Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with that. Of the 7500 only 100 are called to interview. From whay I've seen the majority are whittled down at the group phase. As only the strongest are taken from group. Only 3 people failed fitness (from what I saw) when I was there last year.

I don't know why they don't do the fitness test first! Would weed out the weeds and fatties.

Considering theres 500 places there hardly only going to call 100 to interview

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Wouldn't agree with that. Of the 7500 only 100 are called to interview. From whay I've seen the majority are whittled down at the group phase. As only the strongest are taken from group. Only 3 people failed fitness (from what I saw) when I was there last year.

I don't know why they don't do the fitness test first! Would weed out the weeds and fatties.

Probably because those physically fit don't always fit the bill, psychology-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wills21

What do you mean by the group phase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Wills21 wrote: »
    What do you mean by the group phase?

I'm fairly sure he's talking about the Cadetship Competition, rather than General Enlistment.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

just to ask i applied for both the army and navy so just to make sure is it the one questionnaire fot the both

• Advertisement

Yea beck 1 questionnaire for bith

Question about the sit-ups.

What happens if one of your feet lifts slightly off the ground during one of the reps? Do you fail?

No, you don't fail.

The NCO counting your sit-ups merely won't count that rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PDF101

Lads, can anyone tell me what the story is with asthma and the medical? Will it disqualify you from the comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

You don't have asthma.. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Exactly, just say nothin.

• Advertisement

Would asthma affect the lung capacity test though?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Wills21 wrote: »
    Would asthma affect the lung capacity test though?

Done a quick google and found an experiment report comparing the Lung capacity in people with asthma with people without asthma and it concluded that : "Asthma does not affect a person’s lung capacity, but can make it harder to breathe"

Say nothing so lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Ronan O'Gara is asthmatic. It hasn't affected him much.(unless asthma causes you to miss penalties and blow your dosh on the ponies)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PDF101

Yeah I was going to say nothing! Wondering would it show up on the chest x-ray? It doesn't affect me during physical activity, so it will be grand if I get in! thanks for the replies, Anyone ever do the preparation courses for the psychometric testing? Could be worth the €70.

never done it, was lookin at it meself..

PDF101 wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to say nothing! Wondering would it show up on the chest x-ray? It doesn't affect me during physical activity, so it will be grand if I get in! thanks for the replies, Anyone ever do the preparation courses for the psychometric testing? Could be worth the €70.

Sounds like a bit of a scam psychometric test is basically an aptitude test there's loadsa sample ones online anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

swimfast wrote: »
    Considering theres 500 places there hardly only going to call 100 to interview

Not for cadets..there's only 21.
    aloyisious wrote: »
    Probably because those physically fit don't always fit the bill, psychology-wise.

Yes but an individual who "psychology-wise" fits the bill, has the potential to make it a lot further before getting DQ'd due to turning up good results. Eg. a obese genius will waste more time as they qualify through more stages than a fit idiot.

I've always thought it would make more sense to run fitness tests first. As it creates less administration all that is needed is Candidate number + pass or fail.. As opposed to wasting hours of time, paper and money on wages for people supervising and correcting. Papers for someone that is bound to fail.

Just a question, it was probably asked already but would be quicker to just ask instead of going through all the pages...

Where does the Fitness test take place i know in the Pheonix park, but is it on the main road along the path or somewhere else?

Just a question, it was probably asked already but would be quicker to just ask instead of going through all the pages...

Where does the Fitness test take place i know in the Pheonix park, but is it on the main road along the path or somewhere else?

You'll start at the bottom of the path to the Army Grounds, where it meets the road. Starting on the track there, you'll run upto the Phoenix Monument, turn around and come roughly halfway back.

• Advertisement

Grand job.. Cheers Pocc

got my PT time and date for two weeks time

anyone else

no nothing yet, what center did you apply for?

I applied to cork so maybe were starting first. more will be sent to poeple tomorrow i'd say

Ah grand.. I applied to dublin.
    Biting me nails here.. :confused:

did anyone get a fitness test date for navy for a time later than 130 because im getting the train down and then a bus from train station and earliest i could get there is about 2

I'd say let them know man..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

swimfast wrote: »
    did anyone get a fitness test date for navy for a time later than 130 because im getting the train down and then a bus from train station and earliest i could get there is about 2

Head down the night before and stay in a mares or B&B chances of tem changing your time to suit you are slim to none

Gooleybag wrote: »
    Head down the night before and stay in a mares or B&B chances of tem changing your time to suit you are slim to none

cheers man think im just gonna take the bike with me on the train

• Advertisement

Poccington wrote: »
    You'll start at the bottom of the path to the Army Grounds, where it meets the road. Starting on the track there, you'll run upto the Phoenix Monument, turn around and come roughly halfway back.

Just to check, is this where you mean?

http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Chesterfield+Ave&daddr=Chesterfield+Ave+to:Chesterfield+Ave&hl=en&sll=53.35529,-6.314135&sspn=0.013217,0.042272&geocode=FfYVLgMdY8af_w%3BFYw1LgMdO3uf_w%3BFQglLgMdbqKf_w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=15&z=15

Advertisement