Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Yeah, you're only supposed to lie at the interview.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

CIGANO wrote: »
    Anyone else get an e-mail telling them to fast the night before the medical, what's the reason for that. (chest x-ray?)

It's for the blood tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Donny5 wrote: »
    Your assumption is wrong, as is your post. There are many good soldiers and some bad ones who would never have entered training if they had disclosed all to a medical officer. The criteria which can earn disqualification are in many cases about thinning out numbers rather than any factual basis, as can be seen in the differences between medical standards in different services around the world, many of whom face challenges in training and operations far beyond those of the DF. You can be good enough and be disqualified by a nonsense rule on a form - to argue otherwise is to show a lack of understanding of the criteria. Anyhow, I'm done with this - each person can make up their own mind on the issue, despite the ponitification.
    I can't believe you are encouraging potential recruits to lie at their medical.

I can't believe he is serving in a military force and encouraging people to lie to gain entry.
    Beyond belief and words!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

OH FFS please learn how to spell the name of the Organisation you are hoping to get a job for.

Unless you have applied to inspect and collect bellybutton fluff. In which case I apologise, wish you well and ask are you an innie or an outie?
    sorry for the misspelling. o god of grammar. im sure you have never misspelled any word in your life as this was a accident of misspelling from me. your attitude on the other hand can and will naver be fixed i hope that sometime in the future you might find that life you are looking for or sorry need to get

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dannylawrenson

Lads can we get back to whats important please, people that are reading these posts are obviously anxious about getting into the military service. I myself included. I have been put on a reserve panel of which i am number 5. Has anyone out there got any idea how many new recruits failed the medical, didnt turn up, or walked within the first couple of weeks on the last batch that went in. I think also that there maybe some people who have kept their options open and applied to both army and navy and if they get the army they will jump ship from the navy. Any feedback please....

• Advertisement

Lads can we get back to whats important please, people that are reading these posts are obviously anxious about getting into the military service. I myself included. I have been put on a reserve panel of which i am number 5. Has anyone out there got any idea how many new recruits failed the medical, didnt turn up, or walked within the first couple of weeks on the last batch that went in. I think also that there maybe some people who have kept their options open and applied to both army and navy and if they get the army they will jump ship from the navy. Any feedback please....
    sorry

as to your question alot can fail the medical alot more then you would think. hearing test is very intense if you have the slightest difficulty with your hearing it will show up. as well as bloods will show up everything down to if you had a pain killer 2 weeks ago. so being 5 on the list i would exspect to get called up

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

anyone from the east get an email yet?

Thanks for your reply i appreciate it. I hope I do get called. With regards to the blood test, I was on a course of antibiotics and Ibuprofen a couple of weeks ago. Iv kept the box that contained the tablets to show the doctor if I do get to the medical stage, as im sure they will show up and god knows whats really in em. Will I be ok do you think if I show the tablet box the ha my name precribed on...

Thanks for your reply i appreciate it. I hope I do get called. With regards to the blood test, I was on a course of antibiotics and Ibuprofen a couple of weeks ago. Iv kept the box that contained the tablets to show the doctor if I do get to the medical stage, as im sure they will show up and god knows whats really in em. Will I be ok do you think if I show the tablet box the ha my name precribed on...
    ya you will be fine. you will have to put what tablets you have taken down on your medical form ,as they will show up and the doc will ask about them ,but as long as it was noting that would couse you problems in the defence forces they wont stop you from joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Ibuprofen? Honestly mate, what do you think?
    I bought 3 packets of them in the pound shop a while back, you don't even need a prescription for these, there not illegal.

What's next you think your going to fail the medical for that calpol or vitamin c tablets?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Dogwatch wrote: »
    I can't believe he is serving in a military force and encouraging people to lie to gain entry.
    Beyond belief and words!!!!!!!!!

It's initiative, I'd say. Do what you need to do.

Cathal... There is no need for your sarcasim. I was more concerned about the antibiotic's I was on actually. Ibuprofen may not be an illegal drug or maybe a drug that you can buy over teh counter but its still a drug at the end of the day and would contain other propanonic acids that normal pain killers wouldnt have. Over a course of a couple of weeks I would have taken quite a few along with antibiotics. My original conversation with Beco2010 was looking for feedback on the fact that I have been put 5th on a reserve panel, but thanks anyway for your interest and your comments

Cathal_91 wrote: »
    Ibuprofen? Honestly mate, what do you think?
    I bought 3 packets of them in the pound shop a while back, you don't even need a prescription for these, there not illegal.

What's next you think your going to fail the medical for that calpol or vitamin c tablets?

Cathal... There is no need for your sarcasim. I was more concerned about the antibiotic's I was on actually. Ibuprofen may not be an illegal drug or maybe a drug that you can buy over teh counter but its still a drug at the end of the day and would contain other propanonic acids that normal pain killers wouldnt have. Over a course of a couple of weeks I would have taken quite a few along with antibiotics. My original conversation with Beco2010 was looking for feedback on the fact that I have been put 5th on a reserve panel, but thanks anyway for your interest and your comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

beco2010 wrote: »
    sorry for the misspelling. o god of grammar. im sure you have never misspelled any word in your life as this was a accident of misspelling from me. your attitude on the other hand can and will naver be fixed i hope that sometime in the future you might find that life you are looking for or sorry need to get

Your funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

And we're back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

Does anybody know when the eastern brigade are going to inform the participants if they were succesful or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Knucklebreaker

I was told two weeks Wednesday last, hopefully by mid next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Axelf0128

Mop93 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the eastern brigade are going to inform the participants if they were succesful or not.

A few got e mails today saying they didn't get in, I wonder if their sending the ones that didn't get in first

Your funeral.
    ok fair enough:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

I am No 5 on the reserve panel. Im dissapointed I didnt get through. Like yourself i got the mail telling me where i am on the list.
    I think there maybe a lot the have applied to both Army and Navy, really wanting the Army but keeping their options open and will jump ship if they get the army. Also you have people that may not pass the medical and those that have gotten other jobs that wont turn up for the medical. Then you those who have a past with the guards etc. Its looking like that for me to stand a chance a hell of a lot of others have to not go through for me to be called. Does anyone know what happens to us then if we dont get called. Do we stay on a panel or do we have to re apply online again and go through the whole process for the next competition?? I was even thinking of going in the Navy reserves if im unsuccessful this time.

Since your number 5 your almost garenteed a medical. I heard 25% of people either fail the medical or don't show up, so you have no reason to worry!

I'm 18 on the panel. Im dissapointed I didn't get a medical, but there is 90 on the panel, so they must be expecting 40 or 50 failures/drop-outs.

• Advertisement

Since your number 5 your almost garenteed a medical. I heard 25% of people either fail the medical or don't show up, so you have no reason to worry!

I'm 18 on the panel. Im dissapointed I didn't get a medical, but there is 90 on the panel, so they must be expecting 40 or 50 failures/drop-outs.
    there will be a lot that have gone for both the army and navy. when i went for my interview there was alot from dublin, as there still is no word from the eastern brg when they start to get called i would exspect alot to go for the army. the tought of moving to cork would not be to appealing to many between this and the medical alot will be needed to fill in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

I'm not sure if im allowed put this up but I will until im told otherwise. I was looking for information on the Irish Army/Navy medical on-line and I couldn't find any.

This is a link for the British Army medicals and what they don't allow. I doubt the Irish DF are much different.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20157.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I'm not sure if im allowed put this up but I will until im told otherwise. I was looking for information on the Irish Army/Navy medical on-line and I couldn't find any.

This is a link for the British Army medicals and what they don't allow. I doubt the Irish DF are much different.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20157.aspx

You'd be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

Don't know what their at to so many rumors floating round they could be doing it that way but i wouldn't have thought that's the way they would have done it but sure you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 coll19

Hiya i was just wondering does any1 know how many are on the panel for the Navy? i got an email today saying that i am number 101 on it!! :( was just wondering would any1 know is there a chance of me getting called for the medical ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

i dont know col it depends does anyone know if theyv just called forward 120 to medicals or theyv called forward more than the 120?

its very badly explained like.. i taught i done a really good interview and then got an email today to say im 101 .. like ive defiantly no chance in getting called for a medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

coll19 wrote: »
    its very badly explained like.. i taught i done a really good interview and then got an email today to say im 101 .. like ive defiantly no chance in getting called for a medical

could you post the email here ? take out your name etc ?

Reference your Application for Enlistment into the Naval Service - You are now on a reserve panel. Please continue to check your email regularly.

Your number on this panel is:

Regards

Naval Service Manpower Office

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

coll19 wrote: »
    Hiya i was just wondering does any1 know how many are on the panel for the Navy? i got an email today saying that i am number 101 on it!! :( was just wondering would any1 know is there a chance of me getting called for the medical ??

You might not make it this year but they could do what they did in 2011 for next year and recruit from the surplus panel that applied for the 2010 competition instead of running a new comp when they needed recruits. Definitely don't give up on it anyway, keep checking your mails and you could even ring them in a few weeks to get an update. Best of luck!

Advertisement