Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Gooleybag wrote: »
    Head down the night before and stay in a mares or B&B chances of tem changing your time to suit you are slim to none

they changed it t 2 o clock for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Got an email saying am doing the fitness test on Monday, but have to get a medical test done aswell beforehand to prove I'm pysically fit, what all does this involve and do they check for drugs aswell?, cuz I took a Xanax tablet about a week ago when out in the pub with mates, obviously shouldn't have but I did :(

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Cathal_91 wrote: »
    Got an email saying am doing the fitness test on Monday, but have to get a medical test done aswell beforehand to prove I'm pysically fit, what all does this involve and do they check for drugs aswell?, cuz I took a Xanax tablet about a week ago when out in the pub with mates, obviously shouldn't have but I did :(

I doubt it*... I'd say it's just one of those things where they might get you to do a few push-ups, check your heart, breathing and all that, make you try touch your toes and more stuff like that. I wouldn't say there will be a drug test since to get proper results they'd have to send it to a lad.

Either way Xanax wont stay in your system for more than a few days and even so if it was a week ago there will be very little left in your system anyway!

*Just to clarify, I don't actually know.

Well I've to go to the doctor 2moro to get him to sign a certificate to say im fit and then bring that with me on Monday to Dublin for the fitness test. But will the urine test 2moro check for illegal drugs, I assume if there is a urine test that what it checks for or I'm I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

i dont know but iv my doc thing tommorrow and its 90 euro :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wills21

swimfast wrote: »
    i dont know but iv my doc thing tommorrow and its 90 euro :O

€90?? :eek:

I rang the doc earlier and got an appointment for tomorrow, €50 :D

I doubt they will do a urine test in your doctor, I'd say it's just a precaution for the PDF in case you have a heart attack during the fitness test.

Well if anyone whos already done the medical could confirm if a urine test is involved, and if it tests for drugs, that would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit worried about failing it, as I thought the medical wasn't til August.

Well if anyone whos already done the medical could confirm if a urine test is involved, and if it tests for drugs, that would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit worried about failing it, as I thought the medical wasn't til August.

Dude, its not a medical test

This is what it says it the email I got
    Checklist of items to bring on the day:

1. Printed copy of this email.
    2. Photographic ID - Passport, Driving License, Garda ID or National ID Card only.
    3. Attached letter (Medical Certificate) to be signed by your doctor stating that you are fit to undergo fitness
    Test.
    4. Attached Parental Consent Form – signed by a Parent/Guardian if you are under 18 years of age.
    5. Photocopy of your Birth Certificate
    6. Suitable sports clothing and footwear, bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spartacus 109

Both my fitness tests are next week. Tuesday Naval Service, Thursday Army. Went into my GP today and I can confirm there is a urine test however it was tested on the spot.. For what I don't know.. Also I only paid €70 not €90.. Anybody from Waterford going for the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 potenialcandid

Lads, ye dont need to pay the doctor all you need is them to stamp it and sign it! takes 5 minutes

• Advertisement

Wills21 wrote: »
    Dude, its not a medical test

This is what it says it the email I got

So what is it then? What does it involve? Lol
    I thought it was a medical, with a urine test and even when they grab your balls and make you cough haha

So it's not a medical test then? What is it? Last time I had a medical for boxing it involved, lung test, urine test, blood pressure I think, and few other things I can't remember the rest.

this isnt a medical test its just the doctor signing off basically to say you've no heart condition etc

you'll have an actual Medical Exam with all the tests in the final stage if you make it

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

cathal 91 pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shocko1993

this isnt a medical test its just the doctor signing off basically to say you've no heart condition etc

you'll have an actual Medical Exam with all the tests in the final stage if you make it

Lads hes right. Its only to make sure you have no major heart problems. The medical you's are doing is the one they'll do in August.

Shocko1993 wrote: »
    Lads hes right. Its only to make sure you have no major heart problems. The medical you's are doing is the one they'll do in August.

Then what's Spartacus 109 going on about...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spartacus 109

Then what's Spartacus 109 going on about...

Just sharing my experience... Each GP id imagine does it there own way, I mean at the end of the day its not a military standard medical, More of a run of the mill check up.. As one of the other lads said its mainly to check out your heart before the test...

I went to my GP this morning, she checked my blood pressure and my pulse, then listened to my lungs and heart before signing the form.

Cost me €50.

Cost me 50 euro aswell, done all the stuff listed above and tested my reflexes and weight height, eyesight, Abdominal pain, and a urine test, 50 euro was a rip off considering it only took 5-10 mins.

A friend doing it only cost him 20 euro, but my doctor said she wouldn't sign it without doing a full medical and charging me 50 euro haha

Cost me 50 euro aswell, done all the stuff listed above and tested my reflexes and weight height, eyesight, Abdominal pain, and a urine test, 50 euro was a rip off considering it only took 5-10 mins.

A friend doing it only cost him 20 euro, but my doctor said she wouldn't sign it without doing a full medical and charging me 50 euro haha

Actually she did check my weight and height too, forgot about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Venema

50 euro even with a medical card i guess?

• Advertisement

Venema wrote: »
    50 euro even with a medical card i guess?

Not sure but I doubt a medical card would cover that

Shocko1993 wrote: »

** She, thanks :P

Just got the medical done. Was pretty standard. Just took a urine sample to check for diabetes and listened to my heart and lungs.

The best part was it was free! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

Few failures so far in Cathal Brugha Barracks.

Practice your sit-ups !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Burdock wrote: »

Seriously? The 20 crunches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

Donny5 wrote: »

It's all about technique, you could do a thousand but if the technique is wrong they won't count

A few people haven't come in for the test too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

It's all about technique, you could do a thousand but if the technique is wrong they won't count

Yeah, I've done plenty of those tests, but 20 crunches should be a doddle to anyone looking to join a ****ing army.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shocko1993

Donny5 wrote: »

Some people are complete f****** timewasters!

• Advertisement

Advertisement