Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

If you ask me you're exactly what the Army should be looking for, someone who wants it so much that they're willing to fight for it like you. It was shocking the number of people who were able to go the whole way through the process last year to get called up only to drop out after a few weeks wasting a place that someone else could have had.
    If they'd done the recruitment process correctly and properly identified the people who 'really wanted it', there wouldn't have been a single drop out....

Couldn't agree with you anymore billy few mates, I said from day one that if the army took people who were willing to train and work until they were about to drop that the % of people dropping out in the first few weeks would be far lower than it actually is. I know a lot of people who got in and dropped out between week 1-9 the only differance between them and me was that they had the gift of the gab and could have talked the way into anything, while I had more determination to do well, taking isn't my strong point lol

david2013 wrote: »
    most ppl only applied last year because of no work being around. i applied three times before i even go word for an interview! its annoying ha!!

Now that is determination, fair play. I remember sitting in school and going on the PDF website and they were taking on and I was gutted I couldn't apply I must have been about 15, think it was 2010. Hope you get in dave you deserve it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

most ppl only applied last year because of no work being around. i applied three times before i even go word for an interview! its annoying ha!!

Same as myself bud applied 7 times in total in last 3-4 years and unfortunately not the best at selling myself and my strengths to people so didn't progress through the interview in any of the competitions and this time i was lucky enough to progress through and plan to give it my all and use every bit of will power and motivation to get myself through the tough times in training (If im lucky enough to be selected to join) and hopefully have a lengthy career in the Defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Sounds like an army strong advert in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

Recruit training is nothing like you expect. There are lots of days when you get woken up at 6:30 and just ask yourself why your even there.

It is so demanding mentally and physically. At the end of the day you eventually just get used to it, all the good and the bad. Nothing starts to surprise you anymore.

It's not all cool and exciting, some parts are, but it is one hell of a challenge, and it's the most difficult thing I've ever done. I gave up a lot to join the defence forces but I don't regret it.

I only got through it because of Coca Cola, Cigarettes, phone calls home and the friends I made.

Who ever is lucky enough to join my only advice is just prepare yourself, and know what to expect.

If you turn up with the wrong attitude, and expect to glide through training your career will be short. Your going to be pushed to the limit

Enjoy it, and good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭david2013

i figured u be woken early most mornings anyway? and yea same as that im not the best in interviews, and like i do always say now if they done the fitness test first then interview, id probably be in there 2/3 yrs now.. it worked out bad for me because when there wasnt many applying they have interview first and when 11,000 apply they do the fitness test first -- raging!!

Got email today, have to go to St Bricins Military Hospital to get measured again :)

Got email today, have to go to St Bricins Military Hospital to get measured again :)

Well done ask them to throw in a medical while your there :P

c-90 wrote: »
    Well done ask them to throw in a medical while your there :P

Think that when my height is confirmed that I will be doing my medical there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Well done, start doing those stretching exercises....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Well done I knew it would work ou for ya.. U may grow a few cms before ya go down lol

Well done I knew it would work ou for ya.. U may grow a few cms before ya go down lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Think that when my height is confirmed that I will be doing my medical there and then

Be sure to headbutt the measuring thing as you step off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

"If the Army recruited the right people, they wouldn't lose so many people", "If the Army picked people like me, they wouldn't lose so many people", "If the Army recruited people who work hard, they wouldn't lose so many people" and so on and so on.

I'd advise prospective Recruits, to forget any kind of ideas of what they think Recruit Training will be like, what kind of person they think will cope with it or what kind of person drops out from Recruit Training.

Those people who dropped out, went a step further than you have yet. Until you're wearing a black beret, with three stars on your chest, you're in no position to judge them. You could just as easily join them.

Be sure to headbutt the measuring thing as you step off.:D

Hahaha I will be doing more than head butting the fecking thing lol

Well done, start doing those stretching exercises....

Hahah have started them in all, have grown 3cm from early today :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Is the medical AM or PM...?
    Its well known that you're taller first thing in the morning when you get out of bed and your spine is relaxed, over the course of the day the spine gradually compresses under your body weight leading to slight height loss.
    It might be worth considering spending the night before in Dublin to avoid a long car journey from Belfast which could also lead to compression of the spine....

Is the medical AM or PM...?
    Its well known that you're taller first thing in the morning when you get out of bed and your spine is relaxed, over the course of the day the spine gradually compresses under your body weight leading to slight height loss.
    It might be worth considering spending the night before in Dublin to avoid a long car journey from Belfast which could also lead to compression of the spine....

Thanks for the advice billy, think I might head down night before, but still brining my doctors note that states my height of 159cm and that was 3/4 in the afternoon. They said that they will contact me on Monday to give me a date and time.

any word from cathal brugha about medicals??

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

any word from cathal brugha about medicals??

i have got one on Wednesday

• Advertisement

St Bricins Military Hospital Monday 26th at 11:30

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

Just got an email for medical for Wednesday 04 Sept 2013, St. Bricins Military Hospital delighted :D

pk998 wrote: »
    Just got an email for medical for Wednesday 04 Sept 2013, St. Bricins Military Hospital delighted :D

was your p.t in cathal brugha if so what date

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

was your p.t in cathal brugha if so what date

Yes I had pt's in cathal brugha on the o7 of aug which was the Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dylan051

I have my medical next Monday.
    I'm 19 , don't smokeand have no medical conditions or on any medication.
    just wondering is there anything I should or shouldn't do beforehand ?
    thanks

dylan051 wrote: »
    I have my medical next Monday.
    I'm 19 , don't smokeand have no medical conditions or on any medication.
    just wondering is there anything I should or shouldn't do beforehand ?
    thanks

Don't listen to loud music on head phones as this may effect your heating for the hearing test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dylan051

Don't listen to loud music on head phones as this may effect your heating for the hearing test :)

Thanks, makes sense but not something you'd think of !

Avoid loud noises is the main thing. If you wear glasses don't forget them.. Be clean shaved on the day and don't forget a copy of the email and your ID. Try get a good night sleep and stay calm on the day if your nervous it might affect Ur blood pressure and you might have to go to your gp for a ECG ( happened to me in my first medical). You should be grand just don't panic it's nothin to worry about.

As I'm sure your email says fast from midnight the day beforehand. And don't go on the piss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Speedy19

Anybody hear anything about a start date for Southern brigade ? Medicals are still ongoing but wondering if anybody heard anything around?

Advertisement