Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Shocko1993 wrote: »
    Some people are complete f****** timewasters!

Hang on a minute.

Who are you? You're not a serving member of the DF, nor have you even attempted the Fitness Test required to progress further in the General Enlistment competition yet. You're in no position to label any of the people who attempted the test today as "****ing timewasters" or anything else.

People, you'd do well to heed the advice given that you should be sure to practice the DF situps. Seriously, that particular kind of situp is one that a lot of people seem to struggle with for some reason. It's handier for taller people and harder for shorter people. I know of lads in my Recce Platoon who if you throw 100lbs and upwards on their back will carry it like a pack mule, have completed marathons but struggle with those situps. They can catch you off guard if you're not careful.

Fair play to those people who turned up for the Fitness Test today and unlucky on failing. At the very least, you gave it a bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Poccington wrote: »
    At the very least, you gave it a bash.

I don't buy that. It's not a secret test. All the info is there for you. You know what you need to do, and how many. If you don't practice before rocking up for the fitness test, then you are a time-waster.

Another thing.

If you're attempting to join the DF and know full well you're in the middle of the recruiting process, being in a position where you're worried about passing a drugs test indicates one of two things. One, is that you actual lack a completely functioning brain. Or two, that you're not completely serious about the competition you've entered and nowhere near serious about a career in the DF.

Seriously, you're trying to join an organisation where random drug testing happens quite a bit. An organisation where a day may come where you'll be expected to fight an enemy and fight alongside your mates. An organisation where men have died serving their country. Saying "I shouldn't have done it but I did" and a sad face doesn't cut it.

Everyone knows there's eejits in the DF or who have been in the DF who thinks it's a cushy number, handy, we'll never go to war, blah blah blah. Don't become one of them, you're in a serious job where being a flute could potentially have serious consequences.

Either cop on or else quit the competition now and either save the DF the hassle of having to **** you out, or your future mates of having to give you a slap.

Donny5 wrote: »
    I don't buy that. It's not a secret test. All the info is there for you. You know what you need to do, and how many. If you don't practice before rocking up for the fitness test, then you are a time-waster.

Who's to say they didn't practice?

Any number of things can happen on the day. Plus, they may well have thought they were doing it properly while practicing but when an Army PTI is counting their reps, it's upto what the PTI sees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Another thing.

If you're attempting to join the DF and know full well you're in the middle of the recruiting process, being in a position where you're worried about passing a drugs test indicates one of two things. One, is that you actual lack a completely functioning brain. Or two, that you're not completely serious about the competition you've entered and nowhere near serious about a career in the DF.

Seriously, you're trying to join an organisation where random drug testing happens quite a bit. An organisation where a day may come where you'll be expected to fight an enemy and fight alongside your mates. An organisation where men have died serving their country. Saying "I shouldn't have done it but I did" and a sad face doesn't cut it.

Everyone knows there's eejits in the DF or who have been in the DF who thinks it's a cushy number, handy, we'll never go to war, blah blah blah. Don't become one of them, you're in a serious job where being a flute could potentially have serious consequences.

Either cop on or else quit the competition now and either save the DF the hassle of having to **** you out, or your future mates of having to give you a slap.

i like it :) fairplay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Who's to say they didn't practice?

Any number of things can happen on the day. Plus, they may well have thought they were doing it properly while practicing but when an Army PTI is counting their reps, it's upto what the PTI sees.

Still just an excuse, I think. If you want the job, you'll make sure you're ready, and the crunches aren't rocket science.

Still just an excuse, I think. If you want the job, you'll make sure you're ready, and the crunches aren't rocket science.

Not rocket science, but awkward as ****.

I've seen perfectly fit and capable lads struggle with them, so I'm not too quick to pounce on people failing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wills21

You have me worrying about the sit-ups now, I'm not in Cathal Brigha until next tuesday so I have a few days to work on it yet.

P.S. Thanks for the information :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

Didn't think that would start an argument : /

If it makes anyone feel better people failed the run and push-ups too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Massive +1 on this. They are harder than standard sit-ups for sure but get a lot easier with practice, regardless of your height, length of you arms or any other excuse. Anyone failing this very easy and very passable fitness assessment, be it the run, the press-ups or the sit-ups displays very poor preparation and is not the type of person I want standing alongside me.

It is a mystery how anyone would embarrass themselves by even attempting the fitness test without being 100% sure that they had adequately prepared.

Well done to those who recognised a shortfall in their own personal fitness, fixed the problem by preparing properly, and went out there and passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The sit-ups are definitely tricky alright. I found I had to change the angle of my knees in order to not have the feet want to lift off the ground, and they still do a bit, have to focus very hard on generating lift in the core and isolating the thighs. It's getting easier now but it definitely caught me out a lot. Depending on someone's opinion of feet lifting you could get stung badly, because mine definitely seem to make less solid contact as I come up, though they certainly don't actually leave it. I would hope that people are just taking this as a lesson though, and will try again and be better prepared.

I found I had to change the angle of my knees in order to not have the feet want to lift off the ground

Good point. The right bend in the knees is definitely the trick to this type of sit up. Get that right and they become much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

John_D80 wrote: »
    Good point. The right bend in the knees is definitely the trick to this type of sit up. Get that right and they become much easier.

Definitely. I was more familiar with having the feet out further forward (and anchored, which is the major change) but bringing them back towards me until the soles sit flat comfortably stops them wanting to lift.

Haha i know the lad in that video, he'll be getting some slaggin tomorrow :D

Wills21 wrote: »
    You'll start at the bottom of the path to the Army Grounds, where it meets the road. Starting on the track there, you'll run upto the Phoenix Monument, turn around and come roughly halfway back.

Just to check, is this where you mean?

http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Chesterfield+Ave&daddr=Chesterfield+Ave+to:Chesterfield+Ave&hl=en&sll=53.35529,-6.314135&sspn=0.013217,0.042272&geocode=FfYVLgMdY8af_w%3BFYw1LgMdO3uf_w%3BFQglLgMdbqKf_w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=15&z=15

Just so you all know, the 1.5 mile run is in Cathal Brugha barracks, a lot of people not staying on the route and failing because of it

Burdock wrote: »
    Just so you all know, the 1.5 mile run is in Cathal Brugha barracks, a lot of people not staying on the route and failing because of it

How does it work mate? Are people being let go in groups or what?

You'll all be released at start point and off you go. I've seen them doing their tests but haven't been upto the gym to see how it's done so not too sure if it's groups or everyone at once. I'd imagine it'd depend on how many people pass the push ups and sit ups to do the run. There's no narrow roads or anything, so no need to worry about people getting in your way or anything.

Lord knows why they didn't do it in the Phoenix Park, the only thing I can think of is that there's more space in the gym in the Brugha for processing everyone and getting more people through the push ups and sit ups at a time.

The Brugha is a melter to run around.

You'll all be released at start point and off you go. I've seen them doing their tests but haven't been upto the gym to see how it's done so not too sure if it's groups or everyone at once. I'd imagine it'd depend on how many people pass the push ups and sit ups to do the run. There's no narrow roads or anything, so no need to worry about people getting in your way or anything.

Lord knows why they didn't do it in the Phoenix Park, the only thing I can think of is that there's more space in the gym in the Brugha for processing everyone and getting more people through the push ups and sit ups at a time.

Everyone that passes goes at once, I heard they didn't use the park because of transport issues. Not sure if thats the reason or a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Is it on a football pitch or in gym?

One more question..
    what kind of a rest can I expect in between the sit-ups and press ups?
    Press-ups i can manage, but the sit-ups are having an issue with me..
    tis' gonna be tough.. but should manage..

• Advertisement

Is it on a football pitch or in gym?

The push ups and sit ups will be done in the gym. The run is done on road.
    One more question..
    what kind of a rest can I expect in between the sit-ups and press ups?
    Press-ups i can manage, but the sit-ups are having an issue with me..
    tis' gonna be tough.. but should manage..

You'll get a minute or two, assuming they go straight from sit ups into push ups.

You'll get it done.

Why dya say that?

Why dya say that?

It's just boring.

You'll see if you end up training there or based there. It's a boring place to run. Also, constantly running on concrete isn't good for the body.

It's just boring.

You'll see if you end up training there or based there. It's a boring place to run. Also, constantly running on concrete isn't good for the body.

I've been practising on a running track, 6 laps is equal to 1.5miles so I'm well used to boring lol

I've been doing the 1.5 in a field.. uneven ground and such, would i be faster on tarmac?

I've been doing the 1.5 in a field.. uneven ground and such, would i be faster on tarmac?

On the day I think adrenaline and the fact that we will be running alongside eachother will help a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I'd imagine you probably would be, especially if the grass is even a little high.

I haven't done a 1.5 mile run in quite a while. I've been sticking to 3-4 miles and a few hill sprint sessions. I'll do a hill session tomorrow, then a 1.5 mile best effort on Monday, then leave it at that before the test.

I wish ye's all the best of luck lads. Hope to be serving with ya's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I'd advise anyone training on grass to continue training on grass. Too easy to pick up an injury running on hard tarmac and mess up your chances. You can run your legs off on tarmac on the day, when it matters.

• Advertisement

I wish ye's all the best of luck lads. Hope to be serving with ya's..

You too mate

Advertisement