead" That's the last time I'm going posting something personal on this site

*I'm now patiently waiting for someone else to jump in*

Why do you quote me using your own **** grammar?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Firstly nobody here is trying to shoot you down. everybody has different experiences in these interviews. The reason however that they may ask a person applying for general enlistment, what they think it is that officers do, is simply because you are part of a team on the ship and you need to be aware of what all other team members are up to to keep your eye on the bigger picture.

Its always important know what your superiors roles are be they enlisted or non enlisted ranks. at some point in your career you may have to step into their shoes albeit temporarily. The army (and consequently you if you are in) will live and die by its chain of command of which you are a composite link. Educate yourself about the roles your superiors have in this chain and it will make you a better soldier/sailor in the end.

I had interview today for Army. Got some very good help from the site so many thanks to those posting useful information.

Figures I heard for East was 900 interviewed for 120 places.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dylan051

Alright lads ! :)

Just have a quick question for you all..

I had my army interview yesterday, and was wondering does anyone know when we will be told if we were successful?

Or even when the last of the interviews are?

Thanks, and good luck to all going for the army and navy!

dylan051 wrote: »
    Alright lads ! :)

Just have a quick question for you all..

I had my army interview yesterday, and was wondering does anyone know when we will be told if we were successful?

Or even when the last of the interviews are?

Thanks, and good luck to all going for the army and navy!

The Navy email said that the last interviews will be on the 30th July, and I was told that we should find out on Wednesday if we are successful or not.

How was your interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I had interview today for Army. Got some very good help from the site so many thanks to those posting useful information.

Sounds about right.

Most of them will probably go to the new 7 Bn once they finish training.

Where will the new 7th Bn be situated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Mop93 wrote: »
    Where will the new 7th Bn be situated?

Cathal Brugha Barracks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

Not quite right. Closer to the 1000 mark, a little over 960 called for interviews and a little less places than you mention.

Advertisement