Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭AirsoftDude360

Doctor14 wrote: »
    Basically everything, you will have to redo each and every test. That is the way the Army does things.

As to what is in the process, go to
    http://www.military.ie/careers/army/recruits/induction/

The nurse in bricins hospital told me I wouldn't have to redo medical or fitness, only interview and psychometric so I thought if being that to boards for a second opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

The nurse in bricins hospital told me I wouldn't have to redo medical or fitness, only interview and psychometric so I thought if being that to boards for a second opinion

The nurse is not running the competition. It makes sense to allow your current medical to see you through this competition but I'm sure they will make you do another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Krisd2014

Hello everyone,

Don't mind the name first off I haven't been on this website in years and it has some of the best info on the DF that i can find so i'm back,

First off i'm currently a Recruit in the RDF and we have been told that there is an upcoming PDF competition either this week or next and i am 100% going for it as I have only started training 2 weeks ago and I already love the Army!

I was just wondering how the whole process would work joining the PDF from the RDF? I did my Fitness test Nov 29 2014, Interview Dec 6 2014 & Medical Feb 11 2015 I was curious of which tests I may have to do again? or what additional tests I will have to do to become a Recruit in the PDF, Its been my dream to serve in the PDF so i'm looking to prepare as much as possible for the upcoming competition.

Info of any sort is greatly appreciated thank you everyone,

Sean

If there's another competition coming up what happens to the ones that were on the panel for recruitment in 2015, I thought they were supposed to take people from the panel that was made from the 2014 competition.

Krisd2014 wrote: »
    If there's another competition coming up what happens to the ones that were on the panel for recruitment in 2015, I thought they were supposed to take people from the panel that was made from the 2014 competition.

The way one of my mates were told ( he was on the panel ) was that panel recruits would be brought into induction in April and July as 2 seperate recruit platoons, now even hearing romours around mates in my unit anything could be possible but I strongly believe there is general service recruitment kicking off in the next month or less

There is no new recruitment competition this year. There will be an intake of the current panel towards the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 WicMan

Are you sure about this?, i feel like iv heard them all at this stage, "Subject to Government Approval", not this year, a few months from now, next April, in 2 years etc etc .... if you're a reservist id be more inclined to believe you, i need to get the finger out and start seriously training if its only a few days or weeks from now...

Are you sure about this?, i feel like iv heard them all at this stage, "Subject to Government Approval", not this year, a few months from now, next April, in 2 years etc etc .... if you're a reservist id be more inclined to believe you, i need to get the finger out and start seriously training if its only a few days or weeks from now...

EDIT: Truffle not trying to be nosy, but how do you know?, id iv thought that since the people from March of last year are finishing up it would be time for the next lot to be recruited?

WicMan wrote: »

Well no I'm not a reservist. Putting it simply........there are a lot of people currently on a waiting panel to join the PDF. Another recruitment competition for General Service will not be launched until the current panel has been exhausted. To do so would be a waste of personnel time and tax payers money.

Its possible that a Cadet competition will be launched pretty soon but not one for General Service.

In regards to the comment of "subject to government approval"....well, they are the deciding authority. The use of this phrase is often bandied about because the DF can plan competitions but its up to the government and DOD to give the green light. The DF will always use this term as its quite possible that the government could pull the recruitment plug at any stage.

The same way that a festival / concert can be advertised and tickets put on sale but "subject to planning" etc comes into play.

EDIT: Truffle not trying to be nosy, but how do you know?, id iv thought that since the people from March of last year are finishing up it would be time for the next lot to be recruited?

Its not as simple as that. As I just previously mentioned, a panel of candidates is currently in existence and that will be exhausted before a competition will be launched.

Yea sorry truffle didn't see your reply before i edited my post, for some reason i duplicated it, anyway......... i suppose your right, i guess what you mean is that they will use last years panel for the foreseeable which makes sense, i suppose unless there were particularly low numbers on that panel (which i see no evidence of) then another one so soon wouldn't make much sense, and yes i understand the Government Approval response from recruitment, after all the government has the last say, i was just trying to illustrate that iv heard so much from people in the past year (i was too young for last PDF competition last march) about the next PDF competition, eg Threads like this or just hearing from people in the Army itself, alot of those apparent start dates have come and gone..

• Advertisement

Yea sorry truffle didn't see your reply before i edited my post, for some reason i duplicated it, anyway......... i suppose your right, i guess what you mean is that they will use last years panel for the foreseeable which makes sense, i suppose unless there were particularly low numbers on that panel (which i see no evidence of) then another one so soon wouldn't make much sense, and yes i understand the Government Approval response from recruitment, after all the government has the last say, i was just trying to illustrate that iv heard so much from people in the past year (i was too young for last PDF competition last march) about the next PDF competition, eg Threads like this or just hearing from people in the Army itself, alot of those apparent start dates have come and gone..

Yeah, I know its frustrating to be hearing different things from different people. The best bet is to just go with what www.military.ie say or the official DF facebook page.

There's always someone in the RDF / PDF that heard something from someone who read something on a yellow post it and decided it was the truth. I even know my response to all this can also be criticised and my "facts" can be queried.

If the government in conjunction with the DOD decide to bring the current PDF enlisted ranks up to strength, its quite possible that the current candidates on the waiting list will be joined by a recruitment competition. Its possible..........but will it happen? Unfortunately, the all mighty Euro is the deciding factor.

Best of luck in the future, keep checking the websites.

Oh believe me if the Irish Defence Forces were a person i would be locked up for stalking them haha, i follow and check all the major sources daily, and yea it can be very frustrating but hopefully worth it, thanks for your reply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Its not as simple as that. As I just previously mentioned, a panel of candidates is currently in existence and that will be exhausted before a competition will be launched.

General Services for Naval recruits opened on the 16th of last months ended on the 27th fitness date is 24th of this months intake is 80 personal they are starting new panel as panel of over 100 candidates is currently in existence and rather then contact them they just advertised a new competition No word on Army yet but if the Navy started new intake from new panel so will the Army and soon i would imagine.

Information regarding this can be found on the Irish Naval Services Facebook page!

General Services for Naval recruits opened on the 16th of last months ended on the 27th fitness date is 24th of this months intake is 80 personal they are starting new panel as panel of over 100 candidates is currently in existence and rather then contact them they just advertised a new competition No word on Army yet but if the Navy started new intake from new panel so will the Army and soon i would imagine.

Information regarding this can be found on the Irish Naval Services Facebook page!

It's strange that they did not use the existing panel. The information I posted is as up to date for the Army as I could get and from a person who deals with this type of thing.

That person has been told that are no plans for Army GS recruitment this year. They are hoping to clear the panel or at least start working on it by the end of the year.

But who knows, could be a different story in 3 days time. Hopefully they will.

It's strange that they did not use the existing panel. The information I posted is as up to date for the Army as I could get and from a person who deals with this type of thing.

That person has been told that are no plans for Army GS recruitment this year. They are hoping to clear the panel or at least start working on it by the end of the year.

But who knows, could be a different story in 3 days time. Hopefully they will.

https://www.facebook.com/irishnavalservice/photos/a.108479675901604.17050.101764433239795/787052658044299/?type=1&theater

The Army will follow suit soon within next 2-4 Months a new panel will be created.

To those that have the fitness in two weeks best of luck.

https://www.facebook.com/irishnavalservice/photos/a.108479675901604.17050.101764433239795/787052658044299/?type=1&theater

The Army will follow suit soon within next 2-4 Months a new panel will be created.

To those that have the fitness in two weeks best of luck.

Someone better tell competition section so :)

They might be surprised. It would be nice to take in 300 or so.

Someone better tell competition section so :)

They might be surprised. It would be nice to take in 300 or so.

Hopefully, But theirs one thing the Irish Government is great at, been backwards especial when it comes to the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Not so strange at all really. The Army will rightly only go so far down the list when bringing in recruit platoons. If they exhaust a panel they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Better to start afresh and the top tier of the new panel is made up of brand new people and also some from the previous panel who have went back and upped their game since last time.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Not so strange at all really. The Army will rightly only go so far down the list when bringing in recruit platoons. If they exhaust a panel they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Better to start afresh and the top tier of the new panel is made up of brand new people and also some from the previous panel who have went back and upped their game since last time.

That whole post negates the purpose of the panel. If there are 100 recruit places and 300 people on the panel, there is no need for a recruitment competition.

I agree with what you said but that's the purpose of the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

That whole post negates the purpose of the panel. If there are 100 recruit places and 300 people on the panel, there is no need for a recruitment competition.

Not at all. They will always only go so far down the panel before said panel is scrapped and a new competition begins. It's the same in every recruitment competition for any job, especially in the PS.

Just because you are on the panel does not give you any right to expect a call up. Doesn't work that way at all. If you are number 300 on a panel of 300 you get the nod if they decide they need 300 bods between individual recruitment competitions. But that is a HUGE if.

Since the last competition there are thousands of newly eligible candidates that could be be far more suitable than the dregs at the bottom of the current barrel.

• Advertisement

The 2015 Cadetship just opened, would it be safe to assume this was competition that that this thread was started over, as in your contact in the RDF thought it was General Service, or should we still expect a new panel to be created in a month or so?

The 2015 Cadetship just opened, would it be safe to assume this was competition that that this thread was started over, as in your contact in the RDF thought it was General Service, or should we still expect a new panel to be created in a month or so?

Their was a competition started 2weeks ago for the Navy, Army has not been announced but i reckon it be within next 60days

Their was a competition started 2weeks ago for the Navy, Army has not been announced but i reckon it be within next 60days

Yea, and now with the Cadets i suppose the army recruitment is due .. time to start serious training so.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

If you follow Ministers questions you will have seen that the Minister for Defence has confirmed that there will recruitment later this year but that it would from the existing Panel. He also confirmed that when panels are created they have a 2 year life span, so you should be targeting an early 2016 recruitment drive OP

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

For anyone who's interested, recruitment competition for Cadets (all Corps) has begun. Open to graduates and non-graduates alike.

http://www.military.ie/en/careers/current-competitions/

Yea, and now with the Cadets i suppose the army recruitment is due .. time to start serious training so.

Army general service is within the next few weeks lads, loads of lads in my unit are already getting geared up for it and even section commanders are getting wind of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dnk123

Army general service is within the next few weeks lads, loads of lads in my unit are already getting geared up for it and even section commanders are getting wind of it now

Just wondering I've seen you commenting on a few things about the army are recruiting soon but it's nearly may now and still no word?

Have you gone back and asked the people who told you what's happening?

The people on the panel will be taken on I don't think there will be a competition this year unless people from the panel decide not to join

dnk123 wrote: »
    Just wondering I've seen you commenting on a few things about the army are recruiting soon but it's nearly may now and still no word?

Have you gone back and asked the people who told you what's happening?

The people on the panel will be taken on I don't think there will be a competition this year unless people from the panel decide not to join

Their will be a new panel within the next few weeks, The Navy scraped the old panel and started on a new one which is in progress now. So keep an eye on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dnk123

Their will be a new panel within the next few weeks, The Navy scraped the old panel and started on a new one which is in progress now. So keep an eye on the website

I'm not too sure if the army will start a new panel as the minister for defence commented that recruitment will continue this year but will be from last years panel and will continue to do so untill the panel is exhausted?

I've no clue what will happen just going by what I read on another forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

You're Dreaming!!

Advertisement