Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

There is a parachute club NOT an airborne unit.

ARW are the only unit who would actively jump.

Parachute Courses are ran every year or so and anyone can apply as long as they meet physical/medical requirements.

Air Corps fly the aircraft that people jump from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So are ARW part of the normal Army then yeah? Couldnt find anything about it on the website so it must be a small unit.
    I know the Air Corps fly them, it may seem like I havent a clue but I do, just thought the Parachutists would be a small wing unit of the Air Corps :)

Of course now that I know theyre called the ARW it was easy to find info thank you. Seem to want generally older soldiers, being 21 I might be too young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

ARW are a Special Forces unit of the Defence Forces.
    They run a Selection Course every year for members of the Defence Forces.
    Successful candidates of the selection course will go on to be Rangers and somewhere down the line will train as a Parachutist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

So are ARW part of the normal Army then yeah? Couldnt find anything about it on the website so it must be a small unit.
    I know the Air Corps fly them, it may seem like I havent a clue but I do, just thought the Parachutists would be a small wing unit of the Air Corps :)

Of course now that I know theyre called the ARW it was easy to find info thank you. Seem to want generally older soldiers, being 21 I might be too young!

You can't join the ARW directly, they only recruit from within the Defence Forces. You can join them from any branch of the PDF (Army, Navy, Air Corps).

There are members who were under 20 when they joined, although as far as I know the majority of them are late 20's or early to mid 30's. It's entirely possible to do the selection course immediately after 3Star training if you are fit enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

[MOD]Merging all recruitment related threads into this one. May change the title to a more generic one at a later date. Best of luck joining the DF. [/MOD]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

[MOD]Please direct all FULL TIME (PERMANENT) recruitment questions to this thread.[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

Yeah heard that the inducton to training is in late sept so it does add up as stated above but we will soon hear from them.

Also sent another reply to the emal just incase :D can never be too sure now its time to train take your mind off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭david2013

havent got a reply myself thinking of ringing cathal brugha 2moro! im worried cos i have fines adding up to 650 euro and if i don't have them paid by the time the vettings done would it be held against me?? any1 on this in army or that that could give me a certain answer.. theyre only for driving offences but may not have them paid by Sept as im stone broke and only getting 100 in my dole..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

david2013 wrote: »
    havent got a reply myself thinking of ringing cathal brugha 2moro! im worried cos i have fines adding up to 650 euro and if i don't have them paid by the time the vettings done would it be held against me?? any1 on this in army or that that could give me a certain answer.. theyre only for driving offences but may not have them paid by Sept as im stone broke and only getting 100 in my dole..

If you keep the fines to an administrative level offence, those awarded at the roadside, instead of a court judgement, then you should be OK.. Court-awarded fines would be a different ballgame, even if only civil-conviction fines, not criminal-conviction fines.

Asking anyone in the Army at an OFFICIAL level for an answer would be a bad idea, as it would have to be recorded. There's always the friend or neighbour in the service who might give you the answer. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭qwertzuio

2013 Cadetship Competition

The Defence Forces are looking for candidates with leadership potential, commitment, a sense of duty and a high level of physical fitness, in order to fill essential appointments in the Army (to include the Equitation School), Naval Service and the Air Corps.
    Applications are invited from school leavers and graduates who will be not less than 18 years of age and under 28 years of age on 07 October 2013 to fill the following positions in the Defence Forces
    Closing date to apply is 26th of May

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pearlman

i am a medic in the D F . when i first signed up i had a background as carer with lots of certs. I am sure they helped.

anyone knows anything new about the general services recruitment?
    thanks

no , haven't heard anything has any body received a email or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

I don't think they are taking on recruits this year to the public. a few people i no who made the panel last year were contacted this year they have to do a fitness test and medical again for this year.it appears they will be only taking on recruits from the panel for this years batch probably because the numbers are low.

Thanks Calgary22

Anyone on the panel receive a email or Phonecall or letter or anything to give dates or any other info on the recruitment campaign?

Mop93 wrote: »
    Thanks Calgary22

Anyone on the panel receive a email or Phonecall or letter or anything to give dates or any other info on the recruitment campaign?

nothing,i'm on the panel too,waiting for dates as well

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Anybody heard anything from the army yet

No heard nothing yet, Are you asking about the general recruitment campaign from 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

I'd imagine the croke park agreement has a lot to do with it. Maybe we will hear something after/if that gets worked out.

• Advertisement

Ya I am hopefully we hear something soon.. Surely when sanction was given for a cadetship competition sanction was also given for general service recruitment? Makes sense to sanction it all together.. Maybe once the cadetship competition has progressed further we will be contacted

no shur only small number of positions for cadetship. the number of recruits would be bigger. but id imagine they will do something before the christmas. and im hoping so aswell cos im 25 early next year and if no word from them its gonna be abroad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Ya I am hopefully we hear something soon.. Surely when sanction was given for a cadetship competition sanction was also given for general service recruitment? Makes sense to sanction it all together.. Maybe once the cadetship competition has progressed further we will be contacted

The Cadetship Competition involves far smaller numbers and a longer process than a General Service Competition.

The Manpower Office's contacted you people on the panel for a reason. Go train and be ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

21 cadets every year, thats the usual pattern they go by

How many ossifers are swa and yet this continues.

Shurley to Jesus taking on even 1 platoon of enlisted pers would be more beneficial.

Even better maybe some guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Anyone get any more contact from the army since the last emails? (For enlistment, not cadetship)

no i havent anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

same here, still haven't heard anything back yet.

Still loads of time to hear I wouldn't be getting too worried yet.. Tough auld wait though not knowing what's going on

• Advertisement

from the horses mouth ppl >> autumn!! http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-06-18a.64

Advertisement