Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

Apparently the Eastern Brigade have called up 200 people for medicals for 110 places so they must be reckoning on just under 50% either failing the medical or turning down the offer.....

Garda vetting forms wouldn't be back yet either so I'm guessing the extra numbers called would also be to cover any issues that arise with some candidates maybe not passing that. (Not saying that vetting issues are exclusive to the Eastern Brigade by that comment, just a general observation)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Anyone done their medicals yet...? How are they going....?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

One word of advice: if you've used any illegal drugs within the past few years, you might as well get used to the idea of the medical detecting traces of it in your body, being told you've "BAPS" (Below Army Physical Standards) and failed the entry medical. The Defence Forces do NOT want anyone within it's ranks liable to use illegal drugs with a resulting unlawful use of it's weaponry, it does not want junkies within it's ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

aloyisious wrote: »
    One word of advice: if you've used any illegal drugs within the past few years, you might as well get used to the idea of the medical detecting traces of it in your body, being told you've "BAPS" (Below Army Physical Standards) and failed the entry medical.

What a load of crap. Sure, they don't want drug users, and if you are using or have been using recently, then you'll fail the test and rightly so, but it's a standard piss test. If you smoked weed a year ago or popped a pill, it won't be detectable in urine. Plenty of people have tried illegal drugs in the past and as long as they're not current users, it won't be a barrier to entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

For anyone who has done the medical, what does the eyesight test entail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Joesoap1991

I got an email to attend the medical on the 29th of august and today I received an email saying I was unsuccessful even tho I haven't done the medical yet can anyone tell me what to do? Should i still turn up for the medical and hope for the best

I got an email to attend the medical on the 29th of august and today I received an email saying I was unsuccessful even tho I haven't done the medical yet can anyone tell me what to do? Should i still turn up for the medical and hope for the best

Could just be a glitch in the email system? Ring and email them, and unless you get word back confirming not to go, turn up on the day with a print out of both emails and ask what the story is. Best of luck.

I called and they said I must have failed on something even tho I passed on the fitness and psychometric tests and received the date for my medical after I done the interview so I'm totally confused now, unfair really but I'm just goin to turn up for the medical and see what happens thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

Just guessing here but ... you could find that even though you exceeded the pass mark for the interview (55%) that you failed a competency area (scored less than 2 out of 5). At first glance it would have looked like you passed interview if you scored say 65% but when analysed properly you failed a competency.

As I say I am just using supposition here

Ya I know what you mean but I haven't heard it happening to anyone else after they have been given a date for medical, saying your unsuccessful 6 days before a medical is unfair when I have been waiting all month

• Advertisement

Ya I know what you mean but I haven't heard it happening to anyone else after they have been given a date for medical, saying your unsuccessful 6 days before a medical is unfair when I have been waiting all month

What could have happened is that they called more people to the medicals then they needed to and when it became clear to them that more people were passing than expected they told you not to bother going. Their quota of 110 may have already been filled.

Ok but all I was told when I rang them is that I must have failed something, I know someone who has there medical in September and they never got that email. I haven't been told exactly why I'm unsuccessful

Ok but all I was told when I rang them is that I must have failed something, I know someone who has there medical in September and they never got that email. I haven't been told exactly why I'm unsuccessful

Did this person apply to the same brigade as you.

Ya the southern brigade

Dont know what the story is, i feel for you bud.

Il just go Wednesday and find out what's the story, telling me I'm unsuccessful with no reason before I've even done my medical is unfair altogether, totally confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Please don't be offended by my question but is it possible that something might have arisen during the security clearance checks....?

As far as I know people were being called for medicals on the strength of a successful aptitude test and interview but BEFORE the security clearance checks were carried out. Apparently these tests can take quite some time to complete.

I'm not for one minute suggesting this is the case in your instance but the lad I know who did applied told me that on the day he did his interview he heard two guys filling out the form talking, one of them was saying that he couldn't remember the exact date of his last conviction and the other guy was basically telling him to 'put any old date down' as they probably wouldn't check...!
    I would imagine something like this would be discovered further down the line.

On the other hand, its possible that Cigano is right and that they have filled the 110 places without having to go through the whole panel of 200. Apparently the medicals are quite expensive so perhaps someone has decided its not worth continuing to test if they've already got the required numbers. Does the letter say anything about you now being placed on the panel for the next batch of recruitment?

No I've never been in trouble with the law or been in court and not 1 conviction.

The spaces could be filled but like I've said I know someone who has there medical in September and they never got that email. A reason to why I've failed is all I want really.

All the letter says is that my application was not successful nothing about a panel.

If you turn up on the day of the medical after you have been told not to bother you will be wasting your time. Your name will not be on the list so you will not get past the gate. Also there will not be anyone there with the power to over turn the decision / offer a valid explanation for you.

Send a registered letter to them if you really want an answer is my best suggestion

Il just go Wednesday and find out what's the story, telling me I'm unsuccessful with no reason before I've even done my medical is unfair altogether, totally confused.

There's no harm in going. At least you'll get a definitive answer face to face about whether you were meant to be there or not. Otherwise you'll always be wondering about what happened. If you get turned away on the gate, send the registered letter like Midnight Oil suggested or an email to the recruitment office requesting feedback on your performance in the competition. Don't write yourself off and ruin any chance you may have based on an email that provided no explanation as to what happened.

• Advertisement

I was givin the date for my medical on the 2nd the email just came today for no reason could of been a glitch I don't know I haven't been givin a reason to why it said I was unsuccessful, how do you know my name won't be on the list? If I do turn up show them what happened and get some sort of an answer is better than not knowing.!

There's no harm in going. At least you'll get a definitive answer face to face about whether you were meant to be there or not. Otherwise you'll always be wondering about what happened. If you get turned away on the gate, send the registered letter like Midnight Oil suggested or an email to the recruitment office requesting feedback on your performance in the competition. Don't write yourself off and ruin any chance you may have based on an email that provided no explanation as to what happened.

Ya il go and see what they say I've been waiting all month and get the email today makes no sense to me, I've already emailed the recruitment office and I called and the answer I got was that I must have failed something if I knew what I failed I could put my mind at ease but not knowing is worse.

If I do turn up show them what happened and get some sort of an answer is better than not knowing.!

The guy that will meet you at the gate and tick off the names will not be empowered to make any answer. He will be a Pte that will be just doing a job. All he will know is that your name is either on the list or not.

Fair enough about going in case the second email was a mistake.

I know what you mean but I've been givin the date for the medical so my name might or might not be on the list still it's not goin to do any harm to show up and see, I haven't been told why I've been unsuccessful but while I'm waiting il try find out its all I can do.

I know what you mean but I've been givin the date for the medical so my name might or might not be on the list still it's not goin to do any harm to show up and see, I haven't been told why I've been unsuccessful but while I'm waiting il try find out its all I can do.

Yes do that

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

I too got the email today disappointed is an understatement to how i feel. i was given no reason for why i didnt get in i did the medical, i am very healty and have good hearing and eyesight. as i have said i am disapointed but still best of luck to everyone els ;)

You did the medical ya? They must have the numbers they wanted so, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

You did the medical ya? They must have the numbers they wanted so, thanks for that.
    I wouldnt be able to say that them having the numbers is why but makes sense. i was in at the start of the medicals but i was told that as i applied for both the army and navy that this could be the reason i was in at that time doing the medical. there was more who apllied for both there aswell. sorry to hear you didnt get it but if your young you might get another chance unlike me

I was given a date for the medical which is next week just doesn't seem right that there sayin I'm unsuccessful without even doing the medical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

beco2010 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be able to say that them having the numbers is why but makes sense. i was in at the start of the medicals but i was told that as i applied for both the army and navy that this could be the reason i was in at that time doing the medical. there was more who apllied for both there aswell. sorry to hear you didnt get it but if your young you might get another chance unlike me

Sorry to here that lad. I did my medical on the 13th whit the navy and they were ify about my hearing so i am ready for the worst and like you it is my last chance. The day i was there they were telling me there was nearly a 50% fail rate.Didnt think they were going to send out the results so quick

Advertisement