Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wills21

Has anyone got a date for the fitness test yet? Or know when will we get a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Not an exact one, just what it said in the E-mail 24th of may - 8th of june...

Not an exact one, just what it said in the E-mail 24th of may - 8th of june...

Yeah same as, I hit the gym first thing this morning and done 2.4km in 18min30sec!!

Needless to say I will be there every morning until the test to bring the time down, can I bring it down that much in such a short time is the question??

Anybody have any tips?? I worked it out that I need to stick to just over 12km/h which I just cant do at the moment, I ran about 500m and had to slow down to take a breather and then speed back up for another 500m or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Lads, maybe this is out of line or harsh, but to those of you who are now talking about ramping up to the fitness tests, taking two weeks to prepare and all that, if you're not big on your fitness in your personal lives and already in good nick, why are you looking to join an organisation where fitness and physical training is a serious core component?

Lads, maybe this is out of line or harsh, but to those of you who are now talking about ramping up to the fitness tests, taking two weeks to prepare and all that, if you're not big on your fitness in your personal lives and already in good nick, why are you looking to join an organisation where fitness and physical training is a serious core component?

I don't know about the other guy's but I am usually fit. Just been out of work for about a year and haven't been getting any exercise in.

It will take me a while to get back in shape but when I do I will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

to be honest the fitness test should be a lot lot harder, its way too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

That being said when I did mine last year people were actually fasiling the push ups and sit ups. Seriously how the **** can you fail them

To be honest, fast running's not my strong suit, distance and endurance is. However, I still can manage that run in under 10.30, and for the upcoming cadetship exams I'll be looking to do it under 10mins. flat. I get being out of training is a problem. I've been stuck working for college for the last couple of months. Best of luck. If you're usually very fit, it'll come back much quicker than it was earned before. You'll certainly have a lot to do to chop seven or eight minutes off though!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

Wills21 wrote: »
    Yeah same as, I hit the gym first thing this morning and done 2.4km in 18min30sec!!
    QUOTE]
    if this was on a treadmill then it wont be accurate, the run wont be on one it will be on a road. so you might get time off it by doing it on a road, a tip find a pace you can run at first where you can complete the mile and a half and improve on that 2 weeks is not that long but if you want it then you will manage it.

but i also agree that it is to easy a fitness test

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Must politely disagree with this post. Most of my platoon which was large 55 to be percise were not into fitness before enlisting in the Army. The 0705 hrs runs were all too raw and fresh for us. Some of the guys who were fit already couldn't adjust too easily to running in block and this presented it own problems.
    The first few runs saw many calf but after a couple of weeks the calfing stopped. Our runs before breakfast were always 5k and ran in block formation. Many who disliked physical fitness as a routine turned out to be fine soldiers. We had our 21 year reunion there a couple of years ago so it was good to see what had become of us all.
    If we had a full understanding of Army life before we joined most of us conceeded we wouldn't have signed. Bit like becoming a dad your better off not knowing beforehand ;).
    One point though. Any of our platoon who were military mad or really into it before joining never really shone too much when it mattered. When things ever got hairy it was quite often the chap with the most cb or charges who really pulled it out of the bag for his comrades. I consider fitness as one of many resources a soldier has to rely on but it can be learned.
    The CTD east graded my fitness level "elite", I was last man standing on the beep test and have an all army first for sprinting which proudly sits on the fire mantal and I hated every single pt class I ever did:D
    Good luck to all. From what I see the test is just to make sure your not a "blob". You can learn the rest later and be paid for it:cool:

• Advertisement

time lord wrote: »
    Must politely disagree with this post. Most of my platoon which was large 55 to be percise were not into fitness before enlisting in the Army. The 0705 hrs runs were all too raw and fresh for us. Some of the guys who were fit already couldn't adjust too easily to running in block and this presented it own problems.
    The first few runs saw many calf but after a couple of weeks the calfing stopped. Our runs before breakfast were always 5k and ran in block formation. Many who disliked physical fitness as a routine turned out to be fine soldiers. We had our 21 year reunion there a couple of years ago so it was good to see what had become of us all.
    If we had a full understanding of Army life before we joined most of us conceeded we wouldn't have signed. Bit like becoming a dad your better off not knowing beforehand ;).
    One point though. Any of our platoon who were military mad or really into it before joining never really shone too much when it mattered. When things ever got hairy it was quite often the chap with the most cb or charges who really pulled it out of the bag for his comrades. I consider fitness as one of many resources a soldier has to rely on but it can be learned.
    The CTD east graded my fitness level "elite", I was last man standing on the beep test and have an all army first for sprinting which proudly sits on the fire mantal and I hated every single pt class I ever did:D
    Good luck to all. From what I see the test is just to make sure your not a "blob". You can learn the rest later and be paid for it:cool:

I respect your experience but a few points:

- Firstly, yes, fitness can be learned, but when you're way, way past saturation point in terms of applicants per position, it's going to be used as a metric. Guys who are into their fitness are going to be much easier to bring along and they're certainly going to be easily visible at the testing.

- People who are big into their fitness are often very personally motivated. This is a seriously significant quality and again, it will stand out during the selection process. Visibly fit people are going to stand out.

- It's a physical job. Anyone who doesn't like physical challenges probably isn't going to have a great time. Maybe they'll be good, but they're certainly not going to be as easy to work with as a fitter candidate and frankly, they're not going to enjoy the work as much. By the same token, they're not going to be as personally invested in it.

beco2010 wrote: »
    if this was on a treadmill then it wont be accurate, the run wont be on one it will be on a road. so you might get time off it by doing it on a road, a tip find a pace you can run at first where you can complete the mile and a half and improve on that 2 weeks is not that long but if you want it then you will manage it.

but i also agree that it is to easy a fitness test

Thats not a bad idea, I might try that tomorrow, if I could keep at 10km/hr for the 11 mins say, and try to bring the speed up.

Thanks Beco :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I was actually coming on here to ask what kind of training people are doing for this, and frankly I'm a little shocked at what I'm reading.

The fitness test is not difficult.

Firstly, to the guy doing the 1.5 mile in 18:30, sorry, but it's impossible to get your time down almost 7 minutes in the time you have left. Sorry, but that's the harsh reality. Also if you plan on running every day to get your time down you will just injure yourself since you're clearly not used to it so your doing more harm than good.

Here's what happened with me. I'm 19, second year in college. Throughout most of my time is secondary school I was overweight and never ran a day in my life and couldn't do a single push-up with proper form. I decided I wanted to be a military pilot, since I always had an interest. This happened august of last year. It was taking me 18 minutes to run 1.5 miles, and I was dead after it. I kept at it, always doing a bit. In February of this year I started training properly after not doing a thing over the christmas.

Now I'm really into it. Running 3-4 times a week, depending on how my legs are feeling. Did about 5.5k today and that took 30 mins, with about 4 steep-ish and long hills. Finished with plenty left in the tank. My 1.5 mile best effort is under 11 mins, and since I'm going for cadetship I still have plenty of time to train. I know I'm passing it as it is, but seriously, why would you go in just scrapping the minimum standards, you should be trying to max it! Went from no push-ups to doing 20 per set.

It's easy to do lads, it just takes effort, motivation and commitment. I'm not trying to compare the PDF to the Royal Marines, but as they say, and it's damn true, it's a state of mind.

I was actually coming on here to ask what kind of training people are doing for this, and frankly I'm a little shocked at what I'm reading.

Firstly, to the guy doing the 1.5 mile in 18:30, sorry, but it's impossible to get your time down almost 7 minutes in the time you have left. Sorry, but that's the harsh reality. Also if you plan on running every day to get your time down you will just injure yourself since you're clearly not used to it so your doing more harm than good.

Here's what happened with me. I'm 19, second year in college. Throughout most of my time is secondary school I was overweight and never ran a day in my life and couldn't do a single push-up with proper form. I decided I wanted to be a military pilot, since I always had an interest. This happened august of last year. It was taking me 18 minutes to run 1.5 miles, and I was dead after it. I kept at it, always doing a bit. In February of this year I started training properly after not doing a thing over the christmas.

Now I'm really into it. Running 3-4 times a week, depending on how my legs are feeling. Did about 5.5k today and that took 30 mins, with about 4 steep-ish and long hills. Finished with plenty left in the tank. My 1.5 mile best effort is under 11 mins, and since I'm going for cadetship I still have plenty of time to train. I know I'm passing it as it is, but seriously, why would you go in just scrapping the minimum standards, you should be trying to max it! Went from no push-ups to doing 20 per set.

It's easy to do lads, it just takes effort, motivation and commitment. I'm not trying to compare the PDF to the Royal Marines, but as they say, and it's damn true, it's a state of mind.

Thanks for your opinion but I will get my time down to under 11.40 before the test even if it kills me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Good luck everyone and I reckon if he really wants it he will get that time down adrenaline is a beautiful thing

Not to be a killjoy but realistically, just barely passing is a long, long way from where you need to be. I doubt you'd be going any further at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Not to be a killjoy but realistically, just barely passing is a long, long way from where you need to be. I doubt you'd be going any further at that stage.

I have to agree with you there I'd say they'll want to geta rid of a large number of applicants at this I'd say you'd want to be aiming for around the 9min mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Yes it is easy by army standards. But remember this is a test for civilians. Its shocking the amount that will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

John_D80 wrote: »
    Yes it is easy by army standards. But remember this is a test for civilians. Its shocking the amount that will fail.

BMI and other things i agree

Wills21 wrote: »

Needless to say I will be there every morning until the test to bring the time down, can I bring it down that much in such a short time is the question??

Anybody have any tips?? I worked it out that I need to stick to just over 12km/h which I just cant do at the moment, I ran about 500m and had to slow down to take a breather and then speed back up for another 500m or so.

You waited until 2 weeks before the test to begin preparing? You need to shave 6 mins and 50 secs off that time to scrape a pass. I wish you luck my friend. You will need it.

• Advertisement

That's pathetic though. Surely the type of people who are going for this without a personal habit and discipline of fitness are not the sort who should be? I'm asking this as a civilian, but personally, it's one of the characteristics I would have considered essential, and consider it an asset in myself, going for a cadetship.

Well done to you. Keep pluggin away at it. Potential recruits/cadets take note. This is the kind of individual we are looking for.

That's pathetic though. Surely the type of people who are going for this without a personal habit and discipline of fitness are not the sort who should be? I'm asking this as a civilian, but personally, it's one of the characteristics I would have considered essential, and consider it an asset in myself, going for a cadetship.

I absolutely agree with you. But passing a basic fitness test like the one for the defence forces is an indication not only of physical fitness but also character and desire. Its a base level that can and will be built on by dedicated and sometimes merciless training nco's.

If you look at the basic entry level fitness tests for other western armies you will see that ours is actually more stringent than most believe it or not.

Its actually shocking how unfit most civvies are :D

I absolutely agree with you. But passing a basic fitness test like the one for the defence forces is an indication not only of physical fitness but also character and desire.

That's exactly what I mean. Being fit and into your fitness is great, but more importantly it shows self-discipline and personal strength. I just think those who are looking to squeak it are not necessarily thinking about the job itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

That's exactly what I mean. Being fit and into your fitness is great, but more importantly it shows self-discipline and personal strength. I just think those who are looking to squeak it are not necessarily thinking about the job itself.
    will it even matter how fast you are ,just as long as your under the time
    ,will they even take a note i know when i did the test the last time i ran it in 8.31 it didnt look like there was any record of it just that i had passed the fitness test

I've had friends whose run times were commented on in cadetship interviews. Certainly I think it'd be naive to think it's entirely black and white.

I see what you mean. The people who are just looking to squeak it as you say, will struggle not only at the fitness test but also at the interview stage. Lack of drive and discipline will be apparent here as well as at the fitness test.

To be fair though i'd rather have a guy in my platoon who broke his bollocks training and preparing (over an appropriate period of time) and just scraped a pass than have a super fit wonder kid who didn't train because he knew he didn't have to.

Gimme the dogged determined guy over the natural every single time. When the **** hts the fan you'll see who performs the best.

I see what you mean. The people who are just looking to squeak it as you say, will struggle not only at the fitness test but also at the interview stage. Lack of drive and discipline will be apparent here as well as at the fitness test.

To be fair though i'd rather have a guy in my platoon who broke his bollocks training and preparing (over an appropriate period of time) and just scraped a pass than have a super fit wonder kid who didn't train because he knew he didn't have to.

Gimme the dogged determined guy over the natural every single time. When the **** hts the fan you'll see who performs the best.

Oh, absolutely, but while it's a good analogy, it's not particularly realistic. If the guy breaks his balls over a goodly period of time, there's no way he's scraping a pass unless he's been recently amputated at both knees. The second guy, well, personally I'd hate to meet him. I think he'd probably be a useless dick, but I think realistically, people are going to get out what they put in to any period of training, and the best way to do it is to make it a lifestyle. I'm going out of my bin, been ages since I got to go running, so not running is way out of character for me. Done with college next tuesday so from there on out, it's not that I'll be training for the entrance fitness tests, I'll just be returning to my familiar pace of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

just coming of a bulk and a recent leg break that forced me to stop playing sport for the season. Being bulking about 4 months with little or tbh no cardio :eek: (ectomorph lol) Ran the 2km in just under 9 min today in which im happy enough about considering i havnt been doing anything cardio related for months bar once every week or 2 at a very moderate pace. Alternated between 12 and 17 km per hour today, plan on taking it to the roads on sunday as its a lot tougher than a treadmill.

The way i see it, i want to get the best time possible. its just a pity that the test doesnt take into account how many press ups, sit ups you can do in a minute to combine muscular endurance and even strength with the cv.

my personal opinion is that all components of fitness should come into but like johnD80 said which is a great point that its a fitness test for civilians not just sport, fitness like minded people. Some of the lads who scrape by in the fitness test could easily turn out to be the best soldiers with training as intelligence is just as important imo but on the other hand i would be severly piss*d of if someone who scrapped by in the fitness test got in ahead of me lol (joke).:)

• Advertisement

Oh, absolutely, but while it's a good analogy, it's not particularly realistic. If the guy breaks his balls over a goodly period of time, there's no way he's scraping a pass unless he's been recently amputated at both knees. The second guy, well, personally I'd hate to meet him. I think he'd probably be a useless dick, but I think realistically, people are going to get out what they put in to any period of training, and the best way to do it is to make it a lifestyle. I'm going out of my bin, been ages since I got to go running, so not running is way out of character for me. Done with college next tuesday so from there on out, it's not that I'll be training for the entrance fitness tests, I'll just be returning to my familiar pace of life.

Not realistic? You kinda missed my point mate.

I'm looking beyond entry level fitness tests. The guy who works hard to get in, whether he aces the fitness test or gets a bare pass will be the same guy who will keep pushing himself when he's 9k into an 10k log run or on a 20k tab over the hills when he's up to his waist in snow.

The naturally fit/doesn't need to train kinda guy who has never known physical hardship on the other hand will quite possibly fall to pieces when he inevitably experiences that physical hardship. I've seen it myself in my own platoon as a recruit and as an instructor of recruits. Thats what I meant when I said I will always chose the dogged determined guy every time.

And to be quite honest, reading some of the posts here about the preparation (or lack of) that some guys are putting in, I (like you I assume) am quite disturbed at the apparent lack of aforementioned doggedness and determination.

Advertisement