Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Some people who were on the panel who applied to the curragh were called for medicals .. their must have been alot of fails at the medical stage or vetting or somethin

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭qwertzuio

ashley21 wrote: »
    I was on to my manpower office there and he told me at the moment the 3 platoons are full but with drop outs theres still a chance for those who did there medicals first time around. He said not to get my hopes up though. He did say that IF they do recruit next year I would be able to take a spot then.

Im not sure where that leaves the panel.

Hope that helps
    Its a joke!!! Why cant they email us and tell whats the story with this whole thing. 2 and half months waiting since my medical.....

its bad alright least they could do is post an update on the website and let everyone know where they stand its tough waiting this long not knowing if you can make plans or whatever like.. but tbh we just have to deal with it

its bad alright least they could do is post an update on the website and let everyone know where they stand its tough waiting this long not knowing if you can make plans or whatever like.. but tbh we just have to deal with it

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Its a pity they don't put up regular updates on their facebook page....

Oh wait, they do.

• Advertisement

where did i say they dont post regular updates? i clearly stated they should post an update in regards to the november platoons and where people stood. as well as being a courtesy to let people know it would save recruitment sifting through tons of emails re the exact same thing... no brainer really

where did i say they dont post regular updates? i clearly stated they should post an update in regards to the november platoons and where people stood. as well as being a courtesy to let people know it would save recruitment sifting through tons of emails re the exact same thing... no brainer really

Why should they? Is there any other job that does?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Why should they? Is there any other job that does?

if your asking why should they have the courtsey to let people know, then loads. get to the final stage of any recruitment competion and youd be hard pressed to find an organisation that wouldnt inform unsucessful applicants. especially when were only talking about 50 or so emails per mpo.

anyway im sure we will be told but they did say there might be a few still taken on this year so theyre probably waiting until they have replaced as far as possible any drop outs.

im sure most jobs tell potential future staff where they stand? and im sure the defence forces will i was just saying it would save time and resources to post one update aimed at everyone you know kill alot of birds with one stone. there was absolutely no need to try to be smart about it

im sure most jobs tell potential future staff where they stand? and im sure the defence forces will i was just saying it would save time and resources to post one update aimed at everyone you know kill alot of birds with one stone. there was absolutely no need to try to be smart about it

They dont. I applied for my current job in 2002. Heard nothing until I got offerred the job in 2005. Similarly, I applied for a position internally in march of this year. In july I was informed I was successful and am on a panel for appointment. I will have no idea whether or not I will get appointed until (a) I get offerred an appointment or (B) the panel lapses.

Thats how it works in the Public Sector unfortunately. You get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

It's a disgraceful way to treat future employees, my son is one who's been left waiting, he didn't go back to collage, he has put his life on hold hopping that this time he's made it, the people who are behind this fiasco want shooting, "thats how the public sector works", well shame on them, these are young men and woman who have lives to get on with.

It was his choice not to go back to college. If he had asked the DF they would have told him to return to his course and await an offer.

It was his choice not to go back to college. If he had asked the DF they would have told him to return to his course and await an offer.

There is a hell of a lot of expense involve in that decision, do you think the DF give a toss about that ?

There is a hell of a lot of expense involve in that decision, do you think the DF give a toss about that ?

Did you ask them? It is not unknown for those doing courses etc to get deferred starts in order to finish their education.

my post was never anything against the defence forces i was clearly saying it would save alot of time and manpower to post one update. why should they you say? well why should they waste time replying to emails when they can write one update. people just have to be patient but a bit of clarity isnt difficult

Recruitment Update - The third and final intake of recruits for the Defence Forces for 2012 will take place on 19 November. These Recruits will be trained in the West and East of the country, the Defence Forces Training Centre (Curragh) and the Naval Service. Successful applicants have been notified at this stage. In the event of recruitment to the Defence Forces being sanctioned by Government in 2013, applicants whose names are on existing panels may be contacted with a view to enlistment in the Defence Forces depending on numbers and timing. Any applicant who has a specific query should contact the interview centre (barracks) where their interview took place, contact details will be on previous correspondence they have received or www.military.ie

ok theres an update :-P all i was looking for.. besides its not as bad a wait for me as others i only passed my medical last week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

So basically if you haven't got the acceptance email already you are not getting in unless you are called up as a replacement or they recruit within a certain timeframe next year?

Wonder will this update stop people giving out about not hearing anything back, somehow I doubt it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

Well looks like for those of us on the panel we'll have to wait til 2013 :( >:( I just hope we don't have to go through the phycos and interviews again then it would have been pure pointless being on a panel in the first place. Having to go through the fitness test is understandable though as they'd have to make sure those of us on the panel are still fit. Then after the fitness get called straight to the medicals, its only fair, I mean I worked my arse off for a place in this organisation only to be told I was but on a panel EVEN though at the interview I told them I'v been involved in scouting for the past 16 years and that certain things a soldier does I'v been doing for years (hiking, camping, backwoods survival, knowing how to look after my feet, gear organisation, map work, years of first aid, years of being in a structured team environment, countless times being on VERY physically demanding MPC's) But NO its still not good enough EVEN though I can guarantee their's people who have made though to training with half the ambition and drive as I'v got (not trying to make myself out to be the next prodigy soldier or anything I'm just saying that there are going to be waisters who somehow got though and drop out within and first weeks of training) Look just had to get that off my chest, that's all. Cant wait for next years recruitment to come around :)

applicants whose names are on existing panels may be contacted with a view to enlistment in the Defence Forces depending on numbers and timing. [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bank on anything these people put out, not will be but may be, dangling the carrot to the last. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

applicants whose names are on existing panels may be contacted with a view to enlistment in the Defence Forces depending on numbers and timing. [URL="http://www.military.ie[/QUOTE"][/QUOTE[/URL]]

I wouldn't bank on anything these people put out, not will be but may be, dangling the carrot to the last. :rolleyes:

The chances are they will use the panel through people dropping out for whatever reason. It's not dangling a carrot, it's reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

I find the whole situation ridiculous. I was called up to do a medical for the Navy on the 9th of October with ten others. 10 more where called up to do the medical on the 10th of October, and 10 more where called up previously. So 30 people in total where called up off the panel.

Before the medical started we where told that everybody who did the medical on the day I did it (9th October) that they didn't have all the numbers needed for the November class, and if you passed then you had a good chance of making it. Two people failed the medical ahead of me. One because of hearing, and another because he was colour blind.

I went to the doctor after all the tests, and he said that I passed and they where just waiting for bloods to come back. I then heard nothing untill this facebook update.

Im just wondering why was there so many people called up?

And if there was something wrong with my bloods or urine will they tell me?

I don't have a criminal record, and if they found something wrong should they tell me?

I know this is a bit of a rant, im just confused to the whole situation. So if anybody has any "helpful" insight can you please share?

I find the whole situation ridiculous. I was called up to do a medical for the Navy on the 9th of October with ten others. 10 more where called up to do the medical on the 10th of October, and 10 more where called up previously. So 30 people in total where called up off the panel.

Before the medical started we where told that everybody who did the medical on the day I did it (9th October) that they didn't have all the numbers needed for the November class, and if you passed then you had a good chance of making it. Two people failed the medical ahead of me. One because of hearing, and another because he was colour blind.

I went to the doctor after all the tests, and he said that I passed and they where just waiting for bloods to come back. I then heard nothing untill this facebook update.

Im just wondering why was there so many people called up?

And if there was something wrong with my bloods or urine will they tell me?

I don't have a criminal record, and if they found something wrong should they tell me?

I know this is a bit of a rant, im just confused to the whole situation. So if anybody has any "helpful" insight can you please share?

Read the post above in red. It tells you who you should ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DVPJC88

I did my medical the first week of September so you can imagine stressin this long and finding out by a facebook update that I wont be taken on. I was in the first group of medicals, I wasnt called from a panel. I was told I passed pending bloods. I still cant believe Im out of the competition so Im calling tomorrow because I need some closure on this from the recruiting officer, after putting my life on hold practically for best part of the year, not from a bloody facebook update.

I emailed them twice,they dont reply... They called people for the army from the panel as well.but for what?? There are many people like me,who did the medical first time around,So why did they call people from the panel? I have no criminal record,and still didnt heared anything except this fb update... am i on the panel or what? putting notes on fb page is not the best way to inform those who gave up many things to get into the df and have gone through this 8months since they started the whole procces.

I emailed them twice,they dont reply... They called people for the army from the panel as well.but for what?? There are many people like me,who did the medical first time around,So why did they call people from the panel? I have no criminal record,and still didnt heared anything except this fb update... am i on the panel or what? putting notes on fb page is not the best way to inform those who gave up many things to get into the df and have gone through this 8months since they started the whole procces.

DVPJC88 wrote: »
    I did my medical the first week of September so you can imagine stressin this long and finding out by a facebook update that I wont be taken on. I was in the first group of medicals, I wasnt called from a panel. I was told I passed pending bloods. I still cant believe Im out of the competition so Im calling tomorrow because I need some closure on this from the recruiting officer, after putting my life on hold practically for best part of the year, not from a bloody facebook update.

Exactly!! This is what i am talking about! 8 months from the start,for me 2and half months waiting since the medical,had it in mid august.and getting notified by the fb page......

I know how your all feeling, my son is in bits over this pathetic statement, what a disgrace, these people seem to think its ok to 8uck with peoples heads because they want it so bad that they'll play the game and stay stum, makes me think, would i really want my lad led by these "people", they couldn't lead a dog on a lead.

I know how your all feeling, my son is in bits over this pathetic statement, what a disgrace, these people seem to think its ok to 8uck with peoples heads because they want it so bad that they'll play the game and stay stum, makes me think, would i really want my lad led by these "people", they couldn't lead a dog on a lead.

This is outrageous! i spent about 500 Euro for this competition (i don't mind,just tellig) i live faar from the baracks,so bus tickets 4 times,i had to go to B&B 2 times,for interview and medical because each was on the morning,and there was no bus from my village such early.i am not complaining about this because i knew that i'll have to travel alot and i enjoyed to take part in this recruitment competition.but i think i can expected to be informed by personnal email,not with fb update.after 8 moths of waiting.sorry if its sounds hard,but im disapointed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

An absolute shambles from start to finish and totally symptomatic of all that's wrong with with the organisation and the public service as a whole. They're not undermanned they're just so poorly organised and badly run that they really don't have a clue what state they're in or how many people they need.
    God help us all if ever have to call on them to defend the state, its time for a root and branch reform of the whole organisation from top to bottom, and time to re-evaluate exactly how big it needs to be and whether the money we pour in there couldn't be better spent elsewhere....

Advertisement