Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

My advice for anyone enlisting: tell the truth. Better to be disqualified than to face a court martial and end up spending 2 years in the digger, which is the max penalty for an offence contrary to Sec 165

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nhoj88

A friend who also applied for the navy recieved an email saying he will not be going forward for medical, and said he was number 45 on a reserve panel, to keep checking his emails, what does this mean??

If they are calling (figures i got from this thread) 210 out of 350 from the interview to the medicals and recruiting 120 does this mean he is 165th (120 plus 45) in line, or 255th (210 plus 45) in line for recruitment??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

My advice for anyone enlisting: tell the truth. Better to be disqualified than to face a court martial and end up spending 2 years in the digger, which is the max penalty for an offence contrary to Sec 165

That's never going to happen and you know it. Now you're just using scare tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Donny5 wrote: »
    That's never going to happen and you know it. Now you're just using scare tactics.

Why lie in the first place or as you suggest Don't tell.

Military service requires honest and medically fit personnel. If you are not both, you should not be there.

Dogwatch wrote: »

Military service requires honest and medically fit personnel. If you are not both, you should not be there.

The incentive to lie is that the criteria aren't always sensible, and the people you are competing against aren't going to let honesty disqualify themselves because of an asthma attack 12 years ago or LASIK. If you think it's not already the norm, you're deluding yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paul o

The incentive to lie is that the criteria aren't always sensible.

Apologies. Did not realise you were a doctor. When did you qualify?

paul o wrote: »
    Apologies. Did not realise you were a doctor. When did you qualify?

I'm not a doctor, but I'm not a pleb, either. To paraphrase Feynman, I'll never trust experts on the basis that they're experts. If you want to absolve yourself of the responsibility of thought, go ahead, but don't expect the same from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Axelf0128

Anyone hear from the eastern yet ? Still waiting thought They would have had it sorted by today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

That's true, fair play. Hopefully anyone who lie's will get caught out. I wonder what sort of a career they will have if they start lieing from day one?

The Defence Forces require healthy, physically fit personnel. Why apply if your not? they don't want someone who is going to have an asthma attack or a seizure during training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

nhoj88 wrote: »
    A friend who also applied for the navy recieved an email saying he will not be going forward for medical, and said he was number 45 on a reserve panel, to keep checking his emails, what does this mean??

If they are calling (figures i got from this thread) 210 out of 350 from the interview to the medicals and recruiting 120 does this mean he is 165th (120 plus 45) in line, or 255th (210 plus 45) in line for recruitment??

He is 165th then, I got the same email but Im lower then 45. I wouldn't panic yet, but who knows what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

He is 165th then, I got the same email but Im lower then 45. I wouldn't panic yet, but who knows what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks
    I got trough to the medical but there is no date for it yet. it just says i should expect hear in the next couple of days and keep checking your emails

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Axelf0128

beco2010 wrote: »
    I got trough to the medical but there is no date for it yet. it just says i should expect hear in the next couple of days and keep checking your emails

Where's it for ?

Axelf0128 wrote: »
    Where's it for ?
    the naval service

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Ya i got an email like that yesterday and then got one saying i have a medical on the 13th today.

alan86 wrote: »
    Ya i got an email like that yesterday and then got one saying i have a medical on the 13th today.
    ya i havnt got my date yet. but i got trough any way so it should come in time

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimbob92345

Got my email from cork, medical the forth of september !

Got my email from cork, medical the forth of september !
    the 4th thats a bit away

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimbob92345

the 4th thats a bit away

Ya it is but I'm happy it is. A month now of gym work to lose a bit of weight and get fitter !

Ya it is but I'm happy it is. A month now of gym work to lose a bit of weight and get fitter !
    well done for getting in. best of luck any way

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dannylawrenson

I am No 5 on the reserve panel. Im dissapointed I didnt get through. Like yourself i got the mail telling me where i am on the list.
    I think there maybe a lot the have applied to both Army and Navy, really wanting the Army but keeping their options open and will jump ship if they get the army. Also you have people that may not pass the medical and those that have gotten other jobs that wont turn up for the medical. Then you those who have a past with the guards etc. Its looking like that for me to stand a chance a hell of a lot of others have to not go through for me to be called. Does anyone know what happens to us then if we dont get called. Do we stay on a panel or do we have to re apply online again and go through the whole process for the next competition?? I was even thinking of going in the Navy reserves if im unsuccessful this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

The incentive to lie is that the criteria aren't always sensible, and the people you are competing against aren't going to let honesty disqualify themselves because of an asthma attack 12 years ago or LASIK. If you think it's not already the norm, you're deluding yourself.
    I have been there and worn the T shirt and didn't have delude anyone. It is essential that you can rely on the bloke next to you and that he is not going to start wheezing because the going is tough or he is unable to see the target(whatever it is) because the pressure on his eyes is affecting his vision.

Lying to get into a military force could cost someone their life, although this is something only those who have served will understand.
    Dont encourage people to lie or be economical with the truth. It does not say much for moral standards that some here are prepared to cheat to get a place.

Either you are good enough or you are not, at least be honest about it.

The only assumption I will make is that you are not serving member of any military force.

The only assumption I will make is that you are not serving member of any military force.

Your assumption is wrong, as is your post. There are many good soldiers and some bad ones who would never have entered training if they had disclosed all to a medical officer. The criteria which can earn disqualification are in many cases about thinning out numbers rather than any factual basis, as can be seen in the differences between medical standards in different services around the world, many of whom face challenges in training and operations far beyond those of the DF. You can be good enough and be disqualified by a nonsense rule on a form - to argue otherwise is to show a lack of understanding of the criteria. Anyhow, I'm done with this - each person can make up their own mind on the issue, despite the ponitification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Out of interest, what sort of 'medical issues' would be a stumbling block to joining the Defence Forces.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

I believe mainly its asthma and that sort of area but im positive their are dozens more but i know for a fact they ask about that and do some extra tests if you have had asthma even if it was years ago im sure they'll be someone with more knowledge on the matter but thats all i know.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Is there a list somewhere....?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

Not that i know of.

If you want you can mail me and i can try help you that way is their anything in particular you are worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 newbie2022

Hi
    Iv been called for a medical for the navy if i am succesful in medical does that mean im in sorry might be a stupid q ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Anyone else get an e-mail telling them to fast the night before the medical, what's the reason for that. (chest x-ray?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

the navel service

OH FFS please learn how to spell the name of the Organisation you are hoping to get a job for.

Unless you have applied to inspect and collect bellybutton fluff. In which case I apologise, wish you well and ask are you an innie or an outie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Your assumption is wrong, as is your post. There are many good soldiers and some bad ones who would never have entered training if they had disclosed all to a medical officer. The criteria which can earn disqualification are in many cases about thinning out numbers rather than any factual basis, as can be seen in the differences between medical standards in different services around the world, many of whom face challenges in training and operations far beyond those of the DF. You can be good enough and be disqualified by a nonsense rule on a form - to argue otherwise is to show a lack of understanding of the criteria. Anyhow, I'm done with this - each person can make up their own mind on the issue, despite the ponitification.

I can't believe you are encouraging potential recruits to lie at their medical.

Advertisement