Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aaronduffy

What do we wear to the medical?? Slacks shirt or jeans or what???

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

i just wore jeans and a t-shirt other people just had tracksuit bottoms and t-shirts just make sure your clean shaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smoking200

should i shave the face aswell???

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

smoking200 wrote: »

Ya shave the face y where else are ya gonna shave?? Actually i dont wanna know ha... Read back over the thread theres loads of good advice for the medical. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Errrr nowhere else requires shaving...

• Advertisement

jokin jokin..

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

Passed fitness on Thursday, got email on Friday for medical this Thursday coming will be an early 0300 start for me, just glad to get medical finally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

interesting report on RTE today about the Naval Service maybe having to "park" one or more of it's ships due to lack of qualified crews. Maybe a bit of kite-flying, after the exit from service of L.E. Emer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

aloyisious wrote: »
    interesting report on RTE today about the Naval Service maybe having to "park" one or more of it's ships due to lack of qualified crews. Maybe a bit of kite-flying, after the exit from service of L.E. Emer.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/crew-shortages-could-see-navy-ships-grind-to-halt-243039.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Paul mac

Any one know where to buy these Iron on name tags ,thanks

• Advertisement

Paul mac wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=125304480962874&set=a.104465666380089.10704.100004499679775&type=1&theater

Pretty sure you can get these on iron on too, on this website

Apart from the stuff on the kit list what else should we bring with us?? Is there a need for any civvy clothing? Do we need our own iron? Thanks in advance dudes

Do we have to bring shorts for the medical??

no,, tracksuit n boxers! ya'll be dropping the tracksuit for the doc. its same thing as goin your own doc just its a full check up..

no,, tracksuit n boxers! ya'll be dropping the tracksuit for the doc. its same thing as goin your own doc just its a full check up..

Would you be able to tell me what they check for in the medical thanks :)

For PDF:

Height & weight checked
    Hearing test (avoid all sources of loud noise for at least 72hrs before test)
    Eyesight test (it is a machine you look into, hi-tech version of the wall chart, colour test, depth perception, stereo vision, etc etc) (if you wear glasses you must reach the standard both with and without - ie if you need glasses bring them!)
    Lung Capacity Test
    Filling in a form on your personal and family medical history
    Chest X-Ray
    Blood Test
    Urine Test
    Medical - basically a once over by the equivalent of a GP, testing reflexs, going through medical history, listening to lungs, blood pressure, looking for a hernia etc etc

For RDF - all the above except no chest x-ray, blood or urine tests.

Balls held and you're told to cough. (for men)

Cheers just the waiting is a killer

For PDF:

Height & weight checked
    Eyesight test (it is a machine you look into, hi-tech version of the wall chart, colour test, depth perception, stereo vision, etc etc) (if you wear glasses you must reach the standard both with and without - ie if you need glasses bring them!)
    Lung Capacity Test
    Chest X-Ray
    Blood Test
    Urine Test
    Medical - basically a once over by the equivalent of a GP, testing reflexs, going through medical history, listening to lungs, blood pressure, looking for a hernia etc etc

Thanks a lot all a can say is thank god I'm not a man lol :p

aaronduffy wrote: »
    Cheers just the waiting is a killer

When is your medical?

When is your medical?

2mro

• Advertisement

aaronduffy wrote: »
    2mro

Good luck, I have mine Thursday :).

Some medical facilities dont do chest xray it depends where ya do your medical

Good luck, I have mine Thursday :).

Same to you.. Just want it to be over. Hate waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Paul mac wrote: »

Dunnes, Tesco, €2 shops
    Apart from the stuff on the kit list what else should we bring with us?? Is there a need for any civvy clothing? Do we need our own iron? Thanks in advance dudes

Bring an iron. Yes bring civvys. At night in your "own" time you will be allowed dress down. You will also travel home in civvys.

Best of luck.

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Yeah I'd bring my own iron, i doubt there'll be any good ones there when you arrive. So the only ones you'd really be using are the ones people bring with them. When you get there you might buddy up with some of the other lads in the room and get an ironing board between ye. Even if there's a board there already it'll be a good idea to get another one so you're not queuing up in the evening to use it.

See if you can find some twisty ties in an outdoor shop for blousing the ends of your trousers, or get some thick elastic bands. Also a lint roller is handy as well for dusting down uniforms, or a big roll of packaging tape.

And a 4-socket extension would be handy as well, you might be a few bunks away from the nearest plug socket and there'll probably be only a few in the room.

good thinking ^^^ it'll be a nerve-wrecking first few days getting sorted wouldnt it,, or -hopefully - wont it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

For PDF:

Height & weight checked
    Lung Capacity Test
    Chest X-Ray
    Blood Test
    Urine Test

Recruits aren't getting chest X-rays they also get an ECG test

You have to make eye contact while he's holding your balls. He doesn't even buy you dinner first :(

c-90 wrote: »
    Recruits aren't getting chest X-rays they also get an ECG test

You have to make eye contact while he's holding your balls. He doesn't even buy you dinner first :(

Whats the ECG? yea i heard that he doesnt even call or text the next day :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Whats the ECG? yea i heard that he doesnt even call or text the next day :(

It's when they stick all those little clips to your chest and you have to lie still for about a minute.

It's used to check the electrical activity in your heart, how it beats, etc.

Advertisement