Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Wee cankles

Bout time, got email yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Congratulations, when and where...?

Congratulations, when and where...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Congratulations, well done.
    Are there any more platoons forming up....?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Good luck prepare to be thrown in at the deep end, But it gets better.

• Advertisement

c-90 wrote: »
    Good luck prepare to be thrown in at the deep end, But it gets better.

Haha my nerves are staring to go already lol. Just wondering does anyone know what to bring, I haven't got a list yet and I'm leaving Monday morning for athlone!!

Haha my nerves are staring to go already lol. Just wondering does anyone know what to bring, I haven't got a list yet and I'm leaving Monday morning for athlone!!

You should have got a list. You'll get the first weekend off to get anything you don't have.

Note pads pens
    Water bottle
    Kiwi parade gloss polish
    Iron and board
    Munchies
    Tights for shinning your boots
    More munchies
    Wash powder/tabs
    A pack of toothbrushes for cleaning things
    Compede blister plasters
    Good luck.

You should have got a list. You'll get the first weekend off to get anything you don't have.

Note pads pens
    Water bottle
    Kiwi parade gloss polish
    Iron and board
    Munchies
    Tights for shinning your boots
    More munchies
    Wash powder/tabs
    A pack of toothbrushes for cleaning things
    Compede blister plasters
    Good luck.

It said m the email that I would get joining instructions/list when i accept but they will not see it till Monday and I'm leaving Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Dont worry all can be bought in Athlone on monday.

And hangers strong ones, about 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

And a tub of vaseline for the treatment or prevention of chaffing

YOU THERE! No sniggering at the back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

And hangers strong ones, about 15.

Yup. Wood ones, not plastic or wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Good luck to you all!

tac, bin there, done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Hi all, just wondering how often recruitment is happening? Been on the website and cant seem to find much in relation to it.

Thanks,
    Brembo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Just saw this on the facebook page: Irish Defence Forces Members and Ex Defence Members on facebook. It's about the passing-out parade of the Recruit Pln, 1st Mech Company of the DFTC on Jan 24th.

htt Exps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152116029116166&set=a.462303761165.253473.169367391165&type=1

If the above work's, clicking on the main photo of the four marching soldiers should open to a main menu with a comments section. Clicking on the comments should show a message from DF Recruiting to the effect there will be no recruiting for some time, but a competition will be opened in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

brembo26 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering how often recruitment is happening? Been on the website and cant seem to find much in relation to it.

Thanks,
    Brembo.

Before August this year

From the Irish Independent online service: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/defence-forces-set-to-recruit-over-400-personnel-in-army-navy-and-air-corps-30072969.html

It's say's the selection process will begin in 5 weeks time, will be for 400 PDF Pers, with an extra 500 approved for the RDF.

aloyisious wrote: »
    From the Irish Independent online service: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/defence-forces-set-to-recruit-over-400-personnel-in-army-navy-and-air-corps-30072969.html

It's say's the selection process will begin in 5 weeks time, will be for 400 PDF Pers, with an extra 500 approved for the RDF.

The Defence Forces is now accepting applications for General Service Recruits in the Army and Naval Service (Fulltime) and Reserve Defence Forces and Naval Service Reserve Recruits (part time Reservist)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Send in a application today and remember its only a gun if it has wheels.

thesamster wrote: »
    Send in a application today and remember its only a gun if it has wheels.

Lol let me guess Gunner?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Ya in the rear with the gear . Their not used anymore but 120 mortar best gun I've ever fired sucks the air out of your lungs

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Andy1990

thesamster wrote: »
    Ya in the rear with the gear . Their not used anymore but 120 mortar best gun I've ever fired sucks the air out of your lungs

I rememeber hearing those's mottos before! I had a family member in the Arty he also really enjoyed it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 limk2014

What month will it be when the basic training begins for those recruited this year? Does it happen around September or much later does anyone know? Even a rough guesstimate would help.

limk2014 wrote: »
    What month will it be when the basic training begins for those recruited this year? Does it happen around September or much later does anyone know? Even a rough guesstimate would help.

If you're lucky, it'll be the summer months, less slogging through mud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

aloyisious wrote: »
    If you're lucky, it'll be the summer months, less slogging through mud

More heat exhaustion, midges etc. Any time of the year is unpleasant to train. Sometimes you will get the worse of both worlds. Try CRC (crowd riot control) is 20 degree heat and you will be praying for the -12 degrees you were subjected too at 0600 every morning for 2 months,waiting on a corporal to appear in the hope he would run you so you warm up!

I hear some platoons will start October by the way, but with anything in the army that is subject to change.

More heat exhaustion, midges etc. Any time of the year is unpleasant to train. Sometimes you will get the worse of both worlds. Try CRC (crowd riot control) is 20 degree heat and you will be praying for the -12 degrees you were subjected too at 0600 every morning for 2 months,waiting on a corporal to appear in the hope he would run you so you warm up!

I hear some platoons will start October by the way, but with anything in the army that is subject to change.

Yup, the run down from the hospital to the magazine and back in the Curragh at 6AM, or doing the dash to the 2 hundred mid-winter with wet-suit & mask on, helmet on, and kneeling to fire, then ditto to the 1 hundred for standing. The memories are LOL :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Anyone have any insight to how many applied so far for the general enlistment for the Army?

From today's Irish Indo'....

Commandant Jayne Lawlor (photo below in Zip attachment)

Transition year students will be targeted during the Defence Forces next bid to recruit more women.

Up to 12pc of applications for general service were from women following a recent campaign through social media, sports clubs and schools, up from 10pc in 2012.

Army chiefs don’t expect to see a huge rise in the numbers actually recruited later this month, but hopes a longer-term campaign will reap results.

Commandant Jayne Lawlor wrote to 400 schools nationwide as part of the initiative, with staff visiting Leaving Cert pupils in the 140 that replied.

She said while the response from schools was disappointing, the reaction from the teenage girls wasn’t.

“Every time we visited a school you could see the statistics going up,” said the Defence Forces’ gender, equality and diversity officer.

“A lot of the students had already made up their mind about what they wanted to do, so next time we will go in to transition year classes.

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/army-chiefs-to-target-transition-year-students-in-next-recruitment-round-30511481.html#sthash.hcs7WURR.dpuf

http://exa.mn/7vz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭AirsoftDude360

Hello everyone,

Don't mind the name first off I haven't been on this website in years and it has some of the best info on the DF that i can find so i'm back,

First off i'm currently a Recruit in the RDF and we have been told that there is an upcoming PDF competition either this week or next and i am 100% going for it as I have only started training 2 weeks ago and I already love the Army!

I was just wondering how the whole process would work joining the PDF from the RDF? I did my Fitness test Nov 29 2014, Interview Dec 6 2014 & Medical Feb 11 2015 I was curious of which tests I may have to do again? or what additional tests I will have to do to become a Recruit in the PDF, Its been my dream to serve in the PDF so i'm looking to prepare as much as possible for the upcoming competition.

Info of any sort is greatly appreciated thank you everyone,

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

I was just wondering how the whole process would work joining the PDF from the RDF? I did my Fitness test Nov 29 2014, Interview Dec 6 2014 & Medical Feb 11 2015 I was curious of which tests I may have to do again?

Basically everything, you will have to redo each and every test. That is the way the Army does things.

As to what is in the process, go to
    http://www.military.ie/careers/army/recruits/induction/

Advertisement