Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dnk123

"As the Permanent Defence Force is currently below the agreed stabilised strength of 9,500, it is intended that targeted recruitment will continue in 2015, from the recruitment panels formed from the current General Service recruitment competition, launched in March 2014. It is planned that these panels will remain in place until they are exhausted. It is too early to say when this recruitment will commence, as this is dependent on the operational requirements of the Defence Forces and the budget allocation for Defence. An additional Naval Service recruitment campaign is under way for 2015."

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

SIRREX wrote: »
    You're Dreaming!!

Not really i had my time, Their was enough numbers for another 2 Platoons for possible Navy recruits and they went along and created whole new panel that started around the 22nd of this month with Fitness and a application closing on the 25th of last month. I do feel sorry for those that passed the Army fitness and medical and interview to make the panel but get ready to do it all again and soon within the next two three months

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Krisd2014

Not really i had my time, Their was enough numbers for another 2 Platoons for possible Navy recruits and they went along and created whole new panel that started around the 22nd of this month with Fitness and a application closing on the 25th of last month. I do feel sorry for those that passed the Army fitness and medical and interview to make the panel but get ready to do it all again and soon within the next two three months

If they were stopping the panel you think we'd be told instead of waiting until we see a new compitition open. I seen on another thread that someone got their email this week and has a medical in 2 weeks so i really don't see a new compitition opening tbh

Krisd2014 wrote: »
    If they were stopping the panel you think we'd be told instead of waiting until we see a new compitition open. I seen on another thread that someone got their email this week and has a medical in 2 weeks so i really don't see a new compitition opening tbh

The Military reserves the rights to tell you noting. From experience/Conversations i told my opinion the Navy recent actions backs this up and personally i feel a new panel will be established by August and that will deal with possible 200 recruits 40 mite be taken from last year if lucky 160 numbers could be less or abit more will be number of places that will do for this year and next

The Military reserves the rights to tell you noting. From experience/Conversations i told my opinion the Navy recent actions backs this up and personally i feel a new panel will be established by August and that will deal with possible 200 recruits 40 mite be taken from last year if lucky 160 numbers could be less or abit more will be number of places that will do for this year and next

I don't think they will start up a whole new competition as the mister for defence has said that recruitment will continue this year but will be people from the panel ?

• Advertisement

Was talking to a lad today just asked him would the army be recruiting this year he said no but there taking people in around August he said they will be the lads who have already done the medical and all that from last year if that's help to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

"Apparently"

They are looking to take in up to 200 from the current panel by the end of the year.

They hope to run a new competition in July but those people won't be in training this year I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ben1994

Since theres a new batch of us being recruited has anyone thats just passed out or been in a while got any advice for us?

Do what you are told, open your mind, help others out, put the effort in, remember that everything you are being told to do is for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Train as hard as you can beforehand to be physically ready. If you're thinking in terms of the entry tests, it's a big step up and if you're not well fit, you're going to be susceptible to injuries. Soak up everything that comes at you. There's a huge amount of new information and the like, but when you get a chance to step back you see how everything fits together. Get stuck in with everyone else. You're there long enough for everyone to see what you're made of, and everyone knows the bluffers they trained with. The staff will see it too, whether you're out of sight or not. Buy into it all as well. There's no way you can understand it all when it's happening to you, but if you go with it rather than struggling, it'll all become clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ben1994

Train as hard as you can beforehand to be physically ready. If you're thinking in terms of the entry tests, it's a big step up and if you're not well fit, you're going to be susceptible to injuries. Soak up everything that comes at you. There's a huge amount of new information and the like, but when you get a chance to step back you see how everything fits together. Get stuck in with everyone else. You're there long enough for everyone to see what you're made of, and everyone knows the bluffers they trained with. The staff will see it too, whether you're out of sight or not. Buy into it all as well. There's no way you can understand it all when it's happening to you, but if you go with it rather than struggling, it'll all become clear.

Cheers any specific type of training we should focus on or anything?

Running, core and upper body. You're going to be straight into the army's annual fitness testing program, rather than the entry test, so be ready to meet the challenge. Do as many press ups and sit ups as you can in a minute, and run further and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

If you were in the RDF dont boast to the instructors that you know everything about the Steyr.

Instructors hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 WicMan

Well lads you were dead right - "...General Service Recruitment for the Army is expected to be announced in the coming weeks..." hidden in the latest Facebook post about Womens uniforms. Guess a 2015 competition is on!

You're Dreaming!!
    This week in 1980, in McKee Barracks, Dublin, the first female uniforms were revealed to attending media, with civilian female models chosen to illustrate the outfits, as the only women in the Defence Forces at the time, were Cadets still in training.
    www.rte.ie/…/0…/706984-uniforms-for-new-womens-army-service/
    Thankfully the Defence Forces, as indeed Irish society, has progressed significantly since then, with females now accounting for almost 7% of the overall Defence Forces membership, with women qualified as Unit Commanders, Sergeant Majors, Pilots, Ship's Captains, Bomb Disposal Officers, Sniper Instructors, Medics, and able to serve in all frontline Corps both on domestic and overseas deployments.
    General Service Recruitment for the Army is expected to be announced in the coming weeks, we ask all women to keep an eye on www.Military.ie and Defence Forces Social Media platforms for further details. ‪#‎PlayYourPart‬ ‪#‎DefendProtectSupport‬

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

mikeym wrote: »
    If you were in the RDF dont boast to the instructors that you know everything about the Steyr.

Instructors hate that.

Yup.

Remember, there are three ways to do EVERYTHING.

1. The RIGHT way.

2. The WRONG way.

3. The ARMY way.

Suck it up and do not be any kind of a smartass. Remember that butts are just the right shape for a good kickin' - just don't give cause for it to be YOUR butt, and make sure it's not your buddies' either. There is no 'I' in 'TEAM'.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Fair enough! I suppose after all these years I should have known better than to listen to anything the Minister says in the Dail.

Fair enough! I suppose after all these years I should have known better than to listen to anything the Minister says in the Dail.

They're still taking people from the panel though, so you're not completely wrong.

The exact number is unclear but i would think about 160 to 200 which is about 5 training platoons to start winter training or early next year.

I had my time within the defence forces and i turn 25 in August but dam do i miss it, I may apply and see what happens. But original plan was to wait till im 26 and head up north to Enniskillien.

I did a medical yesterday, and they said we'll be starting in September depending on blood results. So it'll probably be next year for the ones who pass the new compitition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Here's mine.

Never make a Monday morning decision!.. (whats that?).. A 'Monday morning decision is after you've had the sh*ttiest week ever, you're at your lowest. You've had a rare weekend off and partied with your mates and the thoughts of going back to training is filling you full of dread ~ THAT's when a 'Monday morning decision' kicks in.

When you get low and think of leaving the platoon tell yourself 'f*ck it, I'm not doing it today, I'll do it tomorrow' and you'll stick it out to the end.

Your platoon Sgt is God, and your section commander will be the greatest prick until the last week of training, all the bullsh*t stops and your passing out day is YOUR day, and one of your proudest ever.

Enjoy training, its a bitch but its not forever.

Never make a Monday morning decision!.. (whats that?).. A 'Monday morning decision is after you've had the sh*ttiest week ever, you're at your lowest. You've had a rare weekend off and partied with your mates and the thoughts of going back to training is filling you full of dread ~ THAT's when a 'Monday morning decision' kicks in.

Huh?

A weekend off in basic recruit training? :O

What kind of army is that?

The first time WE had off was AFTER the passing-out parade, when you were deemed fit to be seen in public.

Maybe.

Still, tfor me that was a long time ago, and I dare say you even have glass in the windows of your barracks nowadays, maybe even hot water in the faucet, too.

tac in Port Orford, OR, watching the boats coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Ben1994 wrote: »
    Since theres a new batch of us being recruited has anyone thats just passed out or been in a while got any advice for us?

Ditch your girlfriend, if you have one. She won't get it and never will.

Take pictures.

Get on the beers with the lads as often as possible.

Enjoy your down time. Don't spend it 'resting or recovering' for the next part of whatever course or training you are on. Maximise your free time, surf/hike/travel/gig/party. That's my biggest regret, and I only realised after 3 years serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

We've been told to bring the following to training:

Neat Civilian Clothing.
    Jacket/ Anorak/ Warm Clothing and gloves.
    Rain Gear.
    Toiletry Items / Towels / Flip-flops.
    Sports Gear: Tracksuit, Running Shoes, Shorts/Tops/Socks, Swim Suit.
    Notebook, Pens, Pencils.
    4 x Passport Photos (without headdress).
    2 x Small Padlocks. Black Boot Polish & Brushes
    4 x Hangers.

Is there anything else we should bring, and how much clothing should we bring?

Heel blister treatment.

Lots of it.

tac

Packoman wrote: »
    We've been told to bring the following to training:

Neat Civilian Clothing.
    Jacket/ Anorak/ Warm Clothing and gloves.
    Rain Gear.
    Toiletry Items / Towels / Flip-flops.
    Sports Gear: Tracksuit, Running Shoes, Shorts/Tops/Socks, Swim Suit.
    Notebook, Pens, Pencils.
    4 x Passport Photos (without headdress).
    2 x Small Padlocks. Black Boot Polish & Brushes
    4 x Hangers.

Is there anything else we should bring, and how much clothing should we bring?

Bring enough clothes / wash gear to last 2 weeks. Don't go crazy buying bits and bobs in case you find that you don't like it and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

kiwi.jpg

The best polish for your boots.

Invest in plenty of the above. Wouldn't worry about anything else much. Good iron would help though if you have one handy. And make sure you can look after your feet. Wouldn't turn up with it on day one, but whenever you get a chance to get out, try get a foam roller for your room of however many lads. Only a few quid each gets one and they'll save you plenty of pain.

Last few bits: Don't go sick unless you genuinely can not do anything. Do whatever you're able for, and push yourself hard to stretch that line. It counts for a lot to be seen to show willing. Give people a hand where you're strong, and ask for help where you're not. The one hand washes the other, and nobody is going to think less of you for wanting a hand once in a while once you're doing your bit otherwise. Remember, in the end it's a game. Do your bit, and understand your bit, and work hard, but when things get tough and you're miserable, remember that it's a conditioning process. It will end. Things will get better. Maybe briefly, but you'll get a laugh in eventually. And enjoy as much of it as you can. There's nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Thanks for the tips!

Another question, neat civilian clothing, is that just jeans and t-shirt or full suit?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

No need for the suit. Jeans, t shirts, shirt, jumper, jacket, hoodie.

Just no "fashionably" ripped, creased or dirty clothes. Best not to have something with big writing on it either....or illuminous stuff. Or shorts and sandals.

Just normal clothes that don't make you look like tramp.

Advertisement