Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Thanks, that what I thought the case might be. Only problem is I'm not sure if I can afford to stay in Ireland for such a long time :/

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭qwertzuio

i heared that they will take in people in march,i dont know if its true, anyone else heared the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Heard this too although it was soon shot down by the guy over their facebook page. So it's hard to know. Here's me hoping anyway iv my medical done

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭damienf1

Hi,

I was wondering how did the Irish Army make the decision on who to recruit for this year as i was looking on Irish Defence Forces Fb page a lot of people are on the panel that passed all the stages? would it be that someone was done courses in First Aid etc.. was just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Would think that any courses the might have done certainly wouldn't count against them.

Two people evenly matched in every way except one of them has done XYZ course(s). I know I'd lean towards the one that has the course(s) done.

Just my personal opinion. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The DF don't recognize civilian first aid course qualifications, only military ones, as far as Im aware.

This may be changing but at the minute it still stands.

As a result, the DF would probably consider it more important that you took and completed a course, rather than the qualifying certificate... it would be more to do with them thinking that this applicant was motivated enough to do a challenging course, one which has a somewhat military related theme.

Therefore anything that you can get under your belt which is in any way militarily related, be it survival or adventure training or first aid or mountaineering etc, the above is how this would most likely be considered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 JasonBrody

The Defence Forces DO recruit doctors, I remember my father telling me a couple of years ago they headhunted Doctors. Actually met one in Brickens who was a Captain (as far as I remember) but it was a few years ago, he wasn't Irish either and as far as I know he didn't study in Ireland so he was headhunted elsewhere

Candidates are scored points in each stage with the candidates accruing the most points topping an order of merit. They then call people to Medicals. They then offer the people at the top of the order of merit a place in a platoon and the rest who were called for medical are on standby in case of dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭damienf1

Thanks for the replies I was considering going for Army or even the Navy but the only thing is i don't know a lot about the Navy and don't come from fishing background. I have done the R.D.F for while and have completed degree in computing so hopefully this would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Morpheus wrote: »
    The DF don't recognize civilian first aid course qualifications, only military ones, as far as Im aware.

This may be changing but at the minute it still stands.

As a result, the DF would probably consider it more important that you took and completed a course, rather than the qualifying certificate... it would be more to do with them thinking that this applicant was motivated enough to do a challenging course, one which has a somewhat military related theme.

Therefore anything that you can get under your belt which is in any way militarily related, be it survival or adventure training or first aid or mountaineering etc, the above is how this would most likely be considered.

Your awareness is incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

damienf1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies I was considering going for Army or even the Navy but the only thing is i don't know a lot about the Navy and don't come from fishing background. I have done the R.D.F for while and have completed degree in computing so hopefully this would help.

If you don't know whats involved in the navy then I wouldn't recommend applying.

A LOT of people end up leaving within the first year because it isn't what they wanted. Your average day in the navy mainly consists of cleaning/maintaining the ship (Mopping/scrubbing the decks, wiping bulkheads, cleaning the toilets, de-rusting the upper decks, etc).

Unless you have a keen interest in ships and really like being at sea then I really wouldn't recommend it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

testicle wrote: »
    Your awareness is incorrect.

Indeed? I wasn't aware of that! Which courses do they recognize?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Hey just wondering will the army be recruiting this year? and if so when would the application usually open? thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

Simple answer is no one knows they will be recruiting when they are. Just keep an eye on military.ie and their social media feed.

Might be worth checking in on this page every other week.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Defence-Forces-Recruitment/383681691697668

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Anyone heard anything regarding recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭qwertzuio

Anyone heard anything regarding recruitment?

nothing

qwertzuio wrote: »
    nothing

Hopefully something happens

Nothing either i actually sent an email yesterday to them and here is the reply i got.so its hard to know i had been chatting some friends over the weekend who got in last November and they didn't hear anything yet either.

At present the general enlistment, apprenticeships and cadetship competitions are closed and no decision has been made for this year yet, if this changes we will post it on our website www.military.ie straight away. We recommend that you watch the website on a weekly base for any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There's a further reduction in the establishment list of PDF Infantry Units. The 2nd and 5th Battalions are going to be dis-established and a new (PDF) 7th Bn to be formed-up from the personnel of those Bn's. The former 5th Bn personnel will be transferred from McKee Bks to Cathal Brugha Bks in Rathmines, the home Bks of 2nd Bn.

I take from this that there will be a pro-rata loss of both Commissioned and Non-Com ranks as there will be no longer any jobs for X amount of them, ditto for X amount of Private soldiers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

No it will make a proper Bn instead of 2 under manned ones. also natural wastage will occur.

So does this mean there will be a recruitment this year? or was last years that it for a few years?:D

Calgary22 wrote: »
    So does this mean there will be a recruitment this year? or was last years that it for a few years?:D

maybe you should ask the Minister for Defence, as he, under his other hat, has said there'll be no Garda recruitment due to Croke Park 2 going bust. I suppose he'd have to rely on the Minister for hardship, er, Public Expenditure & Reform, Brendan Howlin, for permission :)

No it will make a proper Bn instead of 2 under manned ones. also natural wastage will occur.

Can see that. I was thinking of Lt Col's and Comdt's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

aloyisious wrote: »
    Can see that. I was thinking of Lt Col's and Comdt's :)

Many of whom are near retirement,;) also no I doubt there will be more recruitment as theres an active panel from last years recruitment!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EmmaThomas

Hi,

I want to join the Irish Army has anyone heard of any recruitment for 2013? ill be turning 25 in November so this would be last chance

[MOD] Merged with other recruitment thread [/MOD]

Emails were sent out today regarding recruitment which stated that the army plan to induct recruits from the panel before the end of 2013 if they get sanction and asking whether you were interested or not. So it's a good sign at least.

So there will be no new job advertised? they will just take from the panel?

Calgary22 wrote: »
    So there will be no new job advertised? they will just take from the panel?

Id doubt there will be jobs advertised but it depends on how many recruits they need and we will have to our Medicals and fitness tests again so people could fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Passed everything including medical last year. Never got an email since, assumed I got the panel. Rang them up and was told part of my paperwork didn't come back in time. No email two days ago. Rang them up again and now I have to get my file through the freedom of information officer. Has anyone heard this happen to anyone else?

The only paperwork that had to come back was security and I already have that (rdf)

Doubt they can rectify whatever happend before the medicals/fitness.

Bull****.

Advertisement