Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I know for a fact that the DF themselves are angry at the way the whole thing has been done, blaming 'outside interference' for the debacle.
    If they'd been allowed to handle the process themselves the first couple of platoons would already be 'sleeping out under the stars' in a nice warm foxhole half way up the side of a hill....!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

goldie what part of the PDF do you serve in, as you seem like someone in the know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

beco2010 wrote: »
    goldie what part of the PDF do you serve in, as you seem like someone in the know

I'm a well placed civil servant that deal with Naval officers on a weekly basis. That's all you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

It really has been a farce from start to finish (whenever that is), I heard recently of several guys who were left having to decide between waiting for the DF to get back to them to offer them a place or accept a college place, in the end they simply gave up and accepted the college courses......

You were told at the very start that the first recruit platoons will start in late September/October....

You were told at the very start that the first recruit platoons will start in late September/October....

Yes but that's not exactly much use to you if you're left hanging around til the last minute waiting to find out if you're in one of them....!

So far we've seen people thrown out of the competition because they've lowered the age limit part way through, people getting misleading e-mails leading them to believe they've been unsuccessful when in fact they haven't, people being told their still in the competition only to receive an e-mail a short time later telling them they're out, people getting an e-mail telling them not to turn up for the medical they've been called for, units gearing up to train recruits only to find out they're being disbanded or merged, the list goes on and on...

Lets face it, this whole process has hardly been an example of 'military precision'....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Lets face it, this whole process has hardly been an example of 'military precision'....

Welcome to Ireland.

Yes but that's not exactly much use to you if you're left hanging around til the last minute waiting to find out if you're in one of them....!

So far we've seen people thrown out of the competition because they've lowered the age limit part way through, people getting misleading e-mails leading them to believe they've been unsuccessful when in fact they haven't, people being told their still in the competition only to receive an e-mail a short time later telling them they're out, people getting an e-mail telling them not to turn up for the medical they've been called for, units gearing up to train recruits only to find out they're being disbanded or merged, the list goes on and on...

There's a phrase everyone in the DF is familiar with.

"on the truck-off the truck".

It's all part of the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Better get used to it, it's all part of the training.

In between the exciting times, your going to be spending 20+ years of your career waiting on keys, waiting on officers, waiting on paperwork, or waiting on news.

Army life is about two things, being in an extreme hurry/activity, or waiting to be in an extreme hurry/activity. There's no in between.

Hence the tried and tested army expression "Hurry up and wait"

Always use any waiting time, and this applies to pre-recruitment time as well, to be better prepared for the times of extreme activity. You'll always wish you had when they occur.

Do more sports, physical training, preparation etc.

A soldier can't do enough of those either on or off duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Got my enail for 22 oct in the navy :) anything useful i should bring ?

Congratulations.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Dannylawrenson

swimfast wrote: »

Congratulation.... Thats great news you got a mail, didnt think they would be letting applicants know until the first week in Oct as to whether or not they are in on the 22 Oct
    Im waiting on news myself, Im number 5 on the panel and was called for my medical and passed everything on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Water wings! :P

Well done!

Well done!

haha cheers
    but seriously any suggestions blister plasters and foot powder iv been told do i have to bring me own iron etc?

Well done!

haha cheers
    but seriously any suggestions blister plasters and foot powder iv been told do i have to bring me own iron etc?

They will send out the list, or you should have it now. That will suffice!

They will send out the list, or you should have it now. That will suffice!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nhoj88

Got my email too for navy 22nd of october too, im delighted:)!!

Will we be able to park our cars down on the base permanently or is it a bad idea for me to bring it down?? Any other info you might think would be helpful would be great....

Don't think your allowed a car for the first few months.

nhoj88 wrote: »

Will we be able to park our cars down on the base permanently or is it a bad idea for me to bring it down?? Any other info you might think would be helpful would be great....

see ya there

If you are allowed bring your car(and it would not normally be the case) it would be parked at the other side of the island to where you are, and you would have no access to it for a few weeks.

Bring your car down once you pass out.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭qwertzuio

Anyone get email from the army? I know they said emails will be out at the start of october... But the navy lads got theirs,and i just want to know if anybody knows anything?

• Advertisement

If you are allowed bring your car(and it would not normally be the case) it would be parked at the other side of the island to where you are, and you would have no access to it for a few weeks.

Bring your car down once you pass out.
    thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Congrats to the lads who got the good news.Are ye in co. cork?The buddy has heard nothing yet.

see ya there

will do, and we'll see how fast you really can swim:D

see ya there

will do, and we'll see how fast you really can swim:D
    Haha will do :)

Photos on the NS facebook page of the New Batch of recruits getting sworn in today.

And the fun begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

I assumed we'd have to arrive at the naval base/Army barracks dressed pretty smartly? From looking at the photos jeans and a tshirt will suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Anyone hear rumours of more platoons in the new year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

I was on the Navy panel, and I got called for a medical today. I know loads of people are waiting on job offers and have got through the medical ok.

But what exactly happens in the medical? I know they look at your medical history and check your bloods, urine, eye's, ears, but is there anything else they check for? or do?

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dannylawrenson

I was on the Navy panel, and I got called for a medical today. I know loads of people are waiting on job offers and have got through the medical ok.

But what exactly happens in the medical? I know they look at your medical history and check your bloods, urine, eye's, ears, but is there anything else they check for? or do?

Thanks lads

They check you limbs, spine, ankles. What number on the panel were you??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

They check you limbs, spine, ankles. What number on the panel were you??

18, id say that up to 30 are garunteed to get called up from the panel for the Navy. How do they check them?

Advertisement