Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

did you/will you pay the household charge?

• 14-03-2012 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

whelan1 wrote: »
    well?
    no, and not going to register for it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

whelan1 wrote: »
    well?

No - and I don't particularly want to, but I most likely will in 2 weeks time to be honest... :mad: :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Haven't paid it yet. Can they slap it onto the esb bill?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Haven't paid yet. I think 80% of people haven't either. What are they going to do with us? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Muckit wrote: »
    Haven't paid yet. I think 80% of people haven't either. What are they going to do with us? :D
    they are going to give us all construction jobs building jails and then when we are finished, they'll put us into them..... If they had the money:D

• Advertisement

Maybe we could all apply for a council house:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

i think we will eventually have to pay it. farmers sfp is usually threatened when it comes to things like this.

yessam wrote: »
    i think we will eventually have to pay it. farmers sfp is usually threatened when it comes to things like this.

Ya with fcukin interest deducted as well:( Not everyone with a house gets sfp so we could fight a case of unfair discrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We'll be paying and registering the septic tank too :rolleyes:

I actually agree with a residential property tax although disagree with the way this is being applied.. It needs to become a progressive tax, those with more ability to pay - paying more..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Grass Hopper

No,I wont be paying.
    The craic this week of approaching the ESB (another shower of wasters) for the lists of habitated households in Ireland is an idle threat to try and scare people into paying. :mad:

Septic tank on the other hand I am in favour of and although it will cost me alot of money I believe it is worthwhile and necessary.

• Advertisement

The craic this week of approaching the ESB (another shower of wasters) for the lists of habitated households in Ireland is an idle threat to try and scare people into paying. :mad:.

Well the option is written into legislation, particularly mentioning accessing the ESB records.. I don't see why it wouldn't be used as a source of information..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Grass Hopper

bbam wrote: »
    Well the option is written into legislation, particularly mentioning accessing the ESB records.. I don't see why it wouldn't be used as a source of information..
    I dont doubt it is bbam but barring a big public swing within 2 weeks I really cant see what they propose to do with that information when 85% of the households are unwilling to pay.

If as another poster has suggested they try to include it in the households ESB bills I anticipate candle and generator sales in Ireland to rise sharply inline with the number of electricity disconnections :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Being a solicitor I went to the trouble of reading the legislation!
    http://ohod.ie/index.php/property-conveyancing/property-law-news/104-pay-the-household-charge-or

Mods, by all means delete if I am spamming or breaking rules.

Unfortunately, the government will get their pound of flesh.

I dont doubt it is bbam but barring a big public swing within 2 weeks I really cant see what they propose to do with that information when 85% of the households are unwilling to pay.

If as another poster has suggested they try to include it in the households ESB bills I anticipate candle and generator sales in Ireland to rise sharply inline with the number of electricity disconnections :rolleyes:

I think a large amount of payments will be made at the last minute, myself included.
    So I think you will see a big public swing of sorts.

In my opinion... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I think a large amount of payments will be made at the last minute, myself included.
    So I think you will see a big public swing of sorts.

In my opinion... ;)
    And arent there penalties as well for late/non registration so that will swing a lot of people towards paying.

I will probably pay but there is talk of the law being unconstitutional because it wasnt published in irish so i will wait for that challenge to be heard and pay at the last minute, as always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Didn't the ESB and all the other electricity suppliers say recently, that accouns in arrears are at record levels and rising steadily:o
    Try adding the househld charge to those accounts, and see what happens.

In any case we have paid ours, as I would much prefer that rising taxes be put on asssts rather than on labour.
    Much better pay a known sum of money on your house rather than have future governments lash higher taxes on income.
    Lookingt at the political landscape it looks like Sinn Fein, will get their blood stained, Marxist backsides in coalition government sooner than most of us would like.
    Their philospohy, would be take as much as possible from progressive and working people, and give it to the dole skangers:mad: Anybody earning over say €40k, would end up paying 80% income tax!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Didn't the ESB and all the other electricity suppliers say recently, that accouns in arrears are at record levels and rising steadily:o

In any case we have paid ours, as I would much prefer that rising taxes be put on asssts rather than on labour.
    Much better pay a known sum of money on your house rather than have future governments lash higher taxes on income.
    Lookingt at the political landscape it looks like Sinn Fein, will get their blood stained, Marxist backsides in coalition government sooner than most of us would like.
    Their philospohy, would be take as much as possible from progressive and working people, and give it to the dole skangers:mad: Anybody earning over say €40k, would end up paying 80% income tax!!!:(
    Good job average farm income is under 20k so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

As said above, we're going to have to pay more tax anyway, so it does seem fairer that everyone pays equal share,rather than lumping it on the PAYE worker. The wealth in every society is created by the worker so why punish them. It would be like the 80's again with a thriving labour black market and no one willing to do work unless it's for cash, signing on at the same time too.
    You've got to reward not punish, the person that sets their alarm clock each night, to get up early for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Am I the only one who opposes wealth taxes?

I say tax the bejaysus out of incomes and transactions if needs be, but it sickens me to see people being taxed for things that they're paying/paid for from their already taxed incomes.

motor tax is another one. arbitrarily taxing a vehicle on the basis of some random criteria like engine size or c02 or weight or whatever is a load of bollox. tax the use of the car, not the ownership of it

On the flip side I'm in favour of water charges/metering people should have to pay an ongoing contribution for the water they use. septic tank charge i'm grey on, I think their should be an equal urban sewerage treatment charge, town poo is just as nasty as country poo.

As I'm a law abiding citizen I will be registering, and paying, and would like to take this oppurtunity to thank the good people of the "dont register/dont pay" campaign, were it not for your posters I'd have completely forgotton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

paid up now lets get on to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

im the fool that paid mine straight away because i knew i was going to be made redundant this year and i had the money in January and said i want to pay it and forget it, loads of people i know have asked me did i pay it and i tell them no.... im totally embarrassed , i feel like i knicked someones underwear off there washing line

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Paid.
    Found site bit confusing, once I had registered, next step to pay wasn't obvious to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Does anyone know if you still have to register if your exempt from the charge. i.e. Gettting Mortgage Interest Relief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I paid it as soon as I heard about it, wheter I like it or not is irrelevant.

I came from Cornwall 7 years ago, and was paying £600 water rates and £1000 council tax. If you were on a low income/benefits you'd get the council tax paid, but not the water rates.

I lived in london and the water rates were £115, in Cornwall we had to pay to keep the beaches clean for the tourists. i was all for taxing the tourists to pay for it.

I've got my own well, and my own cesspit, don't know what will happen there................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Tora Bora wrote: »

Sinn Fein proposals will only impact on those earning over 70K.
    The vast majority of people on the dole don't want to be there.

ricfeen wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you still have to register if your exempt from the charge. i.e. Gettting Mortgage Interest Relief?

You have to register and then select the exemption that applies to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

yourpics wrote: »
    Sinn Fein proposals will only impact on those earning over 70K.
    The vast majority of people on the dole don't want to be there.

Sinn fein don't want anybody in the country earning over 70k, if they had their way they'd have 100% on tax on everything over it

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Sinn fein don't want anybody in the country earning over 70k, if they had their way they'd have 100% on tax on everything over it

Why would you need more than 70K a year?

Take a look at NI were SF do not have full fiscal powers. In spite of this they have delivered the A5 project which FG/LAB pulled the plug on. Motor tax is cheaper and fairer and you actually get something for your household charge.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2011/PreBudget2012.pdf

Why would you need more than 70K a year?

Take a look at NI were SF do not have full fiscal powers. In spite of this they have delivered the A5 project which FG/LAB pulled the plug on. Motor tax is cheaper and fairer and you actually get something for your household charge.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2011/PreBudget2012.pdf

Easy to that when London is dropping a few billion into your account annually

As for not needing more than 70k per year - what kind of a small time mentality is that??

God help this country is SF ever see power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Paid Yesterday

Easy to that when London is dropping a few billion into your account annually

As for not needing more than 70k per year - what kind of a small time mentality is that??

God help this country is SF ever see power

Anyone can live comfortably on 70K. I am not saying that no one should earn more, but we need to be realistic about salaries.
    Remember it was greed that got us into this mess.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I registered and I will pay it next week.

Anyone can live comfortably on 70K. I am not saying that no one should earn more, but we need to be realistic about salaries.

Well SF need people to earn over 70k so they can tax the hell out of them to fund the huge transfer payments to "the most vunerable in our society"

They have no concept of the risk reward relationship

Well SF need people to earn over 70k so they can tax the hell out of them to fund the huge transfer payments to "the most vunerable in our society"

They have no concept of the risk reward relationship

Better to help the vunerable than to bail out speculators like AXA, Rothschild and Michael Noonan.

Better to help the vunerable than to bail out speculators like AXA, Rothschild and Michael Noonan.

I could be wrong but what speculating did Michael Noonan do?? Or are you referring to his attempts to cut our massive government expenditure bill which went out of control in the 2000's with massive increases in social welfare and public sector wages

Who exactly are "the vunerable" anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

You are not exempt if recieving mortagage interest relief. Its morgage interest suppliment! 2 totally different things

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but what speculating did Michael Noonan do?? Or are you referring to his attempts to cut our massive government expenditure bill which went out of control in the 2000's with massive increases in social welfare and public sector wages

Who exactly are "the vunerable" anyway??

Noonan is a bondholder in Germany and has/had shares in Anglo.

The vunerable are the unemployed, the disabled, pensioners, children and anyone who has to make decisions between food and heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I had convinced myself I wasent going to pay, they could drag me to jail if they had to , however, there seems, as usual, no way out, even after death...lol ..!
    So I think I'll pay up at the last minute, no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face , as they say. I',m certainly not going to give them a cent over the 100.
    I've no problaem paying the 100euro its the fact that its so unfair to some. But then when did ANY government give a flying F*** about fairness.
    I heard a story lately about internal government expenses, you know the type, you go abroad and get a certain expense for hotels etc, well, have a guess which city in europe brings in more in expenses in terms of travel for the ministers than any other city in Europe.......

Yep, you guessed it, Brussels. The expenses for visiting here are considerably and un-proportionately way out of line compared to any other cities.
    Sure why not, they make the rules and are laughing all the way to the bank, F the county and the rest of the citizens that ALWAYS have to pay for their mistakes

Anyway, thats my rant.

R

Noonan is a bondholder in Germany and has/had shares in Anglo.

The vunerable are the unemployed, the disabled, pensioners, children and anyone who has to make decisions between food and heat.

Sorry but that is just populist rubbish - pensioners as the best of section of our society - followed closely by the unemployed who have been in the system for a while. The problem is that people seem to think that unemployed people should have the same standard of living as those who have to earn it

As for Noonan - no idea on his bond ownership but if he was a shareholder in Anglo then he has lost the full amount of his investment so he is NOT being bailed out (as a shareholder) He has lost all of it

Any link/evidence of Noonan being a bondholder that is being paid back?

It's easy to put something out there but you should back it up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What is wrong with being a bondholder?

Two legs bad, 4 legs good is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

daithi84 wrote: »
    You are not exempt if recieving mortagage interest relief. Its morgage interest suppliment! 2 totally different things

You just burst my bubble. :mad: I was happy for half an hour until you posted this :D . I though I had misunderstood the regulations :confused:

Anyway, to answer the OP, I registered and I will pay it next week.

Yes and No yourpics. 70k may sound like a lot - I don't think is that much if you have to pay a mortgage + two cars + a few kids. You wouldn't be long seeing it disappear...

As for not saying no one should earn more - you kinda are, if you support a 100% tax on everyone over 70k. There is no incentive for people to earn more.
    So what do you do if you want more? So now, instead of people who want a job having to leave the country, we are also driving people out of the country if they have a job but want a bit more from life?
    Not sure thats the way forward... :(

But - I am going way off topic ;)
    As I said - I will pay the charge, at the last minute...

Yes and No yourpics. 70k may sound like a lot - I don't think is that much if you have to pay a mortgage + two cars + a few kids. You wouldn't be long seeing it disappear...

As for not saying no one should earn more - you kinda are, if you support a 100% tax on everyone over 70k. There is no incentive for people to earn more.
    So what do you do if you want more? So now, instead of people who want a job having to leave the country, we are also driving people out of the country if they have a job but want a bit more from life?
    Not sure thats the way forward... :(

But - I am going way off topic ;)
    As I said - I will pay the charge, at the last minute...

If you need 70k for 2 cars, kids and a mortgage then you took out too big of a mortgage.
    I'm not saying no one should earn over 70K, but public servants, TD's etc definetly should not.

Any link/evidence of Noonan being a bondholder that is being paid back?

It's easy to put something out there but you should back it up too.

Take a look at the Dail list of declared interests.

To answer the other poster, there is nothing wrong with being a bondholder, but they should accept their losses and not be bailed out. Furthermore, how can Noonan make impartial decisions if he is a bondholder himself?

Sorry but that is just populist rubbish - pensioners as the best of section of our society - followed closely by the unemployed who have been in the system for a while. The problem is that people seem to think that unemployed people should have the same standard of living as those who have to earn it

I seriously suggest you try the life of an unemployed person before you pass judgement. Apart from the loss of earnings there is the unimaginable loss of dignity, self-respect, self-worth and the loss of work as a social outlet.

If you need 70k for 2 cars, kids and a mortgage then you took out too big of a mortgage.
    I'm not saying no one should earn over 70K, but public servants, TD's etc definetly should not.

Public servants, TDs - maybe, but instead of trying to say everyone should earn less, I think we should be pushing for value for money.

As for the 70k - so I have too big a mortgage. Every month I see it going I agree, but I'd say I would agree with that til the very last payment goes out :D
    In your eyes - what salary should I be earning, to live comfortably? And whats an acceptable mortgage payment / month? I am genuinely interested to know, as I often wonder what peoples expectations are here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

The household tax is just another income tax. If you are making below a certain income threshold (on the dole or in receipt of mortgage supplement) you won't have to pay.

When the tax is increased in the next couple years, it will be just one more dis-incentive to get off the dole. As well, I would bet the household (property) tax for the average value home will be 1,000/year within 5 years, and this will continue to rise as long as their are politicians still breathing.

Property tax will destroy the Irish tradition of the family home. It is the main reason why in america, people constantly move and there is no real connection to any particular homeplace. Once middle-class people raise their children in a family sized home, it is no longer reasonable to keep that home due to the higher taxes, so they end up downsizing to a different home.

The politicians have admitted the €100 household tax is just to get their foot in the door (and everybody registered). Once they get the tax in place they will expand the definition of local services to include schools, hospitals, etc., and as in america the quality of your school education and hospitals, etc. will vary considerably between rich and poor areas.

Public servants, TDs - maybe, but instead of trying to say everyone should earn less, I think we should be pushing for value for money.

As for the 70k - so I have too big a mortgage. Every month I see it going I agree, but I'd say I would agree with that til the very last payment goes out :D
    In your eyes - what salary should I be earning, to live comfortably? And whats an acceptable mortgage payment / month? I am genuinely interested to know, as I often wonder what peoples expectations are here...

Your salary is dependent on your job, experience etc.

But your mortgage repayments should be an amount that allows you to ive comfortably and not be worrying or struggling.

I seriously suggest you try the life of an unemployed person before you pass judgement. Apart from the loss of earnings there is the unimaginable loss of dignity, self-respect, self-worth and the loss of work as a social outlet.

Oh for gods sake - have a word with yourself. Take a look around and see the actual situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Hey, leave comrade yourpics alone.

once the party are in power we will all be told what to earn.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement