Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jamesmack19

No nothing lad you?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tufty_1

Not a whisper! Anyone who passed the interview from Brugha/Collins barracks know the date for there medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

No date yet for curragh but was told early January for medicals!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kinvaradent76

danube wrote: »
    There was about 1500 for the 2nd brigade. That is a lot compared to 10 years ago. Nowadays you get all types such as graduates in Law, Business etc.

My son went as far as interview in Cathal Brugha..wasnt sucessful email confirmed yest..no feedback..no why..it seems all very top secret closed shop..zero info..all on a need to know basis..no transparency at all..Why dont they say how many got to interview stage.what does it matter..it should be public knowledge..it cost him enough going up and down to Dublin for past three months....Public service jobs should be open and tranparent...

Try ringing up and ask for the results of the interview and where he went wrong, it's a scoring system so obviously he didn't score enough points in the 4 outlined fields to qualify for the next stage.
    There's always next year for him and better odds because he knows what to expect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kinvaradent76

ya your right there! I just hear a lot of lads say its all about who you know.
    Ah yeah...Good old NEPOTISM..Still alive and well in Public Service by the sounds of it so...Good to know lads..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You're entitled to feedback on your application. This will probably only be available once the competition is concluded and when the selected candidates start training. No feedback will be provided at the time of rejection however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Patryk17

What's the medical going to be like? Anyone know?

Bloods, lung capacity test, eye sight and hearing and they do a ECG, grand enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Patryk17

Bloods, lung capacity test, eye sight and hearing and they do a ECG, grand enough!

That's grand then, thanks a mil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Panda General

Tufty_1 wrote: »
    Not a whisper! Anyone who passed the interview from Brugha/Collins barracks know the date for there medical?

no word yet was told jan or early feb for medicals at my interview

Bloods, lung capacity test, eye sight and hearing and they do a ECG, grand enough![/QUOTE

For the life of me i cant think what a ECG is?

electrical cardiac gram I think it means, monitors your heart beat and looks out for any irregularities

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kaiserdave

Bloods, lung capacity test, eye sight and hearing and they do a ECG, grand enough![/QUOTE

For the life of me i cant think what a ECG is?

Checks the rhythm of your heart I think.

electrical cardiac gram I think it means, monitors your heart beat and looks out for any irregularities

ah yes remember now, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

My son went as far as interview in Cathal Brugha..wasnt sucessful email confirmed yest..no feedback..no why..it seems all very top secret closed shop..zero info..all on a need to know basis..no transparency at all..Why dont they say how many got to interview stage.what does it matter..it should be public knowledge..it cost him enough going up and down to Dublin for past three months....Public service jobs should be open and tranparent...

Your son can access information regarding his performance by submitting a Freedom Of Information (FOI) request.

http://www.military.ie/info-centre/freedom-of-information/

foi@defenceforces.ie

Patryk17 wrote: »
    What's the medical going to be like? Anyone know?

My son did his medical last June.

They do several tests on the day of the medical. Heart, lungs, eyesight, colour blindness, hearing etc. Most people find the hearing test tricky.

They also do lots of blood and urine tests and it can take a few weeks to get these results. The blood will be tested for blood count and ESR, kidney function, liver function, hepatitis A, B and C, HIV and G6PD screen. The urine is tested for urinalysis, drugs and pregnancy for female applicants.

You're told on the day of the medical whether you've passed but this is dependent on the blood and urine tests being ok.

My son had to have a particular blood test done three times. He was called back to have a repeat test (they said it was routine, it wasn't!!). Then he got a call from a doctor in Bricins telling him there was a problem with one specific test and he had one more chance to pass it. It was the worst few weeks of our lives because it didn't make sense. If he had failed it for a third time, he would have failed the medical. Luckily he passed and he's passing out tomorrow morning.

Here's a few tips for the medical:
    1. Keep away from loud noises for a few days before the medical as the hearing test can be difficult.
    2. Avoid alcohol as soon as you get the date for the medical. This should be fun if you have your medical in early January!! Lots of alcohol in one session can effect the liver function tests for weeks after.
    3. Stop taking supplements like Creatine, etc.
    4. Avoid really strenuous workouts in the gym as liver enzymes can be affected by having to repair muscle cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Good advice there, especially the bit about alcohol and supplements, lots of lads take all kinds of body building supplements without really knowing what's in them or what effects the stuff has on the body. Some of them may interfere with the workings of organs like the liver and kidneys by forcing them to work harder or different, this may show up as a problem on a medical....

Good advice there, especially the bit about alcohol and supplements, lots of lads take all kinds of body building supplements without really knowing what's in them or what effects the stuff has on the body. Some of them may interfere with the workings of organs like the liver and kidneys by forcing them to work harder or different, this may show up as a problem on a medical....

It's amazing what can affect the liver. I was really shocked to discover that excessive exercise can lead to raised levels of liver enzymes and one night of 'binge' drinking can affect them for weeks after the 'session'. Milk thistle herbal tablets are really good for the liver. Lots of kale, spinach, fresh lemon, orange and grapefruit juice,and avocados in a blender.....looks yeuch but it works.

There is no leeway with the urine and blood tests. It's either a pass or fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chalkyw91

There is a urine test and a dentist has a look at your teeth aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Fulltimer

One of my teeth erupted, Can I fail a medical with that?

any emails from the Curragh this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Michaeljohne

any emails from the Curragh this morning?

Nope 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Got medical date ! 20 something of January , anyone else ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

CorkColin wrote: »
    Got medical date ! 20 something of January , anyone else ??

Monday 11th. How quick for training after this I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

We'll I'm not so sure now , my buddy was pretty confident recruit training in Galway would start sometime in feb ( he's based up there ) , with the medicals in January and as late as my one is , I'm guessing I won't be up there anyways :) or even worse on that panel for long while ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭TheFatHombre

anyone get a date from cathal brugha for medicals

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mcgovern92

Done my interview in cathal brugha,medical on the 14th of this month.

Just got an email to say I passed my interview in the Curragh, absolutely delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

congrats. well done...they must be all out now so...

Advertisement