Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭david2013

have medical 23rd id nearly go doc and get bloods took to check so i'll know meself if anything wrong with them, cos the waitin is ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Speedy19

david2013 wrote: »
    have medical 23rd id nearly go doc and get bloods took to check so i'll know meself if anything wrong with them, cos the waitin is ****!!

Why would there be something wrong with your bloods? If its drugs then you would want to have a serious think about a career in the defence forces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Speedy19 wrote: »
    Why would there be something wrong with your bloods? If its drugs then you would want to have a serious think about a career in the defence forces

Diabetes, anaemia etc. Don't assume the test is just for drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

That would be kinda pointless. The doctor doesn't know what the DF would be looking for in the blood test. You could just as easily pass a GP's generic blood test and fail the DF one, or vice versa.

amurph0 wrote: »
    That would be kinda pointless. The doctor doesn't know what the DF would be looking for in the blood test. You could just as easily pass a GP's generic blood test and fail the DF one, or vice versa.

To be fair, that's a very silly post.
    Who do you suppose did medicals for the DF when there was a shortage of Army doctors? The standards required by the defence forces are well known to the medical profession, and getting a medical check beforehand by your own doctor is not only good advice but in many cases is recommended to save on unnecessary expense.

A blood test is a blood test is a blood test is a blood test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Theres no point panicking about the medical. Your bloods could be grand and you could fail on sight, hearing, lung function etc. you will only cause yourself problems worrying.. Ya dont wanna roll up to the hospital with high blood preasure as this will delay you further.. Its out of your hands now just relax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

To be fair, that's a very silly post.
    Who do you suppose did medicals for the DF when there was a shortage of Army doctors? The standards required by the defence forces are well known to the medical profession, and getting a medical check beforehand by your own doctor is not only good advice but in many cases is recommended to save on unnecessary expense.

A blood test is a blood test is a blood test is a blood test.

Just because the Army have hired GP's from outside the DF to carry out blood tests for them in the past does not mean that the standards are the same. In that particular case I'd assume the Army would have provided them with the specifications of what they want checked.

Your regular GP may look for things that the Army would not, or vice versa. Something that a GP may see as acceptable may be unacceptable for the army, like cholesterol or blood glucose levels.

It's obviously a good idea to get a general check up with a GP to see if there are no obvious irregularities but when it comes to bloods the Army's requirements would be too specific.

I've spoken to few different GP's about the Army medical and none of them really knew the standards of the it, so I would say it is not as well known as you say it is.

amurph0 wrote: »
    Just because the Army have hired GP's from outside the DF to carry out blood tests for them in the past does not mean that the standards are the same. In that particular case I'd assume the Army would have provided them with the specifications of what they want checked.

Your regular GP may look for things that the Army would not, or vice versa. Something that a GP may see as acceptable may be unacceptable for the army, like cholesterol or blood glucose levels.

It's obviously a good idea to get a general check up with a GP to see if there are no obvious irregularities but when it comes to bloods the Army's requirements would be too specific.

I've spoken to few different GP's about the Army medical and none of them really knew the standards of the it, so I would say it is not as well known as you say it is.

So what are the top secret medical pathology requirements that the average GP in your circle of friends are unaware of.

my hearing/vision/lungs are grand all good i dont smoke didnt do any drugs, but with the bloods who knows what'd be up with them, yano? And yea, what would the df find from your blood that a doc wouldnt, id say the docs check would be alot thorough than what the df would be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

What sort of questions do they ask on the questionnaire that the doctor goes through with you...?

• Advertisement

my hearing/vision/lungs are grand all good i dont smoke didnt do any drugs, but with the bloods who knows what'd be up with them, yano? And yea, what would the df find from your blood that a doc wouldnt, id say the docs check would be alot thorough than what the df would be looking for.
    If ya wanna get your bloods checked some of the stuff the army check for are hiv, hepatitis, diabetes, anaemia, kidney function, liver function, pregnancy (lol), it probably screens for common blood disorders too. I think blood gets screened for drug usage and any deficiencies aswell like lack of,or too much, iron, b12 etc.

If your taking any medications declare them on the day, this includes vitamins, supplements, decongestants, absolutely everything ha.

If ya wanna get your bloods checked some of the stuff the army check for are hiv, hepatitis, diabetes, anaemia, kidney function, liver function, pregnancy (lol), it probably screens for common blood disorders too. I think blood gets screened for drug usage and any deficiencies aswell like lack of,or too much, iron, b12 etc.

If your taking any medications declare them on the day, this includes vitamins, supplements, decongestants, absolutely everything ha.

well i did miss my period this month?? lol, yea thats what id be on about lack of iron or stuff like that.. i thought the urine test was for drugs and the bloods was for the stuff u mentioned? either way i just want this medical over with and get into the f***ing place ha

Some stuff lingers in the blood after its left the urine so i was told anyway but im not sure if they would be that thorough.i dont think they are too worried if your a bit low on iron or that they might just suggest that you increase your intake of whatever ur lacking.. Im sure ul be fine though.. Best of luck with the baby ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Panda.w

Paul mac wrote: »
    Dose any1 no when the navy are starting done my medical over 3 weeks ago still haven't heard anything back

Was told the 23rd when i was doing the fitness test bud. Done the medical thursday and was told bloods will take 3-4 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Paul mac

Panda.w wrote: »
    Was told the 23rd when i was doing the fitness test bud. Done the medical thursday and was told bloods will take 3-4 weeks...

23rd of this month or next ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Panda.w

Paul mac wrote: »
    23rd of this month or next ...

this month bud...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

Bout time got date for fitness No.3 , 12th September , 10:30 Cathal Brugha Barracks

Bout time got date for fitness No.3 , 12th September , 10:30 Cathal Brugha Barracks

Have you had your height checked yet?

dont stand near any driers or anything when they're on lol best of luck :)

Have you had your height checked yet?

Nope they sent me a email canceling my height check at the military hospital and sent me fitness again. Is anyone else going for fitness on the 12th.

• Advertisement

dont stand near any driers or anything when they're on lol best of luck :)

haahh thanks David lol

Nope they sent me a email canceling my height check at the military hospital and sent me fitness again. Is anyone else going for fitness on the 12th.

I reckon your on your own ha

I reckon your on your own ha

hahah looking like that atm, but the woman on the phone said there is still lots of fitness to do, so maybe...

hahah looking like that atm, but the woman on the phone said there is still lots of fitness to do, so maybe...

Really? Theres prob more platoons going in later on in the year

Really? Theres prob more platoons going in later on in the year

the woman on the phone said September, October and November

Ah thats good you should be alright

For all of Ireland or ?? Expand on that please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

I'v been hearing that cathal brugha is going to be September but thats all I'v heard atm.

Speedy19 wrote: »
    For all of Ireland or ?? Expand on that please :)

what?

• Advertisement

what?

Platoons for September October November in all brigades or just Where you applied

Advertisement