Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

zolinho wrote: »
    anyone who done the medical alredy,can you tell me what is the colour blindness test made up of?
    is it only the ishihara thing,the dotted circle thing?
    thanks

Yeah that's all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

beco2010 wrote: »
    c-90 wrote: »
    im 20 and its my first time applying.

i doubt age would be a consideration as long as your within the limit. the interveiw is based on points (highest points getting medicals) which are added to the points from the phycometric testing highest overall would be number 1 for example. this system doesnt leave room for points to be added or deducted for age/previous applications ect.

where have you found this information from.

as i thought it was pass or fail like every thing else the interview is where it was determined, and the fitness test and psychometric test have no effect bar getting the candidate on to the next round.

a cpl who worked in the manpower office. it may well be untrue but it makes sence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 zolinho

anyone who done the medical alredy,can you tell me what is the colour blindness test made up of?
    thanks

Navy or Army?

For the army

thanks

Yeah that's all it is.

Thanks

thanks

Yeah that's all it is.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

Has anybody on the panel heard any more news yet?

To the people who have done the medical, what happens during the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

I got email saying my name will be put on panel and i may be called but was not given a number like he navy lads panel do they email me then number on the panel or whats the story

And for the medical you get blood,urine tests, chest xray eh etc etc eyes hearing a once over really on all of your body...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Can anyone clear this up for me? I got my e-mail to say I was successful (hard luck to those that weren't and best of luck to those who were) and I have my medical coming up soon. There are a few conflicting stories going around and I was wondering if I pass my medical am I guaranteed a place? Or is there more people being asked than there is places and more selection processing is needed. Or (what would seem to make sense if true) 480 people were asked for the 480 places and 500 are placed on a back-up panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Did you get your e-mail today (Saturday)....?

Also do you mind if I ask you what age you are....?

The reason I'm asking this is because the lad I know that applied received an e-mail during the week saying that he was unsuccessful this time but had been placed on a panel etc etc....
    Three of his former school friends also received the same e-mail despite the fact that they all felt they did really well at the psych tests and were confident they also did a good interview, the one other factor they have in common is their age, they're all eighteen.
    They're left wondering if the DF have opted for older candidates ahead of them...?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

No I received my e-mail on the 1st of August. It had literally no information in it except for time and venue etc.

The fitness was pass or fail, the psychometric test was a points cutoff and the interview was points based. Whether it was psycho points + interview points that gets you through to medical or just interview points I don't know.

I'm 24 and if I was a few months older I'd be fecked! Honestly though in general I don't think they're completely biased towards older candidates. I just think it helps ALOT in the interview, where you have to give 3 examples of working under pressure, team work and motivating yourself and others and how you reacted to be motivated, when you have 6 more years of life experience (out of school) to utilize. The drop out rate for basic training is very high and I don't think they have the time for arsing around with that this time. They really needed to feel you could handle 17 weeks of being screamed at and getting your hole ran off you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Did you get your e-mail today (Saturday)....?

Also do you mind if I ask you what age you are....?

The reason I'm asking this is because the lad I know that applied received an e-mail during the week saying that he was unsuccessful this time but had been placed on a panel etc etc....
    Three of his former school friends also received the same e-mail despite the fact that they all felt they did really well at the psych tests and were confident they also did a good interview, the one other factor they have in common is their age, they're all eighteen.
    They're left wondering if the DF have opted for older candidates ahead of them...?

Im 18 just finished school and got medical for navy and army so dont think age comes into it that much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

Mop93 wrote: »
    I got email saying my name will be put on panel and i may be called but was not given a number like he navy lads panel do they email me then number on the panel or whats the story

They emailed me later that day giving me a number. Thats for the Navy though. Maybe if you email them and ask then you might get one?

Thanks Swimfast, so age wasn't a factor for the Navy, but what about the Army?

Any 18 year olds get the call for the Army?
    Also did any of the people who were told they were on the panel for the Army get a panel number...?

Apparently they are expecting to see a huge change on the Navy panel when people on it 'jump ship' on being called forward for the Army and they are also expecting some 'movement on the list' after the Leaving Cert results come out next Wednesday and some applicants discover they have enough points for the course they wanted so don't need the 'fall-back option' of the Defence Forces.

@Redwolf: In my view it makes perfect sense to prioritise older applicants over younger applicants, especially when those older applicants have previously applied or been on a panel or are approaching the upper age limit.

@Redwolf: In my view it makes perfect sense to prioritise older applicants over younger applicants, especially when those older applicants have previously applied or been on a panel or are approaching the upper age limit.

Not when you consider that one of the concerns in the DF at the moment is that the age profile of soldiers currently serving is quite high, and one of the aims of recruiting was to lower the age profile through bringing in "new blood" so to speak, and establishing a younger demographic. Everyone and anyone who applies within the competition age limit has an equal chance of being successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnbyrne

Age does not come into it what do ever . They don't even look at ur date of birth . It's all done on points . You have to hit a number of key words in ur scenarios in interview . So you could think you did well in the interview but didn't actually pick up many points at all

Thanks Swimfast, so age wasn't a factor for the Navy, but what about the Army?

Any 18 year olds get the call for the Army?
    Also did any of the people who were told they were on the panel for the Army get a panel number...?

Apparently they are expecting to see a huge change on the Navy panel when people on it 'jump ship' on being called forward for the Army and they are also expecting some 'movement on the list' after the Leaving Cert results come out next Wednesday and some applicants discover they have enough points for the course they wanted so don't need the 'fall-back option' of the Defence Forces.

I am 19 years old,this is my first apply.i am sure they choose only the best people.who got the most points on the physometric and on the interview also.there is no point to choose somebody who is 23 or 24 years old just because he is old.if somebody 24 years old,it doesnt means that he can work well in team or can work under pressure... And even those who applied before,they arent in priority,just think about it...army needs only the best people,so if you applied 2times but you dont make any high points on the physometric and on the interview,you just pass everything,and there is somebody else who applies for the first time and he not only passes the exams,he makes the high points,it is straightforward army will choose him,who get the higher points...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

I have a medical for the navy tomorrow morning just wondering dose anyone know how long it will take.

alan86 wrote: »
    I have a medical for the navy tomorrow morning just wondering dose anyone know how long it will take.

Roughly 3 hours for all the tests. Best of luck!

Thanks for that lad

Roughly 3 hours for all the tests. Best of luck!

Do you know how long it will take for the army?

thanks

• Advertisement

thanks

Tests are the same. My Army medical was over within the 3 hours.

thanks

Tests are the same. My Army medical was over within the 3 hours.

Thanks

Did the medical today for the navy. Went well i think. They said that there is a 50 percent fail rate. They said they will be calling around 200 but i dont know is that 120 + the people on the panel or if its 200 before they go to the panel.

Did the medical today for the navy. Went well i think. They said that there is a 50 percent fail rate. They said they will be calling around 200 but i dont know is that 120 + the people on the panel or if its 200 before they go to the panel.

They didn't happen to mention when we'd be getting emails/results again did they? forgot to ask when I was there!
    cheers.

Around mid september

They didn't happen to mention when we'd be getting emails/results again did they? forgot to ask when I was there!
    cheers.

ye,we will get the results around in mid september.
    did u pass your hearing and eye tests?

ye,we will get the results around in mid september.
    did u pass your hearing and eye tests?

Yeah I did, best of luck with yours.

that is great,congratulations!
    thanks,i hope i will pass everything as well,the worst thing is to wait when im going to the medical,than wait for the result...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimbob92345

The dental examination , did they just have a look at your teeth or did they even do one ?

• Advertisement

Apparently the Eastern Brigade have called up 200 people for medicals for 110 places so they must be reckoning on just under 50% either failing the medical or turning down the offer.....

Advertisement