Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamesmackeyy

Well lads, I've applied for the PDF and I've my fitness test on 7th step, I'm confident about it but im not to sure about the phsycometric test. Anyone have an idea about that or done it before. What kind of questions will be asked and what can I do to prepare for it? Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If you're thinking of a DF career, watch the two part programme following Recruits in training on RTE 1 Monday & Tuesday nights after the news. It'll be edited for brevity and probably PC-sanitized for public viewing, lol. Fitness is good, better if it includes the ability to stay the course regardless of what comes at you.

On a side point about DF training, I was in the Curragh today & saw the MP's have a Probationers course just started a few days ago. As it includes a standard Inf NCO's course along with the MP module, it's planned finish is in March 2016. I kind'a pity them with the winter coming up and a doubtless visit (or two) to the Glen of Imaal for prolonged in-the-field training.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kaiserdave

Well lads, I've applied for the PDF and I've my fitness test on 7th step, I'm confident about it but im not to sure about the phsycometric test. Anyone have an idea about that or done it before. What kind of questions will be asked and what can I do to prepare for it? Sound

Hi there, nothing to worry really. I'd head down to your local library and get a few books on psychometric testing, numeric and verbal. The numeric test looks at your ability to calculate under pressure, and the verbal, your ability to understand and follow instruction. There are plenty of examples online, but simple division and multiplication should see you through, as should reading passages and answering true or false questions. You'll be provided with a link to an online sample test anyway, so don't panic. Best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

If you have mild astma, would you be allowed into the Army??

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

After the 17 weeks of training can you choose what branch you go into (MP, Artillery etc) or does everyone have to start of in the infantry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

danube wrote: »
    After the 17 weeks of training can you choose what branch you go into (MP, Artillery etc) or does everyone have to start of in the infantry?

Recruits are interviewed and they are asked to choose a unit they would like to go to. Postings are based on each units requirements though, so if a recruit ends up in the unit he requested its usually only because he would have been sent there anyway!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoshC0011

skaface wrote: »
    Hi
    My son has been called to do the fitness test in early September.. Problem is we've just realised
    his passport is out of date since last month..
    Will the Army accept this on the day as he hasn't
    a driver's licence yet, and I don't think the passport would be back in time now if we send
    it off to update it..

I'm also going to the Fitness Test on the 7th but I don't have a passport. I was hoping that my Garda Age Card ID would be fine. Can someone please confirm if this is the case?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bustin

I've got recruit training in 2 weeks time and was wondering if it's a good career choice? I was also wondering if anyone could tell me the promotions a recruit can get.. Can a recruit climb the ladder of the ranks and some day end up being a lieutenant or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

just worry about passing your fitness test first and getting selected into a recruit platoon after your interview. Vist the defence forces web page for any info your looking for

JoshC0011 wrote: »
    I'm also going to the Fitness Test on the 7th but I don't have a passport. I was hoping that my Garda Age Card ID would be fine. Can someone please confirm if this is the case?

Thanks in advance
    Its says in the email that the "Garda Age card is not accepted".

• Advertisement

I'll pass the fitness test at ease, I just wanted to know if it is the right thing to do As I don't know how the recruit ranks and system works... I don't always just want to be a recruit.. Basically all I'm asking is , is there a good career in the recruits?

Its says in the email that the "Garda Age card is not accepted".

This is the direct quote from my email; "Photographic ID - Passport, Driving License or National ID card only. Also a copy of the ID."

I had thought that the National ID card was the Garda Age Card. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bustin wrote: »
    I'll pass the fitness test at ease, I just wanted to know if it is the right thing to do As I don't know how the recruit ranks and system works... I don't always just want to be a recruit.. Basically all I'm asking is , is there a good career in the recruits?

Lol, I can't wait till a PT NCO gets a hold of you.

I cannot believe you haven't got off your ar5e and done some basic research into this yourself. Like even a google FFS. Why did you apply with little or no knowledge? Why are you wasting your time, the DF's time and perhaps wasting an opportunity for someone else if you are bothered so little?

A recruit is what the name suggests, you have just been recruited, you will then be tested for over 4 months to see if you have the mental attitude and physical attributes.

If you qualify you become a 2-star Private, Trooper etc. You are in the enlisted ranks, you do not become a Lieutenant, that happens to Officer Cadets. There are some special cases where enlisted personnel can convert to Officer training, but you are so far off that in terms of basic initiative, I'd say you may forget it.

The first thing you should do, in case you missed it, is watch the RTE documentary 'Recruits' from the last two nights. That will show you what happens to duffers with a bad attitude, and also what happens to people who "think" they are fit before now. Pay special attention to the recruit who plays club and inter-county Camogie at a very high level, but admits the Army is a "whole new level" of fitness.

I'd say good luck with it, but frankly I hope you spare the DF and go become a Brigadier General on a console game.

Edit: And by the way, it's spelt D.E.F.E.N.C.E.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

If you have mild Astma can you still join the Army??

I've got recruit training in 2 weeks time and was wondering if it's a good career choice? I was also wondering if anyone could tell me the promotions a recruit can get.. Can a recruit climb the ladder of the ranks and some day end up being a lieutenant or anything like that?
    I sat down with a high ranking officer a few months ago and he told me that there is a "high level of dissatisfaction" within the PDF. The reason they recruit every year is because of the high turnover. But some do enjoy their job.
    For general service you can get promoted to corporal, Sergent etc. There is nothing stopping an NCO applying to the cadet competition.

Hi all,

Would really appreciate it if someone could confirm whether or the Garda age card is accepted as I have my Fitness Test on Monday.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Hi all,

Would really appreciate it if someone could confirm whether or the Garda age card is accepted as I have my Fitness Test on Monday.

Thanks

No it wouldn't suffice for my son last year, his passport was out of date too. He was told to bring the old passport as proof of identity as it was a form of government document. You could always bring both with you.
    Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I sat down with a high ranking officer a few months ago and he told me that there is a "high level of dissatisfaction" within the PDF. The reason they recruit every year is because of the high turnover. But some do enjoy their job.
    For general service you can get promoted to corporal, Sergent etc. There is nothing stopping an NCO applying to the cadet competition.

A high level of dissatisfaction? In what regard? How high ranking was this officer?

The reason why the DF recruits every year is certainly down to people going on their discharge voluntarily or upon the end of a contract.

Not solely to a "level of dissatisfaction" as alluded to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll pass the fitness test at ease

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA... The fatal last words of many a hopeful candidate.

Pass the test first.

Kirm2 wrote: »
    No it wouldn't suffice for my son last year, his passport was out of date too. He was told to bring the old passport as proof of identity as it was a form of government document. You could always bring both with you.
    Hope that helps.

An out of date passport is accepted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

An out of date passport is accepted?

It's just for proof of identity and yes that was the instruction my son was given when he rang the recruitment office - there was no questions about it on the day.

Anyone got any idea of the pay a recruit gets? On the military.ie site all i see is recruit seamen and that's around €321. What's it for an enlisted recruit?

Anyone got any idea of the pay a recruit gets? On the military.ie site all i see is recruit seamen and that's around €321. What's it for an enlisted recruit?

According to military.ie...

A Recruit (Army, Air Corps, Naval Service) will be on €351.61

And possibly get Military Service Allowance of €37.41...not 100% sure if a Recruit gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They don't. You can expect take home pay of around €270 after taxes and deductions.

They don't. You can expect take home pay of around €270 after taxes and deductions.

€270?!

Rich bastards! Nothing like a week in the Glen to earn that €270 :)

You'll see them taking off socks and getting stuck in with the old digital calculator trying to work out what they're earning an hour to decide how miserable they are.

Where did you find this out? I've been looking online for quiet awhile and just can't find an exact amount.

Where did you find this out?

Because that's what I got on those wages.

Because that's what I got on those wages.

Was it worth joining? I've got fitness test next week. I know I want to join but it's just the pay that's the downside

• Advertisement

That's too personal really. I can't answer that for you. You'd have to decide for yourself whether it's what you want and whether you can live on the money after. It's a bit irrelevant during training since you'll be living in barracks and won't have time to think about spending any money but afterwards the money isn't much better. A private who's living in for the first few years will be taking home about three hundred a week. It won't go up much either. Joys of the new contract.

Advertisement