Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I would definitely chase that up, call them tomorrow at the manpower section and if the person you speak to can't tell you what happened then ask to be put through to somebody who can. There has to be a reason why you received that e-mail and you're entitled to know what that reason is, they may have made a mistake and gotten something wrong and you should be given an opportunity to put that right if it is a mistake, if they've already reached the quota then fair enough but you should be still on a panel for further recruitment.

The Defence Forces realise this whole process has been a shambles from start to finish, apart from the misleading and confusing e-mails, the army embarked on a recruitment process for specific units and only after the process had begun the government announced that some of these units are to be disbanded or merged with other units. One unit which was expecting to receive 100+ recruits for training made ready the accommodation for these recruits and sent the trainers on courses in preparation for their arrival but have now been told they are not receiving any. There's total confusion over exactly whats happening and nobody is really sure when or where these recruits are going to be trained. Some of the existing units are still in the dark over how the reorganisation will affect them, some units being disbanded do not know if they will be transferred to other barracks or used to make up the new brigades. It also didn't help to run the Navy recruitment at the same time as the Army recruitment as they know now that many applicants applied for both but were only applying for the Navy in case they didn't get the Army (and vice versa). The timing of the recruitment process to coincide with the Leaving Cert results has also caused a few problems with some successful applicants discovering they have enough points for the course they wanted and no longer have to 'fall back' on the DF.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

alan86 wrote: »
    thanks alan. I wouldnt know alot about the medical but having done it recently you might be alright as they would tell you there and then if you were not going to be able to pass, or give you a re test maybe. best of luck any way
    would it be worth my while to get on to them. im sure it is prob not a misstake but it still would help to know why

• Registered Users Posts: 6 superreds

I got an email to attend the medical on the 29th of august and today I received an email saying I was unsuccessful even tho I haven't done the medical yet can anyone tell me what to do? Should i still turn up for the medical and hope for the best
    There's very little you can do, I would certainly contact their freedom of information office and to see your file and see what the problem is (if any) and take it from there. To be honest I think you have had a lucky escape, this how they treat people. They dont give a flying f@@k who they upset or who's dreams they shatter. Hope it gets sorted for you good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

beco2010 wrote: »
    alan86 wrote: »
    thanks alan. I wouldnt know alot about the medical but having done it recently you might be alright as they would tell you there and then if you were not going to be able to pass, or give you a re test maybe. best of luck any way
    would it be worth my while to get on to them. im sure it is prob not a misstake but it still would help to know why

Definitely worth your while to contact them, it's all a bit confusing seeing as the next batch of emails were supposedly not being sent until-mid September.. hope it all works out for you and you get some clarification anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I would certainly contact their freedom of information office and to see your file

You won't get anywhere through an FOI request, Section (24) Sub Section (2) provides a specific exclusion to the Defence Forces from having to provide information relating to their tactics, strategy or operations, they could reasonably argue that their recruitment process falls into one or more of these categories.

I think your best bet is to ring up and ask (nicely) to speak to someone further up the chain who can possibly answer your query.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Bigus Dickus

i did my medical on the 21st and somo people are saying that if u dont hear back for a while then thats a good thing ??? im ****in myself for it either way. apparently even if u pass that u still might not get in ive been told because so many are doing the medicals.. anyone know if thats true ???

i did my medical on the 21st and somo people are saying that if u dont hear back for a while then thats a good thing ??? im ****in myself for it either way. apparently even if u pass that u still might not get in ive been told because so many are doing the medicals.. anyone know if thats true ???

Well your blood tests results take a week or two to come back so if there's an issue with them or the Garda vetting there's a good chance you'd get the rejection mail when the results come back so beyond that you might be able asume that you passed. No way of knowing for sure. There was a good few extras called for the medical so it is true that you might not get a place if enough top scoring candidates from the interview pass the medical. Depends on your place in the order of merit.

Well your blood tests results take a week or two to come back so if there's an issue with them or the Garda vetting there's a good chance you'd get the rejection mail when the results come back so beyond that you might be able asume that you passed. No way of knowing for sure. There was a good few extras called for the medical so it is true that you might not get a place if enough top scoring candidates from the interview pass the medical. Depends on your place in the order of merit.

i heard there doing a drug test tru the blood but why else would they be taking the urine test then?
    and 240 got called he said and 120 been taken on.. and i cant believe people are gettin emails saying not to show up for the medical :O:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

i heard there doing a drug test tru the blood but why else would they be taking the urine test then?
    and 240 got called he said and 120 been taken on.. and i cant believe people are gettin emails saying not to show up for the medical :O:O

ye they said they do this evry year and fail rate and people no longer being interested hits 50% and above they normaly have to call few on the panel for medicals

i persum,e urine is to check theres no protein in it (kidney problems) or glucose in it diabeties

• Advertisement

swimfast wrote: »
    i persum,e urine is to check theres no protein in it (kidney problems) or glucose in it diabeties

do u think il be ok coz i do weight training and i take protien and creatine yano

or am i just getting too paro and nervous haha

couldnt tell you i know it puts a lot of strain on your kidneys creatine as long as you didnt overdose on it you should be fine as its naturally found in the body

ahh graaand coz i only started taking it and didnt take it upto 2 weeks before my medical..

and abou 6 or 7 weeks ago i was in a room with my mates and there heavy WEED smokers and i think i got a lil high over the fumes hahaha do u think id be ok regarding the bloods and urine? i did an at home drug test too to clear my mind and i passed it .

just would my blood be ok do u reckon?

ahh graaand coz i only started taking it and didnt take it upto 2 weeks before my medical..

and abou 6 or 7 weeks ago i was in a room with my mates and there heavy WEED smokers and i think i got a lil high over the fumes hahaha do u think id be ok regarding the bloods and urine? i did an at home drug test too to clear my mind and i passed it .

just would my blood be ok do u reckon?

i couldnt tell you i know stuff lasts in your blood longer though

i couldnt tell you i know stuff lasts in your blood longer though

like everwhere on the net says depends how long uve been around it and sayin i should be fine maybe im just worrying too much.

do u think il be ok coz i do weight training and i take protien and creatine yano

Did you tell the Doctor about the creatine? There has been no scientific studies published that indicate creatine has any adverse affects on the body. It's got a bad reputation due to rumour in the fitness industry. If you didn't declare it and an increase in blood creatine levels in found in the test and you didn't tell them it might APPEAR that your kidneys have a problem if they are unaware you supplement your creatine levels, understand?

Did you tell the Doctor about the creatine? There has been no scientific studies published that indicate creatine has any adverse affects on the body. It's got a bad reputation due to rumour in the fitness industry. If you didn't declare it and an increase in blood creatine levels in found in the test and you didn't tell them it might APPEAR that your kidneys have a problem if they are unaware you supplement your creatine levels, understand?

well i didnt say it coz ive only taken it 2 or 3 times and the las time i took it was like 2 weeks before my medical yano

and if they say it to me il just tell them that a was taking creatine, do u have any idea about the 2nd hand weed situation that i was talkin to swimfast about ?

and if they say it to me il just tell them that a was taking creatine, do u have any idea about the 2nd hand weed situation that i was talkin to swimfast about ?

You probably won't be given the chance to explain, you'd just get the rejection mail and no explanation why you failed as there was a question on the medical questionaire about supplements and another form that was filled out on the day about any substances/medication taken in the past month so you had two opportunities to just say it beforehand and be safe rather than sorry. I myself told the Doctor about regularly taking Creatine and it was just noted for when my results come back, but he didn't bat an eyelid. There's no way to know about the weed thing, it depends on the amount ingested, the affect it has on you and your body's capability at clearing it out. Everyone is different, but if you're not a regular user and it was second hand smoke, it's highly unlikely that it's still in your system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You will be grand on the weed. It will not show up in your urine or blood after that much time, even if you were a heavy smoker yourself if you let it a month (a little over) before a test you will pass. The only place it's likely to remain after that time is your hair, but hair is much more expensive to get tested so it's not done.

thanks for all the advice :)

and i was just reading up there and i think il be ok on the creatine because i only took it 3 times at the MOST and the last time was prob even more than 2 weeks before my medical. it says on the net that depends how much i took and said if i took it 3 times a week for 2 weeks that it would be gone in less than 2 weeks..so i should deffo be ok i think

and i was just reading up there and i think il be ok on the creatine because i only took it 3 times at the MOST and the last time was prob even more than 2 weeks before my medical. it says on the net that depends how much i took and said if i took it 3 times a week for 2 weeks that it would be gone in less than 2 weeks..so i should deffo be ok i think

You'll be grand alright, no need to worry. Best of luck :)

were you on a loading period though ?

were you on a loading period though ?

how do u mean a loading period pal?

You'll be grand alright, no need to worry. Best of luck :)

thanks not-a-robot and i just phoned up my mates dad thats in the army and i told him the amount i took and he said not to worry about a thing and said il be grand that there only looking for hugely amounts of creatine yano

how do u mean a loading period pal?

ah if u dont know what that is ull be grand loading period is when u tak 3 servings a day for a week and then after that its just one a day thats the way creatines supposed to be used

ah if u dont know what that is ull be grand loading period is when u tak 3 servings a day for a week and then after that its just one a day thats the way creatines supposed to be used

hahaha u learn something new everyday lol

what date was your medical on swimfast ?

hahaha u learn something new everyday lol

what date was your medical on swimfast ?

13 th naval one on the 5th

• Advertisement

13 th naval one on the 5th

u have them in september like ?

Advertisement