Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

During the medical how do they check for a squint?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bigus Dickus

During the medical how do they check for a squint?

not at all its natural to squint when looking at something blury to try focus ur eyes on it yano. sure i squinted too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

u have them in september like ?

no had army one 13th aug naval one 5th sept

swimfast wrote: »
    no had army one 13th aug naval one 5th sept

ahh im sure ul get one of them haha

not at all its natural to squint when looking at something blury to try focus ur eyes on it yano. sure i squinted too

Sorry when I say squint I mean the condition where one eye drifts off on its own...

Actually what kind of eye exam do they do in the medical? Anything involving covering each eye and looking at the uncovered one?

• Advertisement

Sorry when I say squint I mean the condition where one eye drifts off on its own...

Actually what kind of eye exam do they do in the medical? Anything involving covering each eye and looking at the uncovered one?

ohhh i think i read that question wrong but i dnt think they really care too much if there letting people in with glasses..

and yeah its done tru a machine thingy like it covers one eye for you its mad ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

your looking into a machine for the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

They dont even look at your eyes, you just look through a machine that does your colour vision/visual acuity, you could walk in cross eyed and they wont even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Is the medical the same for the Army and the Navy...?

I find it a bit odd if someone has progressed to this stage of the competition having to do two medicals unless there's something radically different between them given that they admit that the medicals are quite costly.
    Surely a bit of joined up thinking between the two branches of the Defence Forces could come up with one medical that would be acceptable to both branches...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

Is the medical the same for the Army and the Navy...?

I find it a bit odd if someone has progressed to this stage of the competition having to do two medicals unless there's something radically different between them given that they admit that the medicals are quite costly.
    Surely a bit of joined up thinking between the two branches of the Defence Forces could come up with one medical that would be acceptable to both branches...?

That actually was the case for candidates in the Southern Brigade that had medicals for both, one medical counted for the other as long as you made sure to contact the manpower office to let them know the date and time you did your first medical so they could request the results.

• Advertisement

CIGANO wrote: »
    They dont even look at your eyes, you just look through a machine that does your colour vision/visual acuity, you could walk in cross eyed and they wont even notice.

Really? That's interesting. Do they not check for things like double vision then?

Also one last question, do they check your medical records?

Btw, just to cover myself here, firstly I don't even have double vision, I have a squint which sometimes causes me to see double, but whoever is examining me might get picky.. I'm also not even in the competition so it doesn't really matter, just wondering for future reference. :)

Really? That's interesting. Do they not check for things like double vision then?

Btw, just to cover myself here, firstly I don't even have double vision, I have a squint which sometimes causes me to see double, but whoever is examining me might get picky.. I'm also not even in the competition so it doesn't really matter, just wondering for future reference. :)

i think they shud take u on... if you see double atleast your guaranteed to hit the ****in target :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Plus you'll have twice as many targets to aim for....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

They dont check your medical records they just hope you are honest on the questionnaire, the dont check for double vision either and judging by my medical they dont check depth perception either.

anybody hear any word yet on whether they got accepted or not after their medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Anybody have any idea how many people are on the panel from this years competition and is their much chance of being called up from this panel

Anybody have any idea how many people are on the panel from this years competition and is their much chance of being called up from this panel

i heard a lad thats on the panel found out that he has a medical date for early next year apparently :/

i heard a lad thats on the panel found out that he has a medical date for early next year apparently :/

i doubt recruitment would be this ahead of themselves while their still processing medicals.. just thinking the df reorginisation could result in less chance of recruits being needed in the next yr.

we also received emails saying panels were being amalgamated so does anyone have a guesstimate of how many will be on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 zolinho

Do you think a broken leg will be disqualificiation from the army?

it was 5 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

zolinho wrote: »

Provided it has healed and not left any limp or other defects then you will be fine. Arriving in for medical on crutches on the other hand ...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Going crazy here! When will we know about induction?!!

RedWolfCQB wrote: »
    Going crazy here! When will we know about induction?!!
    As recruits could be sent anywhere in ireland id reckon you will hear after the last medical which is the first week of sept i think.. Best of luck lad.

zolinho wrote: »

Provided it has healed and not left any limp or other defects then you will be fine. Arriving in for medical on crutches on the other hand ...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Turbobudz

Lads i was talking to person from the Manpower Office last week and he informed me that the recruits will be trained in Gormanston or Dundalk... I just thought you's might like to know.

I went for my medical the 16th August and haven't heard anything back yet so maybe no news is good news??

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

i heard one platoon to gormo one to dundalk and one to limerick and that theyre taking them in september october and november.

emails should be sent out from the 4th of september onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PDF101

Definitely will be two platoons in Kilkenny lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ashley21

Would it be worth wearing a suit for the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

ashley21 wrote: »
    Would it be worth wearing a suit for the medical?

Not really, but dress tidy. Your clothes will be in a neat pile for most of the medical :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Don't show up with a full beard either. One of the day I went for medicals was sent away to shave before the doc would look at him.

Advertisement