Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

The DF website stated the applicant should be no smaller than 5'2 which were the wrong measurements to begin with so any applicant who met 5'2 agreed to these requirements upon submitting the application..

She has stated that she was measured at 155cms which is 5 foot 1 inch so she is below the advertised height.

When people applied to join, did they have to state their height on their application?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

She has stated that she was measured at 155cms which is 5 foot 1 inch so she is below the advertised height.

When people applied to join, did they have to state their height on their application?

Yes as I said earlier I was measured at that by the DF, but lots of other people on this have also said that they were measured smaller than what they really are. If I remember correctly someone said they were measured 8cm below their real height. To join the DF you have to be over 5.2 and as my Doctor proved 2 days after I got sent home from Dublin that I was above the 5.2. So wht I want to know is why should I be punished for the mistake that the DF made?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Wee cankles wasn't the only person measured wrongly in this process and if a qualified doctor certifies she's the right height then I'd take that over the word of a pti who would be actively trying to cut numbers.

I don't recall anything about our height on the application. They wouldn't take our word anyway.

If it comes down to it and she's not the right height then that's fair enough cut her but she was the right height when she done her fitness last year she hasn't shrunk 4 cm and a certified doctor says she is the correct height.

She should explore all the avenues available to her and if it dosnt work at least she tried.. I would hate to be in this situation

Wee cankles wasn't the only person measured wrongly in this process and if a qualified doctor certifies she's the right height then I'd take that over the word of a pti who would be actively trying to cut numbers.

I don't recall anything about our height on the application. They wouldn't take our word anyway.

If it comes down to it and she's not the right height then that's fair enough cut her but she was the right height when she done her fitness last year she hasn't shrunk 4 cm and a certified doctor says she is the correct height.

She should explore all the avenues available to her and if it dosnt work at least she tried.. I would hate to be in this situation

Thanks Skinnykenyan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Did everyone think I was a lad!!!! :O

I have had a TD who has emailed me a few times today who is helping me at the minute :)

Apologies I thought you were. Good luck.

• Advertisement

she's the right height then I'd take that over the word of a pti

How do you know who measured her. She has stated that she was measured several times over, I would be willing to bet that more than one person measured her.

Anyway, I dont care either way, let the MA deal with it, it is beyond the control of anyone that is posting on these sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭david2013

yea, measured by different ppl, but with the same equipment they use, do u seriously not understand the situation? and feel bad for the person after waiting on a panel keeping fit etc. then be told youre too short by someone and her knowing full well she wasnt..

There's no two ways about it she was wronged at the end of the day. Last year the DF recorded her height as being acceptable for service but this year she fails the same test she has already passed? So even if you don't agree with her grievance you still have to admit that one way or the other the army messed up somewhere?

c-90 wrote: »
    Apologies I thought you were. Good luck.

Hahah its grand would be very small lad in all fairness lol Thanks :)

david2013 wrote: »
    yea, measured by different ppl, but with the same equipment they use, do u seriously not understand the situation? and feel bad for the person after waiting on a panel keeping fit etc. then be told youre too short by someone and her knowing full well she wasnt..

Thanks David2013 :)

• Advertisement

There's no two ways about it she was wronged at the end of the day. Last year the DF recorded her height as being acceptable for service but this year she fails the same test she has already passed? So even if you don't agree with her grievance you still have to admit that one way or the other the army messed up somewhere?

At least someone is seeing where I am coming from Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

Anyone know if and when they'll open a fresh competition in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

@Wee Cankles, you may not have a TD up there in Belfast but you're bound to have a local MP who belongs to a political party who have representation in the Dail (no names mentioned), why not ask one of them to take it up with one of their counterparts in the south to bring it to the attention of the minister?
    If you're being unfairly ruled out then you should have some form of redress, I'd also consider raising your situation with a respected journalist (Mark Tighe of The Sunday Times for example), a couple of calls to the DF from an investigative journalist would have them scurrying back for another look at your case.
    Also why not ask a question on the Legal Forum on here to see what legal avenues might be open to you..?

Anyone know if and when they'll open a fresh competition in 2014?

It dosnt look likely. they are recruiting from yhe panel now to bring the DF up to strength so there should be no need to recruit.. Saying that if there happened to be mass retirements this year it may be needed but I don't see that happening tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

It dosnt look likely. they are recruiting from yhe panel now to bring the DF up to strength so there should be no need to recruit.. Saying that if there happened to be mass retirements this year it may be needed but I don't see that happening tbh.

I'd say near then end of 2014 early 2015, the recruitment last year brought it close to strenght and they're still 400 down. Although I can't see why they don't just set the strength 500 lower with austerity and all that.

@Wee Cankles, you may not have a TD up there in Belfast but you're bound to have a local MP who belongs to a political party who have representation in the Dail (no names mentioned), why not ask one of them to take it up with one of their counterparts in the south to bring it to the attention of the minister?
    If you're being unfairly ruled out then you should have some form of redress, I'd also consider raising your situation with a respected journalist (Mark Tighe of The Sunday Times for example), a couple of calls to the DF from an investigative journalist would have them scurrying back for another look at your case.
    Also why not ask a question on the Legal Forum on here to see what legal avenues might be open to you..?

It's strange how you are saying about the Sunday world as I was thinking about that during the week. There has been a few TD 's who has been kind enough to help me with the issue and I have been in contact with them 2/3 times a day in the last few days. Things are starting to get better at the minute, more hopeful that something good will happen, but might just take time :(

Just start a correspondence with a journalist now. The DF will not like the papers getting wind of this as they don't wanna be shown in a bad light. Once a journo gets in touch with them they will start to see your not a pushover. I reckon your in with a good shout anyway.. Keep fit.. Just in case ha

Just start a correspondence with a journalist now. The DF will not like the papers getting wind of this as they don't wanna be shown in a bad light. Once a journo gets in touch with them they will start to see your not a pushover. I reckon your in with a good shout anyway.. Keep fit.. Just in case ha

Hahah i'm deffo no pushover and I think the DF are getting that feeling in all lol
    Thanks very much @skinnykenyan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kev9257

just abit of info, had a fitness test in cork today and got an email a few hours later saying ive a medical on the 29th, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

Yeah true. Thanks for the reply. The current panel will have to be replaced pretty soon though won't it? As far as I know they can only last 12 months.

I think I should rephrase my question.

Is it likely that there will be a fresh competition started at any stage IN 2014?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭david2013

kev9257 wrote: »
    just abit of info, had a fitness test in cork today and got an email a few hours later saying ive a medical on the 29th, happy days

a few hours.. happy days. i had mine last week in cathal brugha still no word!! has anyone got word from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

david2013 wrote: »
    a few hours.. happy days. i had mine last week in cathal brugha still no word!! has anyone got word from there?

No man I'm on the same boat as you, still waiting for a word back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DVPJC88

Panda.w wrote: »
    Anybody here do there fitness test for the navy the past week??
    Ye me. My medical is the 26th.

Yeah true. Thanks for the reply. The current panel will have to be replaced pretty soon though won't it? As far as I know they can only last 12 months.

I think I should rephrase my question.

Is it likely that there will be a fresh competition started at any stage IN 2014?
    The reason a panel is closed after 12 months is because it goes stale I.e. lads and ladies are no longer fit or uneligible due to age etc. the competitions section of the army have kept this years panel as up to date as possible and now the majority on the panel have done a fitness again this year so I can see the panel being continued to be used into 2014. I've been told that there will possibly more platoons being inducted into the army in the new year from the panel.

I'm not saying there won't be recruitment it just dosnt look likely at the moment.. Circumstances could change later in the year.

I can see the panel being continued to be used into 2014.

There are not that many left on the panel ;)

There are not that many left on the panel ;)[/quote
    Ye good point ha

All going to plan there will be platoons in the new year. After that I'd say the panel will close.

Ye good point ha

All going to plan there will be platoons in the new year. After that I'd say the panel will close.

No

There are not that many left on the panel ;)[/quote
    Ye good point ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Anthony18

Have medical for navy on 20th Aug. Am slightly shortsighted, just wondering does anyone know what the story is with the eye test. What are the vision requirements and should you tell them if you wear glasses (just wear them for tv) ?

• Advertisement

Anthony18 wrote: »
    Have medical for navy on 20th Aug. Am slightly shortsighted, just wondering does anyone know what the story is with the eye test. What are the vision requirements and should you tell them if you wear glasses (just wear them for tv) ?

I think it not less than 6/12 in one eye and 6/18 in the other unaided. Corrected to 6/6 which is 20/20 vision. Tell them you wear glasses and bring them on the day.

Advertisement