Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

It can all be summed up quite simply with one word.......unprofessional. I've spent a while now trying to get into the df after 5 years in the rdf and I'm fed up I gave up on them a few months back. If I get a phone call tomorrow telling me I have a place I'll say no purely on the basis that it recruitment is worked like this what's the rest of the organisation run like. I'm now in here recruitment process for the British army and tbh they couldn't be easier to deal with so far, even if there's a back log or a slow in the process they email you and let you know where things are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

People really need to calm down.

The DF have had a re-org go on in the middle of recruitment, which would not have helped matters. Troops getting moved all over the place tends to slow things down a bit believe it or not, not too mention the huge amount if work involved in the process of getting troops overseas, the number of medicals and fitness tests this year would have been crazy.

The emails for successful applicants have been sent out, these people are a priority to be informed for obvious reasons. Emails were sent out and they gave those people a week to accept or decline the offer. Then they have to allocate these people into what platoon they will be training in, this takes time. They put a notice on fb detailing the story with emails, if you didn't get one you are not starting in November. Those being placed on a panel may get one to inform them of this this week or next, which is only a week after the successful applicants have been notified.

They are undermanned, anybody who has spent time in a barracks will know this. They are also one of the better run organisations in the public sector despite what people here think.

If you are moaning and cribbing now, I can't imagine what you will be like when you are giving 5 minutes to be on parade in No 1s then back in again to change into DPMs for another parade in 5 minutes time.

Think of the logistics involved and in what environment this is currently being run in, then come back and give out about the DF.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

People really need to calm down.

The DF have had a re-org go on in the middle of recruitment, which would not have helped matters. Troops getting moved all over the place tends to slow things down a bit believe it or not, not too mention the huge amount if work involved in the process of getting troops overseas, the number of medicals and fitness tests this year would have been crazy.

The emails for successful applicants have been sent out, these people are a priority to be informed for obvious reasons. Emails were sent out and they gave those people a week to accept or decline the offer. Then they have to allocate these people into what platoon they will be training in, this takes time. They put a notice on fb detailing the story with emails, if you didn't get one you are not starting in November. Those being placed on a panel may get one to inform them of this this week or next, which is only a week after the successful applicants have been notified.

They are undermanned, anybody who has spent time in a barracks will know this. They are also one of the better run organisations in the public sector despite what people here think.

If you are moaning and cribbing now, I can't imagine what you will be like when you are giving 5 minutes to be on parade in No 1s then back in again to change into DPMs for another parade in 5 minutes time.

Think of the logistics involved and in what environment this is currently being run in, then come back and give out about the DF.....

People are entitled to there opinion. You sound like the minister of Defence. As you can see people spent alot of money, time, and effort to get this far. Then to receive a message on facebook saying your not needed.

People are entitled to be angry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

And as for using Facebook as the primary channel of communication.....?
    That's just lazy...
    What other organisation does this...:confused:
    By all means use it as a secondary channel of communication but they should not automatically assume that everybody uses Facebook.

This whole exercise has been a useful insight into the complete disarray the Defence Forces are currently operating under.
    Zero for organisational skills,
    Zero for 'effective communications' skills
    Just what you want from the organisation trusted with the safety and security of the state.....!
    Totally unfit for purpose......

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Facebook is a modern means of communication i understand its use completely.. people who passed a medical but didnt get in(like myself) have a very good chance of getting in. this could be as a replacement or if future recruits are required.. now look at it this way, they took on extra lads for medicals for the purpose of some being replacements. their was always gonna be some who didnt get it. also the email for medicals specifically states its not an offer of employment. im sure alot of us will be required once the defence budget is known and once they know how many people have left the DF this year. also if the air corp need recruits they will come from the army panel. have faith stay fit. prepare to wait

• Advertisement

Facebook is a modern means of communication i understand its use completely.. people who passed a medical but didnt get in(like myself) have a very good chance of getting in. this could be as a replacement or if future recruits are required.. now look at it this way, they took on extra lads for medicals for the purpose of some being replacements. their was always gonna be some who didnt get it. also the email for medicals specifically states its not an offer of employment. im sure alot of us will be required once the defence budget is known and once they know how many people have left the DF this year. also if the air corp need recruits they will come from the army panel. have faith stay fit. prepare to wait

How many replacements do you actually think they will need?

Also, "if" future recruits are required. I hope they are. Lets hope the budget allows for the people on the panel to get recruited straight away, and not have us apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

He'll go far, on obvious yes sir no sir shall i bend over now sir.

aimed at who my good man? look theirs looking at it in a positive light or losing all hope completely. how many do you suppose passed their medical but didnt get a job? 80? 120? two or three platoons worth.. im sure they will get sanction to take these people on and maybe more. its an army we are applying to if we cant take pressure now theirs no hope when the **** hits the fan. theirs no way to know how many replacements will be needed last i heard their were 12 recruit drop outs in the curraghs first platoon. wen i was called to my medical last week 12 were called. id hope i had a pretty good chance of getting in. i doubt the whole panel will be used the competition before this ones panel still had people on it but was dissolved.. i wasnt trying to be a smart arse about it at all just saying the army covered their arses by saying a medical wasnt a job offer. im just trying to say we need to be ready as we could receive an email on a friday saying were needed on a monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

And as for using Facebook as the primary channel of communication.....?
    That's just lazy...
    What other organisation does this...:confused:
    By all means use it as a secondary channel of communication but they should not automatically assume that everybody uses Facebook.

This whole exercise has been a useful insight into the complete disarray the Defence Forces are currently operating under.
    Zero for organisational skills,
    Zero for 'effective communications' skills
    Just what you want from the organisation trusted with the safety and security of the state.....!
    Totally unfit for purpose......
    An absolute shambles from start to finish and totally symptomatic of all that's wrong with with the organisation and the public service as a whole. They're not undermanned they're just so poorly organised and badly run that they really don't have a clue what state they're in or how many people they need.
    God help us all if ever have to call on them to defend the state, its time for a root and branch reform of the whole organisation from top to bottom, and time to re-evaluate exactly how big it needs to be and whether the money we pour in there couldn't be better spent elsewhere....

The best thing you can do is write a Parlimentary Question, through your local T.D to the Minister for Defence. If you are so concerned about the recruitment process. You can outline your grieviences and you may get a reply.

Unfortunately your anger, ignorance and insufficient knowledge of any of the workings of a nationwide recruitment campaign are the biggest factors here. You are poisoning the thread with idiotic statements. You need to calm down. I have not read back far enough in this thread, so I am not sure if you or a family member has applied. To be honest, if your posting traits carry over to your real life, I am glad you or your family member are not members of the Defence Forces.

Opinionated "hotheads" with a lack of understanding, factual statements or flexibility do not gel with others in our type of environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

People are entitled to there opinion. You sound like the minister of Defence. As you can see people spent alot of money, time, and effort to get this far. Then to receive a message on facebook saying your not needed.

People are entitled to be angry

I sound like the Minister of Defence because I have a rational view on the whole situation?

Yes people are entitled to their opinion but not if its completely slanderous of an organisation without any proper grounded reasoning.

People who got in received emails last week, so for those on to panel not to receive an email yet is fair tbh, as they are not the priority.

I have pointed out many reasons why the recruitment is taking its time, you may choose to accept them or not, I don't really care.

What, someone who actually does what they are told without question by their superiors is a bad trait to enter into a military organisation with? Probably for the best if you or a relative of yours didnt get in with the above attitude, for their own benefit of course....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 DVPJC88

lads i think you should ring up where you applied and see if you can find out the status of your application especially the people who passed everything and still heard nothing. theres a very good chance your vetting forms havnt been sent back yet which you cant blame the defense forces for. the GCVU get upto 10,000 vetting forms a day. theres a serious backlog because almost every job in the country and some student courses require vetting forms. maybe this way you can try your best to follow up on your vetting form and see if you can speed up the process as your in urgent need since the last platoon starts 19Nov.
    i understand how upset people are after 8 months of being on edge not knowing if your going to fail or pass after all your efforts and putting your life on hold but find out all the facts before ranting at people who most likely arnt to blame and in this case i honestly believe theres no fault on anyones part.
    im not having a go i just want to help while theres still a fighting chance of getting the carrer youve worked so hard for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Everyone calm the f**k down.

1. The recruitment unit within the DF isnt the biggest in the world, nor should it be considering how many recruits are being taken on in these austere times.

2. The vetting forms are backlogged. You and me may both have completed everything equally but if my vetting form returned first then obviously I would get in ahead of you - not that I did, im in the RDF.

3. The sheer amount of paperwork involved to take one panel of applicants from initial contact through fitness, interviews, medicals, vetting, etc right up to rejection or acceptance will fell a small forest, so step back, sit down and chill the f**k.

I personally understand you're frustration, I went through it many years ago both for enlisted and cadets. Its not nice, but if you dont understand the system then ask questions about it and find out but dont go ranting off on something you dont know much about.

Heres a tip

Get on the bus get off the bus

Learn the above, repeat and recite

Its something you will get used to with ALL armies.

Other than that best of luck, but no more "rage against the machine" unless you have legitimate cause, will be tolerated on this thread - take that as a warning.

DVPJC88 wrote: »
    lads i think you should ring up where you applied and see if you can find out the status of your application especially the people who passed everything and still heard nothing. theres a very good chance your vetting forms havnt been sent back yet which you cant blame the defense forces for. the GCVU get upto 10,000 vetting forms a day. theres a serious backlog because almost every job in the country and some student courses require vetting forms. maybe this way you can try your best to follow up on your vetting form and see if you can speed up the process as your in urgent need since the last platoon starts 19Nov.
    i understand how upset people are after 8 months of being on edge not knowing if your going to fail or pass after all your efforts and putting your life on hold but find out all the facts before ranting at people who most likely arnt to blame and in this case i honestly believe theres no fault on anyones part.
    im not having a go i just want to help while theres still a fighting chance of getting the carrer youve worked so hard for.

I phoned up and was told that im on a reserve panel, and I was given a number also. My Garda vetting, and medical were fine.

I was told that if the required number of people drop out before training, then I will get called before November 19th. Im not sure though about replacing people dropping out of the training two, or three weeks in to it?

Will we still get called up even if we are a few weeks behind the rest of the group?

Does anybody have a "helpful opinion" with this situation?

And my number is between one and five.....

I phoned up and was told that im on a reserve panel, and I was given a number also. My Garda vetting, and medical were fine.

I was told that if the required number of people drop out before training, then I will get called before November 19th. Im not sure though about replacing people dropping out of the training two, or three weeks in to it?

Will we still get called up even if we are a few weeks behind the rest of the group?

Does anybody have a "helpful opinion" with this situation?

And my number is between one and five.....

I have been involved with Platoons where 6 weeks into the training, new Recruits were brought in to replace the drop outs. It is unfair on instructors and Recruits alike to introduce new Recruits at that stage.

3-4 weeks is the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Facebook is a modern means of communication i understand its use completely...

Plus it gives the Defence Forces the option to 'unfriend' anyone any hostile nations.....

Plus it gives the Defence Forces the option to 'unfriend' anyone any hostile nations.....

:rolleyes:

did you come up with that all on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DAN123123

I recieved an email from the Defence force in August saying I was placed on the panel so what does that accually mean ? ? Im asking now because I thought it meant we skip all the fitness etc next year and go straight to medicals but I am not sure. ALSO they never gave me a number in the panel :/

The army see people on the panel as being ready to move on to medical stage. You dont do the fitness or interview again. Their are people on the panel who have been called for medicals and their are people who had medicals originally but didnt get placed in a platoon so they are on the panel. Nobody from the army got panel numbers as their putting the panels from each brigade together to make one panel. You could try ringing the barracks you applied to and ask for some info. If recruitment is sanctioned in 2013 they will take from the panel.

The army see people on the panel as being ready to move on to medical stage. You dont do the fitness or interview again. Their are people on the panel who have been called for medicals and their are people who had medicals originally but didnt get placed in a platoon so they are on the panel. Nobody from the army got panel numbers as their putting the panels from each brigade together to make one panel. You could try ringing the barracks you applied to and ask for some info. If recruitment is sanctioned in 2013 they will take from the panel.

Yeah "if". If there's no recruitment next year the we are screwed, and have to go through it all again. I wouldn't get your hopes up

• Advertisement

Thats how a panel works lad they have who they need for now they dont really care about the panel until its needed. People can be hopeful if they want some people have a better chance than others. If you have your medical done you have a decent chance

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ashley21

I got an email today to start on the 19th of November.

I did my medical on the 4th of September in St. Bricins.

ashley21 wrote: »

Where u doin ur training?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ashley21

Gormonstown

Well done man stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭qwertzuio

ashley21 wrote: »

Congratulation!(y)

Can anyone tell me,if u lived outside of ireland(in europe) for a few years,how long does it take to the garda vetting form to come back? I know its usually 10-12 weeks.i called them up,but they couldnt tell me how long if i lived outside of ireland... I did my medical in mid july,so its more than 16 weeks now...
    Was anyone in same situation as me,? Thanks

qwertzuio wrote: »
    Congratulation!(y)

Can anyone tell me,if u lived outside of ireland(in europe) for a few years,how long does it take to the garda vetting form to come back? I know its usually 10-12 weeks.i called them up,but they couldnt tell me how long if i lived outside of ireland... I did my medical in mid july,so its more than 16 weeks now...
    Was anyone in same situation as me,? Thanks

The last platoon starts on Monday the 19th of November. You should of phoned them weeks ago, because If you did your medical in July, you should of started in September.

Ring them or email them as soon as possible

I got my email yesterday. Starting 19th Of November In Haulbowline. It was so stressful being on that panel, but all worked out in the end. Don't give up people

Good on ya lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭qwertzuio

The last platoon starts on Monday the 19th of November. You should of phoned them weeks ago, because If you did your medical in July, you should of started in September.

Ring them or email them as soon as possible

Sorry,i misspelled. Had my interview in mid july(so they sent my garda vetting form away 16weeks ago) and my medical was in mid august,i passed everything.i called them and emailed them earlier many times, but they said they still waiting for the garda vetting form to come back.where i lived,it takes 2 weeks for the garda vettong form to come back,maximum.but you can also get it imediately at the office,you just have to pay 20 euro and you will recive your garda vetting form in 1 hour,so i dont know why does it take this long here... everything can go away on this... I lived in 2 country,and i dont have criminal record. this is what makes me angry.

Advertisement