Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

it opens in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Its good to read that we will be applying to the Army as a whole, it takes away the pressure of trying to pick the brigade that might possibly get the most recruits. Good luck to everyone applying.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

yes the wait is over, it would be helpfull to have any tips for interview on this thread now. how long untill they start testing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

how soon can you expect the fitness test?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

Taken from the Defence Forces Facebook page:
    The Defence Forces are now seeking applications for general service recruitment places for the Army (480 places) and Naval Service (120 places) as well as instrumentalists for the School of Music. Please see here http://www.military.ie/careers for more details or contact recruitment@defenceforces.ie if you have any questions.

Does this mean that all the 600 vacancies announced a few weeks ago are all for recruits and cadetships are a separate number outside of that? Or does the term "general service recruitment" include cadetships?

• Advertisement

Tybalt wrote: »

Does this mean that all the 600 vacancies announced a few weeks ago are all for recruits and cadetships are a separate number outside of that? Or does the term "general service recruitment" include cadetships?
    I dont think its just for reruits as they have to keep it at 9500 caped, so this would be cadets as well

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

So where are they going to get the number for cadets from?

I heard on the grape vine that there might not be a cadetship competition beginning until the start of the summer. Something to do with having it that seniors and juniors will be with each other for a certain amount of time, and something to do with the cadetships being 15 months now so they have to take them in every second year later than the other year.

BUT, that sounds like cods wallop so I don't know. Someone who's in the Army will probably correct that idea fairly lively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Tybalt wrote: »

"General Service" means general service as an enlisted rank, not commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

shakin wrote: »
    how soon can you expect the fitness test?

from watching the last comp, a month roughly.

anyone know how long the last competition took from day 1 to the first rec platoon going in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tommylufc

I applied today but i'm 25 in August, they didn't clarify upper age limits on the application other than ask if you are 25 or over at present

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

According to RTÉ:
    A competition for about 25 cadetships is expected to be approved in the next few weeks.

RTÉ - News - Ireland - Defence Forces looking to recruit 600 for Army and Navy

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

c-90 wrote: »
    from watching the last comp, a month roughly.

I hope that rings true for this years Comp..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Kerry2012 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Great news today! Does anyone know what the eyesight requirements are for a general recruit? Also, is laser eye surgery allowed by the IDF? I know it has been under review recently, just want to know if there has been any update! Thanks ;)

What does the info booklet say about it? It is your bible

(FFS lads, and you expect the DF to trust you with a loaded weapon?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PDF101

Just finished my application there! Could anyone tell me what my chances are of being successful if I have never served in the reserves? I will be graduating from university in 2 months which I hope will stand to me. I also box at a relatively high level which may also help.
    Thanks in advance

My guess is that it depends on how well you do in the tests leading up to and including the interview, I'd say that boxing might give you a little edge..
    I'm in the reserves meself for about 6/7 years now, but even at that you have just as much a chance as i do..
    Good luck regardless.. think we all need it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

You could have all the qualifications and sports experience behind you but if you give a shit interview its worth nothing.

Like any job really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Whats all this talk about eyesight for ?? Sure glasses are allowed :/ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the_boss85

Lads, I'm too old for the army so I applied for the navy.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know much about it.

Just wondering what people have heard about the application process, is it any different to the army?

And I'd love to know what people know about the job as a naval officer!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Lads, I'm too old for the army so I applied for the navy.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know much about it.

Just wondering what people have heard about the application process, is it any different to the army?

And I'd love to know what people know about the job as a naval officer!

the application process is the very same.

PM any questions you have about the service I'll do my best to answer them.

If you are applying for General Service intake you will NEVER be an comissioned officer, you can go all the way to Warrent Officer which is the Naval rank like a regimental sergeant major.

Not knowing to much about the Naval Service does not bode well for sucess, get reading and educate yourself.

The Irish Naval Service is not a normal job, it is not 9-5, it asks more from you than any other type of military service, it will impact on every fibre of your being and every facet of your life.

It is a sad reality that many young men, apply, sign up, train for 16 wks basic training, then do all their branch training, then go to sea for a few months and then leave.

It begs to ask the question what if any consideration they gave to spending their lives at sea?

I would urge any young person who can work hard and is adaptable to consider a life in the Naval Service.

the application process is the very same.

PM any questions you have about the service I'll do my best to answer them.

i aplied last time and got trough but didnt get in due to my garda vetting form not coming back in time. would you have any tips for the interview. i did ok last time but i want to do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Anybody heard anything about the physical test yet ??

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Anybody heard anything about the physical test yet ??

Hello? Applications opened last week? Closing date is?????
    Expect to hear nothing till after closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

i aplied last time and got trough but didnt get in due to my garda vetting form not coming back in time. would you have any tips for the interview. i did ok last time but i want to do better.

My tips would be prepare yourself well, read the daily newspapers, read about the defence forces, make sure you present yourself well that you are not some thick who just reads the sports pages of the star, if asked whom the commander in chief of the armed forces is dont say Barack Obama.

Educate yourself.
    Dress well.
    Speak Well and be confident.
    Think about your past experiences and be able to give examples of when you showed leadership, teamwork, work ethic, civic spirit etc.
    Dont bull****, you will be sitting in front of people who have finely tuned bs moniters.
    Be open, honest and earnest.
    The modern military offers an amazing career to someone who can apply themselves, if you are honest, hardworking and adaptable you will enjoy the military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭JayJay123

Hi! I just have a few questions about applying etc any help wold be hugely appreciated! :)

Is there a minimum amount of women they take in or is it just a case of whoever is succesfull or not?
    In my application where can I mention I play gaelic football and soccer? I dont see a space for it.
    I dont have any college qualifications,(worked since I left school..im now 23) and I was made redundant 2 years ago and have only had one temporary job in that time.. will it matter that I have been unemployed for that long? Also do they ring your places of work for refrences?

Also any help with the layout of the interview, what is asked etc would be so helpfull!

Again any help would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PDF101

Hello? Applications opened last week? Closing date is?????
    Expect to hear nothing till after closing date.

The next phase of testing will start approx 3 weeks after the close of applications.

Anyone know when the close of applications is going to happen? or do they just randomly decide?

Anyone know when the close of applications is going to happen? or do they just randomly decide?

RTFM
    General Service Applications

The Defence Forces are now accepting applications for the following General Service positions. Close of applications is the 22nd April 2012 at 23.59hrs.
    http://www.military.ie/

Didn't even cop it Goldie Cheers.. my application went in the minute it went up i was just wonderin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Buttmucher09

Just Wondering Whats My Chances Of Succeding. Im Only 18 Years Of Age And Only Have A Leaving Cert No College Degree..Im A Sport Fanatic Though And Have Represented Ireland At Various Levels In Soccer And Have Played Eircom League Of Ireland..?...Any Feedback Is Helpful...Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just Wondering Whats My Chances Of Succeding. Im Only 18 Years Of Age And Only Have A Leaving Cert No College Degree..Im A Sport Fanatic Though And Have Represented Ireland At Various Levels In Soccer And Have Played Eircom League Of Ireland..?...Any Feedback Is Helpful...Thx

Go for it and find out. No offence intended, but if you're wondering whether you should apply based on the likelihood of succeeding, your commitment and willpower sounds pretty half-arsed.

Advertisement