Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

offers are out in cork. limerick on the 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

cork2 wrote: »
    offers are out in cork. limerick on the 23rd

Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smoking200

haven't seen or heard anything for athlone yet on this or anywhere, so i'm guessing they will be taking in later in the year, has anyone had a medical already for athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kev9257

Just got the email ive been waiting for off to galway I go :) cheers for all da info over da past few months lads

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

kev9257 wrote: »
    Just got the email ive been waiting for off to galway I go :) cheers for all da info over da past few months lads

Congrats startin the 23rd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 kev9257

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Is everyone from Athlone doing medicals at the end of the month? few my friends rang me and I said I heard of people who applied to other areas getting called, but not athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Is everyone from Athlone doing medicals at the end of the month? few my friends rang me and I said I heard of people who applied to other areas getting called, but not athlone?

People who applied to athlone were at my medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Paul mac

Anyone know if your aloud bring your car with you when training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Paul mac wrote: »
    Anyone know if your aloud bring your car with you when training

It should say in your joining instructions?

Anyway for Navy training you won't be allowed have your car at the start but after a week or two you can apply up in the MP's office for a parking permit, which is a sticker you put on your windscreen. Your class officer or NCO should tell ye that at one of the briefings when you start, ask them for the forms.

• Advertisement

i have my medical end of the month too, so they mustnt be taking in until october

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

amurph0 wrote: »
    It should say in your joining instructions?

Anyway for Navy training you won't be allowed have your car at the start but after a week or two you can apply up in the MP's office for a parking permit, which is a sticker you put on your windscreen. Your class officer or NCO should tell ye that at one of the briefings when you start, ask them for the forms.

Not necessarily always the case, depends on the platoon commander. It could be a month before your allowed your car on barracks. Make sure you know the local public transport beforehand.

Not necessarily always the case, depends on the platoon commander. It could be a month before your allowed your car on barracks. Make sure you know the local public transport beforehand.

It was the case when I did my Navy training, and it was the case for the classes before and after mine.

Either way, if you want to bring a car in you need to apply for a permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Thanks lads just asked one of the lads they said athlone was split some applicants doing medicals with other barracks for training others for athlone later in october, you also need to supply the reg of your car and get a permit

It was the case when I did my Navy training, and it was the case for the classes before and after mine.

Either way, if you want to bring a car in you need to apply for a permit.

Cool, just when I trained (army mind you) we weren't allowed our cars for a month regardless if we looked for a permit! Training staffs decision. We had them the first week as that's what we arrived in but after that we had to find other means of getting there.

Cool, just when I trained (army mind you) we weren't allowed our cars for a month regardless if we looked for a permit! Training staffs decision. We had them the first week as that's what we arrived in but after that we had to find other means of getting there.

Paul Mac is a Naval Service recruit, so was I, that's why I offered the advice. Army and Navy do things differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Paul Mac is a Naval Service recruit, so was I, that's why I offered the advice. Army and Navy do things differently.

Iv trained army platoons where no personal vehicles were allowed and others where you were indeed allowed use them (the keys were kept with the staff though).

It's a pain in the bollox if recruits have their own cars. It negates the possibility of them fcuking off anytime they feel like it.

the waiting around is gonna be a bollix medical end of the month i just want to be in training and have it done with!! Wonder how the training will be interesting to say the least id say

Iv trained army platoons where no personal vehicles were allowed and others where you were indeed allowed use them (the keys were kept with the staff though).

It's a pain in the bollox if recruits have their own cars. It negates the possibility of them fcuking off anytime they feel like it.

I'm not arguing about whether or not it's a good thing for recruits to have cars with them. I'm just saying to Paul Mac (who is a Naval Service recruit) that in the Navy, for my class and every class I know of, they were allowed.

Probably because the only ways off the Island without a car is via the 2 buses (one at half 7 in the morning and the other at half 4 in the evening) and the launch, which runs on a very limited timetable.

Regardless, it should be specified in the joining instructions. I still have my joining instructions from back when I joined and it specifies on page 4 that if you want to bring your car to the base then you will be issued a permit after showing your training staff proof of registration, insurance, NCT and a drivers license.

Thanks lads...it dosent mention anything about cars on the joining instruction ,iv emailed them anyway so hopefully they get back to me,,also what should we wear on the 1st day casual or interview clothes ...

• Advertisement

Thanks lads...it dosent mention anything about cars on the joining instruction ,iv emailed them anyway so hopefully they get back to me,,also what should we wear on the 1st day casual or interview clothes ...

When I turned up on the first day I wore a shirt and tie, one or two other lads did as well, everyone else was in casual clothes.

Regardless I'd turn up wearing something smart anyway.

Yea mistook him for army recruit!

With regards when I trained it was the same with buses, has a nightmare trying to get anywhere, even for local leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I'm not arguing about whether or not it's a good thing for recruits to have cars with them. I'm just saying to Paul Mac (who is a Naval Service recruit) that in the Navy, for my class and every class I know of, they were

Ah I know what you are saying alright and no argument from me. I did quote you but my point was moreso aimed at any upcoming Recruits.

In my experience as a Recruit and as an instructor, cars cause more hassle than they are worth during training.

Yea mistook him for army recruit!

With regards when I trained it was the same with buses, has a nightmare trying to get anywhere, even for local leave.

Navy just got back on to me your aloud your car,you don't have to apply for a permit or anything ,that will make life a little bit easier wasn't looking forward to getting busses

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Paul mac did u get your joining instructions straight away or after the deadline to accept the offer?

Paul mac did u get your joining instructions straight away or after the deadline to accept the offer?

Got um a day or 2 after the dead line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Navy just got back on to me your aloud your car,you don't have to apply for a permit or anything ,that will make life a little bit easier wasn't looking forward to getting busses

Did they mention that your car will be parked roughly a mile from where you'll be doing training? Its OK, you'll get to run past it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

Got offer for Dundalk for the 23rd Sept :)

• Advertisement

all ye getting offers and me still stuck at the medical part on 23rd :( lol.. but dont hear many on about athlone yet so happy enough..

Advertisement