Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Bustin wrote: »
    Was it worth joining? I've got fitness test next week. I know I want to join but it's just the pay that's the downside

this is the upside ;)

article-2009603-0CC9AFA300000578-507_634x471.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bustin

That's too personal really. I can't answer that for you. You'd have to decide for yourself whether it's what you want and whether you can live on the money after. It's a bit irrelevant during training since you'll be living in barracks and won't have time to think about spending any money but afterwards the money isn't much better. A private who's living in for the first few years will be taking home about three hundred a week. It won't go up much either. Joys of the new contract.

Yeah I get it you mean you don't have to answer. See I'm not sure really 😂, I'm 18 and basically at a crossroad, i can do an apprenticeship in welding and be set up in the future but I know I'd regret not doing the army. But if I do the army for say 5 years and decide to leave I'm not sure what I could do, ... Is the pay much better when you deploy overseas anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I'm 26 and been wondering is it too late to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Yeah I get it you mean you don't have to answer. See I'm not sure really 😂, I'm 18 and basically at a crossroad, i can do an apprenticeship in welding and be set up in the future but I know I'd regret not doing the army. But if I do the army for say 5 years and decide to leave I'm not sure what I could do, ... Is the pay much better when you deploy overseas anyway?

Do your apprenticeship first. You can still join the army when your finished it. In fact, you would have a better shot at getting in if you already have a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Depends what you graduate from. Many fields would be multiples of that figure. The pay is very tough, especially if you're in Dublin. You make more overseas but at the moment with low numbers deploying it's tough to get there in the first place. Definitely do not go for the army thinking you're going to make any real money out of it. It's about more than that if you really want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 agnes.k

Hi everyone im new here so bear with me.
    I've appled for the permanent defence forces and im due for te fitness test next week.
    I just want to know when im doing the sit ups will i be albe to support my feet under something or will there be someone to hold then or do i need to do the sit ups on my own ?

agnes.k wrote: »
    Hi everyone im new here so bear with me.
    I've appled for the permanent defence forces and im due for te fitness test next week.
    I just want to know when im doing the sit ups will i be albe to support my feet under something or will there be someone to hold then or do i need to do the sit ups on my own ?

Second half of this video shows how to do an 'army' sit-up. Its unsupported but you dont actually need someone/something to anchor you when you do them this way. You can 'hook' your heels onto the edge of the mat though, I think. But again you wont need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sean2591

They don't. You can expect take home pay of around €270 after taxes and deductions.

So that's about €80 in deductions. Is that all tax or what else do you men by deductions?

What is the difference between being a 1/2/3 star Private as the pay and allowance seem to be different?

Good luck to everybody doing the fitness tests this week. Hope we all make it through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

sean2591 wrote: »
    So that's about €80 in deductions. Is that all tax or what else do you men by deductions?

What is the difference between being a 1/2/3 star Private as the pay and allowance seem to be different?

Good luck to everybody doing the fitness tests this week. Hope we all make it through

Rank wise, they are advances in Grade.

Grade 1 (Recruit) is like having an "L" plate on a car.

Private 2* is like having an "N" plate on a car.

Private 3* is, you have completed all the basics and the training wheels are off.

Next up is:
    Corporal
    Sergeant
    Company QuarterMaster Sergeant,
    Company Sergeant,
    Battalion QuarterMaster Sergeant
    Battalion Sergeant Major.

That's as far as an Enlisted rank will go. Unless they get the opportunity to do a Potential Officers Course, then it's officer ranks.

Standard deductions are:
    Tax, PRSI, pension, pension related deduction, USC, welfare, contribution to a "widows and orphans" fund. There are others on top of that too.

Also, in terms of time at each level, when you enlist, you're a Recruit. If you pass out after four months you're a two star private. After another three months you're a three star and sent to your unit. As SFP says, training wheels come off and you start working. As for deductions, I have so many I don't know where they're all going really. Multiple pension deductions, basic PAYE, PRSI, USC, various contributory funds. You'll end up paying them all too. As I say, there's no money in it, just have to find another reason to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Re. pay as recruit. My son sent me pics of his payslips. They didn't get paid until week 3 and he paid emergency tax as the tax credits weren't allocated in time. This week (week 4) he got a good chunk of tax back so that's not an accurate one. He doesn't pay PRSI as the weekly earnings are less than €352. From what I can see the deductions are rations (€40.25), quarters (€3.38), pension €11.60) and welfare (30c). The amount of USC and income tax paid depends on whether a person was working before starting as a recruit as they are cumulative.

It's not a lot to exist on but most of the lads are saving a large part of their pay as they don't get an opportunity to spend it!

Hope it's ok to post these figures. Please delete if it's not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Kcera @ You have missed this terms recruitment ended on the 04/09, It will be posted on the website under current Competition. Next Recruitment wont be on-till 2016 around June.

Dodderangle @ You are too old for the Army but you have till 27 for the Naval Services or Cadets it you meet the cadets requirement. The Naval services had a recruitment about 2months before the Army so sadly your looking at 2016 unless naval numbers drop and they seek a platoon for training before 2016.

The British Army is also an option and a great career and is constantly running recruitment campaigns and trains up to 5000 at a time.

Look into the Irish Guards and the Royal Irish!!. British Navy and Air Forces are an option also and the age limit is 33 for general services

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

Kcera @ You have missed this terms recruitment ended on the 04/09, It will be posted on the website under current Competition. Next Recruitment wont be on-till 2016 around June.

Dodderangle @ You are too old for the Army but you have till 27 for the Naval Services or Cadets it you meet the cadets requirement. The Naval services had a recruitment about 2months before the Army so sadly your looking at 2016 unless naval numbers drop and they seek a platoon for training before 2016.

The British Army is also an option and a great career and is constantly running recruitment campaigns and trains up to 5000 at a time.

Look into the Irish Guards and the Royal Irish!!. British Navy and Air Forces are an option also and the age limit is 33 for general services

Did the fitness test,Was very easy,It should be harder!

kcera wrote: »
    Did the fitness test,Was very easy,It should be harder!

You would be surprised!! Plus within a month of Army Training life you will witness a great increase of your own fitness levels and will spend many a night asking yourself what the hell did i get into too!! That is if you pass the next stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 agnes.k

Has any one gone to the recruit fitness test yet ? im in tomorrow and im terrified would like to know whats it like.

It's twenty press ups, twenty sit ups and a mile and a half run. It's not terrifying. The standard from day one in training will be much, much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

agnes.k wrote: »
    Has any one gone to the recruit fitness test yet ? im in tomorrow and im terrified would like to know whats it like.
    If your worried about a running just 1.5 miles in 11.40 minutes then you might want to reconsider your option. Anyone that struggles with that won't last the full 17 weeks of training.

danube wrote: »
    If your worried about a running just 1.5 miles in 11.40 minutes then you might want to reconsider your option. Anyone that struggles with that won't last the full 17 weeks of training.

I think he just means that he/she is worry about the whole idea about what to expect more then a run.

Noting to be nervous about keep your head up do what your told and just keep calm

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WhtsMyyLifee

Did fitness yesterday, everything was fine run IMO was though enough although I did in under 11:00, wondering what the online psychometric test consists of?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Just on an aside re press-ups. Looked at the recruit videos again, am wondering if the female press-up is still hands and knees, rather than hands and toes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chalkyw91

aloyisious wrote:
    Just on an aside re press-ups. Looked at the recruit videos again, am wondering if the female press-up is still hands and knees, rather than hands and toes?

Did my fitness today in cork. You have the option you can do hands and knees or hand s toes if ya want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

An advice item from the Irish Defence Forces F/B page: (people in Recruit Trng might appreciate it when they are in water). The exercise in the images below is a Recce Trng Cse but the water effect is the point I'm making: cold water is cold water, period.

Some people panic when the ice water hits them. It is not surprising, in fact it's perfectly natural. The initial shock causes blood in our extremities to rush to the vital organs, protecting them from the onslaught, causing tightness of breathe and a slight tremor in one's limbs. For members of the military, such biological reactions cannot be succumbed to. There is work to be done and there is no time for complacency. Psychological endurance must over-ride one's own frailties. There is a task at hand and comfort is the last priority. To the forefront is the mission, your colleagues, then you.

Recce by it's definition requires practitioners to be able to execute their mission in all terrains, weathers, by day or by night and in all operations of war. This week the Basic Reconnaissance ('Recce') Course run by 6th Infantry Battalion, Custume Barracks, Athlone, brought students to Banagher, Co Offaly, where instructor Sergeant David Ryan taught students fundamental skills so they may maintain vigilance when faced with such a vast array of challenges. Drills practiced in this controlled environment, will be tested fully on exercise, including the much vaunted water insertion test, that forms a key hurdle in all recce courses ....... response to a question from reader: Irish Defence Forces The backpacks have a degree of buoyancy, it's one of the key lessons in this training. Furthermore, Recce detachments are taught to cross a large body of water by tying their packs together, thus using them as a makeshift raft. With a bit of teamwork and innovation, such obstacles can be overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoshC0011

Passed the fitness test in the 7th and I was just wondering about how long it usually takes to hear back regarding the psychometric tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

JoshC0011 wrote: »
    Passed the fitness test in the 7th and I was just wondering about how long it usually takes to hear back regarding the psychometric tests?

About two weeks from now. The interviews will be in October and the medicals in late November/ early December. Induction won't begin until late February at the earliest contrary to media reports of the first platoon staring in December.

Anyone got there fitness the 24th September in youghal at 08:00 ??

Anyone got there fitness the 24th September in youghal at 08:00 ??

Youghal?? Are you sure??

There is no DF barracks in Youghal where they conduct fitness tests.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Youghal?? Are you sure??

There is no DF barracks in Youghal where they conduct fitness tests.

Yean I got an email to go to old Youghal in cork to do the fitness test.. Does anyone know if an out of date passport will work as ID, it's not cancelled .. I lost my drivers license the other day??

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chalkyw91

Bustin wrote:
    Yean I got an email to go to old Youghal in cork to do the fitness test.. Does anyone know if an out of date passport will work as ID, it's not cancelled .. I lost my drivers license the other day??

Yeah expired passport will work. Did for me anyways

Ah ok, I'm pretty sure now you meant 'Old Youghal Road'. Big difference between that and Youghal (which you said in in your first post). Just be mindful that the 'Old Youghal Road' is not in (or anywhere near Youghal itself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

hi, does anyone know the number of applicants for this??

Advertisement