Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Panda.w

DVPJC88 wrote: »
    Anyone else goin for the navy or just me?

I got my fitness test in the morning :O

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Speedy19

Passed my medical pending bloods :)

Congrats, where did you go for? Have mine in cork tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DVPJC88

Panda.w wrote: »
    I got my fitness test in the morning :O

Why did we not get in last year you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Got sent home on Friday for not being tall enough. They were measuring me at 155cm. Only back from the doctors measuring just over 159cm which means I am over the 5.2. Safe to say the DF measuring equipment is messed up!!

Measured me a 166cm when I'm 171cm according to dr. Tested in cathal bruagh, bit weird alright. Contact manpower and tell them your dr confirmed your height etc, push them.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

c-90 wrote: »
    Measured me a 166cm when I'm 171cm according to dr. Tested in cathal bruagh, bit weird alright. Contact manpower and tell them your dr confirmed your height etc, push them.

Came home today stright after the doctors and went to call cathal Brugha but had no answer, so going to ring first thing in the morning to sort things out, gutted was told my application has been scraped for the comp so don't know if I can even do anything now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Came home today stright after the doctors and went to call cathal Brugha but had no answer, so going to ring first thing in the morning to sort things out, gutted was told my application has been scraped for the comp so don't know if I can even do anything now

They're difficult to reach over the phone. You need to ring them repeatedly. They may also tell you they can't touch your file on request unless the freedom of information officer tells them to. So be prepared to send f.o.i. a letter. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Speedy19 wrote: »
    Congrats, where did you go for? Have mine in cork tomorrow :)

Went for the curragh today was the first day there was only 4 there and one no show.. Best of luck tomorrow you will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Panda.w

DVPJC88 wrote: »
    Why did we not get in last year you reckon?

I dono lad, i wasnt too happy with how my interview tbh so i probaly got an average enough score...have u done your fitness test already yeah??

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

c-90 wrote: »
    They're difficult to reach over the phone. You need to ring them repeatedly. They may also tell you they can't touch your file on request unless the freedom of information officer tells them to. So be prepared to send f.o.i. a letter. Best of luck!

Thanks will send a letter to the FOI in the morning to but will still try to ring the barracks :) gutted the way this is all working out

Passed medical this morning in cork.. Fella said they will let us know if we got it and a start date for September in 3-4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Paul mac

Passed medical for both army and navy still can't decide witch one to go for...what would ye guys recommend and why..pros and cons...really stuck in limbo here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Paul mac wrote: »
    Passed medical for both army and navy still can't decide witch one to go for...what would ye guys recommend and why..pros and cons...really stuck in limbo here

I'd definitely go for the Army if you are interested in a military career. The Navy is basically just like a civvie job but at sea, there's actually not much of a military aspect to it if you're an enlisted man, only the officers really get to do the "cool" stuff. That's the main reason I left. The ONLY similarities between the Army and the Navy is the footdrill and that's about it. It's like trying to choose between the Guards and the Fire Brigade, they just aren't comparable.

You should only be considering the Navy if you really just want a life at sea and are really interested in ships, boats, etc.

Also the Navy very rarely go oversea's to other countries on UN missions, and even then it's usually only if the Army is short on drivers, medics, chefs, etc.

But that's just my preference, I've wanted to be in the Army my whole life. The only reason I ended up in the Navy was because they took people off the Army's candidate list a few years back.

It's not all negative though. You're more likely to get a trade and good qualifications in the Navy, and the pay is also substantially better then the Army due to sea pay, as well as the fact that you won't really be spending that much money out on patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Paul mac

amurph0 wrote: »
    I'd definitely go for the Army if you are interested in a military career. The Navy is basically just like a civvie job but at sea, there's actually not much of a military aspect to it if you're an enlisted man, only the officers really get to do the "cool" stuff. That's the main reason I left. The ONLY similarities between the Army and the Navy is the footdrill and that's about it. It's like trying to choose between the Guards and the Fire Brigade, they just aren't comparable.

You should only be considering the Navy if you really just want a life at sea and are really interested in ships, boats, etc.

Also the Navy very rarely go oversea's to other countries on UN missions, and even then it's usually only if the Army is short on drivers, medics, chefs, etc.

But that's just my preference, I've wanted to be in the Army my whole life. The only reason I ended up in the Navy was because they took people off the Army's candidate list a few years back.

It's not all negative though. You're more likely to get a trade and good qualifications in the Navy, and the pay is also substantially better then the Army due to sea pay, as well as the fact that you won't really be spending that much money out on patrol.

Thanks for the feed back much appreciated..

You must have an inkling of your first choice? Which one did you really want when you applied and which was your failsafe? Navy life seems boring and tedious scrubbing decks and maintaining ships and stuff. You will get more variety in the army. The money for being at sea is a plus but your not joining just for the money like.. It's hard to know man like its your job at the end of the day people on here are going for the same job as you so don't let us influence you too much.. You would have to have a serious interest in being at sea and on ships etc.. If its just the military experience your after I'd recommend the army. Wait to see what your offered anyway ha don't wanna get ahead of yourself just yet in all likeliness you will be offered both but you just don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

You seriously don't have any idea which you'd rather do?

If you want to be a solider, join the Army. If you want to be a sailor, join the Naval Service. It's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭david2013

the army would be alot better day-to-day work id imagine.. anyone get e-mails today for medicals? if so from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

Still haven't heard anything back passed fitness last tuesday.( Cathal Brugha )

Wouldn't be worrying about emails too much lads I think the majority of us will have Medicals

send an oul post leeting us kno if ya do get word ha hate waiting around not knowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Thanks for the feed back much appreciated..

Keep in mind that the poster's time in the NS was not to their liking, and they post accordingly. Make your own mind up.
    In the Last 10 years Irish naval vessels have been to China, South Korea, Argentina, Chile, The USA, Canada, Liberia, Eritrea, Germany, Belgium, the UK, France, Portugal, to name a few. There are many UN deployment positions open to suitably skilled naval people. If you want to stand outside the bank every day guarding someone else's money, join the army. If you want to join the end of a queue of 9000 people wanting to go on an overseas trip of under 200 people join the army.

Broaden your mind. If you are applying to the Navy because you also applied to the army, Join the Army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Well, in reality, the people at the bottom of the queue for overseas service certainly aren't in the Army. If you want to travel to the UK, France, Portugal... Book a flight. It'll get ya there quicker and won't involve ya having to spend over 200 days a year at sea.

If ya want to wander around all day doing work details and watching the waves roll by... Join the Naval Service.

If ya want to take part in live fire exercises, shooting a MAG from the hip with a bayonet between your teeth and Kelly Brook on your shoulder... Join the Army.

In all seriousness though, you either want to be a solider or a sailor. Your decision really should be made at this stage in the competition already. If you're in a position where you've gotten this far in the competition and still have to ask people for a dig out on making a decision, you seriously need to have a think about whether or not you put proper thought into this line of work. You're choosing a job which requires quite a lot of commitment and sacrifice, it's not something which should just be decided on a whim... Think long and hard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

amurph0 wrote: »
    Well as far as I know the people who scored higher on the interview we given medicals last year, and the people towards the end of the panel didn't do a medical. That's why this year there is no interview, everything is based off the interview we did last year.

You mean the Army recruits dropping out? Yeah I remember that guy. That was definitely me Id say. :D

I remember he was giving out because he had to do cleaning and had to go running and stuff. :rolleyes:

Ok well please correct me if I'm picking this up wrong but doesn't that mean that those of us who didn't get through to the medicals last year are automatically at a disadvantage? Seems a little unfair, no?

pk998 wrote: »
    Ok well please correct me if I'm picking this up wrong but doesn't that mean that those of us who didn't get through to the medicals last year are automatically at a disadvantage? Seems a little unfair, no?

Some people were called off the panel in October for Medicals but were returned to the panel as they weren't needed at that time. These people would have had the highest interview scores so of course this time around they would be at an advantage once they pass the medical again. So yeah the people who didnt get a medical last year are at a disadvantage compared to the ones who did there's nothing unfair about it that's how the panel works some people are gonna be higher on the panel than others

has anyone here done the medical last year..? if so what is all the tests they do? do they check your hearing cos 1 me ears are blocked and can hear f**kall but its not permanent just seems to need syringing

any emails today by the way?

david2013 wrote: »
    has anyone here done the medical last year..? if so what is all the tests they do? do they check your hearing cos 1 me ears are blocked and can hear f**kall but its not permanent just seems to need syringing

You will do a audiometric test ya wear ear phones and have a button every time ya hear the noise ya press the button some are loud some are really quiet.. So your blocked ear might affect that just tell them in the day. Spirometery test to see if your lungs work properly ya take your deepest breath an blow out into a machine for as long as you can. Vision test, blood and urine, pre med just checks your height weight and any marks like tattoos scars etc. then you will see the doctor for a quick check and he pre approves ya or fails ya.. It's not so bad like you will be filling out forms for ages when ya first go in its a head wreck

You will do a audiometric test ya wear ear phones and have a button every time ya hear the noise ya press the button some are loud some are really quiet.. So your blocked ear might affect that just tell them in the day. Spirometery test to see if your lungs work properly ya take your deepest breath an blow out into a machine for as long as you can. Vision test, blood and urine, pre med just checks your height weight and any marks like tattoos scars etc. then you will see the doctor for a quick check and he pre approves ya or fails ya.. It's not so bad like you will be filling out forms for ages when ya first go in its a head wreck

What you mean pre approves you

The doctor just marks your enlistment papers saying that your fit for service but then he just says your pre approved and final approval happens when your blood and urine results come back. So basically he says you have passed as long as your bloods are ok

The doctor just marks your enlistment papers saying that your fit for service but then he just says your pre approved and final approval happens when your blood and urine results come back. So basically he says you have passed as long as your bloods are ok

I understand you now , passed pending bloods and urine is what I was told

• Advertisement

Speedy19 wrote: »
    I understand you now , passed pending bloods and urine is what I was told

That's what the doctor told me last year but this year a different doctor told me I was pre approved and I would get final approval later on like same difference I suppose ha

Advertisement