Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Speedy19

The doctor just marks your enlistment papers saying that your fit for service but then he just says your pre approved and final approval happens when your blood and urine results come back. So basically he says you have passed as long as your bloods are ok

I understand you now , passed pending bloods and urine is what I was told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭david2013

have a tattoo on my arm between elbow and wrist on the inside of my arm, id say theyre only concerned about above collar and over the wrist (hand).. yea might go to me doc get it cleared up so

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

You should be ok with the tattoo. ya just see what your own doc thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

No email as of yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

Those awaiting emails from 2 Brigade should receive something next week.

Medicals will start in the last week of Aug

• Advertisement

2 brigade is cathal brugha is it??

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

c-90 wrote: »
    Measured me a 166cm when I'm 171cm according to dr. Tested in cathal bruagh, bit weird alright. Contact manpower and tell them your dr confirmed your height etc, push them.

I was tested in Cathal Brugha too, got a captain on the phone on Tuesday and told him about me being measured over the 5.2 and also sent a copy of a letter certifying it to the recruitment and competition section, and got an email back saying they would take a note. The captain was trying to say that I must have grown over 4cm over the weekend, never in my life have I ever heard anything as stupid as saying a 19 year old girl has grown 4cm over the weekend. Don't even think I have grown 4cm in the last 4 years never mind over a weekend. Emailed Alan Shatter regarding this, as I think I have been treated unfair by the Defence Force. Absolutely gutted because I think I have never been better fitness wise as I am right now :(

Just wondering did anyone else who did their Fitness in Cathal Brugha Barracks in Dublin, when getting their height taken were they measured smaller than they normally are? even a few cm?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

I was tested in Cathal Brugha too, got a captain on the phone on Tuesday and told him about me being measured over the 5.2 and also sent a copy of a letter certifying it to the recruitment and competition section, and got an email back saying they would take a note. The captain was trying to say that I must have grown over 4cm over the weekend, never in my life have I ever heard anything as stupid as saying a 19 year old girl has grown 4cm over the weekend. Don't even think I have grown 4cm in the last 4 years never mind over a weekend. Emailed Alan Shatter regarding this, as I think I have been treated unfair by the Defence Force. Absolutely gutted because I think I have never been better fitness wise as I am right now :(

that's absolutely rediculous. Get onto your local TD, I think that's what the two lads last year did and shatter intervened. The chances of you shrinking and growing are far lower than the chances of them making a balls of the measuring. Don't let up anyway because even if its not rectified this time around the next intake could be early in the new year.

• Advertisement

c-90 wrote: »
    that's absolutely rediculous. Get onto your local TD, I think that's what the two lads last year did and shatter intervened. The chances of you shrinking and growing are far lower than the chances of them making a balls of the measuring. Don't let up anyway because even if its not rectified this time around the next intake could be early in the new year.

Thanks for the advice only problem is that I am from Belfast so I don't know any of the TD's. I have emailed shatter already but I know that it can take him weeks to get back to me (I emailed him about my panel number and didn't get a reply for about 4-6 weeks). I'm starting to panic because medicals have already started and all the fitness tests have ended so I don't think they will let me sit a fitness test, which means i'm out of the comp absolutely gutted after passing all them stages last year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

Just wondering did anyone else who did their Fitness in Cathal Brugha Barracks in Dublin, when getting their height taken were they measured smaller than they normally are? even a few cm?

Yup I'm 6 2" which translates to 188 cm, but when they measured me I was 180 cm which translates to 5 9". So unless my shoes are 8 cm tall there has been some serous miscalculation on there behalf haha.

I'm usually 5 ft 9 which is 175.26.. But I measured 174 at my fitness and 173 at the medical., it just depends on who is measuring you.. Fight it all the way I hear there a more platoons in the new year

I'm usually 5 ft 9 which is 175.26.. But I measured 174 at my fitness and 173 at the medical., it just depends on who is measuring you.. Fight it all the way I hear there a more platoons in the new year

thanks, trust me i'm not giving in anytime soon :)

pk998 wrote: »
    Yup I'm 6 2" which translates to 188 cm, but when they measured me I was 180 cm which translates to 5 9". So unless my shoes are 8 cm tall there has been some serous miscalculation on there behalf haha.

OMG are you serious about being 8cm off, I thought me being measured 4/5cm off my real height was bad enough :O

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

OMG are you serious about being 8cm off, I thought me being measured 4/5cm off my real height was bad enough :O

I'm dead serious, I had a feeling something was off when they said 180 cm but it didn't phase me at the time, I thought that'd be pretty much near bang on 6'2 give or take a couple of cm, wasn't until I put the numbers into a converter that I was like: "what is going on!" surly me shoes couldn't be that tall lol.

thanks, trust me i'm not giving in anytime soon :)

When they measured you and found you were below the required height, did they remeasure you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Panda.w

Anybody here do there fitness test for the navy the past week??

When they measured you and found you were below the required height, did they remeasure you?

Yes they measured me a few times but it kept coming up 155cm but the doctors I was 159cm :/ strange something went wrong somewhere

Yes they measured me a few times but it kept coming up 155cm but the doctors I was 159cm :/ strange something went wrong somewhere

Okay, so you failed, were retested, failed again, were retested and still failed?

If so and you say they came up with 155cms which is 2.48cms too small then surely the Defence Forces did their part by allowing you to be retested several times over?

• Advertisement

Okay, so you failed, were retested, failed again, were retested and still failed?

If so and you say they came up with 155cms which is 2.48cms too small then surely the Defence Forces did their part by allowing you to be retested several times over?

Yes so pose so but what I am trying to tell the DF is that their equipment wasn't working correctly, so the way I look at it is that I was sent home wrongly, not by my fault but my the DF's. I knew I passed 5.2 but they wouldn't listen I told me that's me out of the comp, that's why I have mailed a few TD's about the issue.

But you are from Belfast and have no entitlement to representation to in our political system!

That aside, I don't really see what you hope to gain from this. You are not in the same category as the people that got recruited by direction of the Minister last year. They had been passed at the fitness testing stage and at the medical stage and it was only copped afterwards. The DF were seen as having entered into a contract with them at that stage for some reason.

You have not passed fitness test from what you say and I would be surprised if you are called for a medical as a result and therefore will not meet the same prerequisites as the ones from last year that you have cited.

if you were called for a fitness test and the measurements were wrong, course ya are entitled to do the test if the fault is on there behalf. have a docs letter saying the correct height!

david2013 wrote: »
    have a docs letter saying the correct height!

not worth the paper it is written on in this circumstance

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

not worth the paper it is written on in this circumstance

Why? Considering one is done by a medical proffesional and the other is by a ptl/i.

In fairness to cankles if he can prove he is above the height then the army atleast should hear him out/ put him back on the panel. Unless of course the df use different cm than the civvie world.

I know for a fact the measuring equipment was off when my bmi went from 22 to 25 in 3 days ( measured by my doc also) there were others with similar results on the day. You can even see that from this board. Flap.

Let the Military Authorities remedy it

david2013 wrote: »
    if you were called for a fitness test and the measurements were wrong, course ya are entitled to do the test if the fault is on there behalf. have a docs letter saying the correct height!

I have already got one sent to them which states my 'correct' height. They emailed me back saying that they have taken note of this so think it is just a waiting game now :(

I think wee cankles is a girl lads ha.. And the contract was entered into upon applying to the defence forces.

The DF website stated the applicant should be no smaller than 5'2 which were the wrong measurements to begin with so any applicant who met 5'2 agreed to these requirements upon submitting the application..

When it came to the medical and the applicants were below the accepted DF height but crucially above 5'2 minister shatter allowed them to join the DF. This set a precedent for any other applicant who met the 5'2 standard.

So if wee cankles is 5'2 she was hard done by and should be allowed to continue in the competition. I'm not sure who could represent this person in the dail but they have applied to serve the army of this country and should have some representations in the dail.

But you are from Belfast and have no entitlement to representation to in our political system!

That aside, I don't really see what you hope to gain from this. You are not in the same category as the people that got recruited by direction of the Minister last year. They had been passed at the fitness testing stage and at the medical stage and it was only copped afterwards. The DF were seen as having entered into a contract with them at that stage for some reason.

You have not passed fitness test from what you say and I would be surprised if you are called for a medical as a result and therefore will not meet the same prerequisites as the ones from last year that you have cited.

I have already been in contact with a TD from Dublin and they have said that they are willing to help me and have gave me advice. They have also passed my email onto somone who has more of a link to the army who can help me :)

• Advertisement

I think wee cankles is a girl lads ha.. And the contract was entered into upon applying to the defence forces.

The DF website stated the applicant should be no smaller than 5'2 which were the wrong measurements to begin with so any applicant who met 5'2 agreed to these requirements upon submitting the application..

When it came to the medical and the applicants were below the accepted DF height but crucially above 5'2 minister shatter allowed them to join the DF. This set a precedent for any other applicant who met the 5'2 standard.

So if wee cankles is 5'2 she was hard done by and should be allowed to continue in the competition. I'm not sure who could represent this person in the dail but they have applied to serve the army of this country and should have some representations in the dail.

Did everyone think I was a lad!!!! :O

I have had a TD who has emailed me a few times today who is helping me at the minute :)

Advertisement