Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

smoking200 wrote: »
    Whats the ECG? yea i heard that he doesnt even call or text the next day :(

Electrocardiograph (ECG) is basically a reading of the electrical activity of you heart, making sure that you don't suffer from tachycardia (too fast of a heartbeat) or bradycardia (too slow of a heartbeat).

A-level science does come in handy sometimes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smoking200

have never heard of that.. i think mines alright anyway ha! have a pain in me foot from a match there 2 weeks ago its not mad sore but sore enough, will they be at your feet or toes much cos it'll get painful some1 pulling at it

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

We didnt have an ecg in the curragh if there was a problem like high blood pressure like i had they send you to your gp to get one done. If theres no problem we had no ecg. The doc will be at your feet to check your arches but shouldnt really be pulling out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conroy90

Has any 1 got an offer from cathal brugha done my medical 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zombie3

Just as a matter of interest anyone here who was in the Navy before, how much time do you get to see your family and friends and how often can you talk to them during and after training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ANNEW

Where can you get the long sleeve dry flow training tops for the navy. Are they the same as the underarmour ?

Kiwi parade gloss polish no longer available in Ireland according to the manufacturers, what would be the best polish as a substitute

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Paul mac

ANNEW wrote: »
    Kiwi parade gloss polish no longer available in Ireland according to the manufacturers, what would be the best polish as a substitute

You can get it in the Shoe repair shop in Paul st shopping centre in cork..

polish for the army boots is it?? from what ive heard they aren't as strict about the ott shine on them as they were years ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

polish for the army boots is it?? from what ive heard they aren't as strict about the ott shine on them as they were years ago..

That would be incorrect. The only difference is the current parade boots are easier to shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

That would be incorrect. The only difference is the current parade boots are easier to shine.

In the absence of kiwi what kinda polish would you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

cork2 wrote: »
    In the absence of kiwi what kinda polish would you get?

Punch Guardsman's Gloss isn't meant to be as good as Kiwi Parade Gloss but it'll do the job, you can usually find a tin in Tescos.

Cherry Blossom is ok as well, I've seen tins of it being sold in Dealz.

ANNEW wrote: »

Found it in shoe repair shop in Stephens Green Centre and Charlestown SC in Finglas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dylan051

Picked up some kiwi polish at the dry cleaner/key cutting stall in the jervis centre , if anyone's looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Lads, any black shoe polish will do nowadays. Goldie is correct, the new issue boots have a sheen to them already.

It's not like the old parade boots that took a lot of time, skill and effort to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 heyjules

Has anyone got word from cathal brugha? did my medical 3 weeks ago. Thought I would have heard by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conroy90

heyjules wrote: »
    Has anyone got word from cathal brugha? did my medical 3 weeks ago. Thought I would have heard by now.

No not yet .. no news is good news i suppose just hope they get back to us soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 doniamator

Is anyone allowed to wait with u in the hospital while your doin the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Lads, any black shoe polish will do nowadays. Goldie is correct, the new issue boots have a sheen to them already.

It's not like the old parade boots that took a lot of time, skill and effort to sort out.

If you're going to use soft yellow duster cloths on the toecaps, use broken-in cloths or you'll be forever picking fluff from the rim between the uppers and the sole. If it's spit-polishing, start rubbing the polish and spit in on the toecap in small circular movements before gradually finishing in a single movement
    covering the whole cap. There's a chance now that spit-polishing will be discouraged as destroying the waterproofing viability of the boot.

have my medical next week, only thing thats worrying me is my Garda Vetting, i've a good few road traffic offences, the only major one is no insurance!! Would they look at road traffic at all, cos coming closer to the time its starting to wreck my head haha!! Im sure theres been a few that had a lot worse and got in??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Is there any chance of the PDF recruiting in 2014?

Another thing lads prob wouldnt think of is flip flops for the showers. Dont wanna be picking up a veruca or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

have my medical next week, only thing thats worrying me is my Garda Vetting, i've a good few road traffic offences, the only major one is no insurance!! Would they look at road traffic at all, cos coming closer to the time its starting to wreck my head haha!! Im sure theres been a few that had a lot worse and got in??????

No chance mate. I know a bloke who didn't get in for a single road traffic offence, and it was less than No Insurance, think it was speeding... And he had family in the PDF too. Well done on driving without insurance.

right so what about the lads that get in with public order offences ive heard many of them getting in! i had work that morning and the insurance was out the day before, and i didnt have a notion.

discus wrote: »
    No chance mate. I know a bloke who didn't get in for a single road traffic offence, and it was less than No Insurance, think it was speeding... And he had family in the PDF too. Well done on driving without insurance.

and you're trying to tell me someone didnt get in over 1 speeding conviction??

Ring manpower in the barracks you applied to and explain it to them they might tell you where ya stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yeah, I am. He ended up joining the BA, because of it. A family member of his is doing fairly well for himself in the PDF, very well.

did the medical doc or anyone mention how long before we get word??

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

did the medical doc or anyone mention how long before we get word??

Nope, he wouldn't know.

I imagine It will follow the same intake as last year one in late September (last Monday) late October and late November with one or 2 platoons at each intake.

They try to give 2 weeks notice for each intake but can be much less. So if you use last year you can estimate emails for October will be in the first or second week of October and the same for November.

This is only my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

How often do the cadets recruit lads?

Advertisement