Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC TV updates

Options
  • 14-03-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

So I see RTE+1 has made it position 107 replacing City Channel! Not too sure if I should get excited :rolleyes:

A number of other channels are due to be added over the next few days but most will only be available to properly connected cable areas and not MMDS. See post:
    UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Here you go guys. Official confirmation.

RTE One+1 – EPG 107 – available today
    RTETwo HD - EPG 135 – available Thursday 15th March
    RTEjr – EPG 600 – available Thursday 15th March
    BBC HD moving to 139 on Thursday 15th March

Regards

Jason
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=77573777

Now I was speaking briefly to a UPC engineer last Friday and was told a fibre connection is required to Charlesland but there was no planned date for this. While reading over on the Tech forums, MMDS licenses will be up for renewal in 2014 and at that stage may not be renewed to open up the spectrum to other uses (possibly 4G use - all speculation of course).

So where am I going with this you ask? The picture of downscaled HD content is awful when broadcast over the UPC MMDS service. What is needed is a proper HD service - this way you can enjoy the benefits of RTE Two HD, BBC HD etc. If you are ever talking to UPC, over the phone or an engineer in person - just ask about HD. Make them aware they are providing half a service but charging full whack for it!

Post back here with any updates too - Thanks!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I asked about remote recording and was told it is not available on MMDS.

Now that the Bray upgrade is near completion with some luck they might cable up Greystones next!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I suppose one thing which will be a difference, even if you're not interested in HD, is that you will get about 30 more useless channels when they finally do connect up to proper cable infrastructure!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

astrofluff wrote: »
    I suppose one thing which will be a difference, even if you're not interested in HD, is that you will get about 30 more useless channels when they finally do connect up to proper cable infrastructure!

True, however id rather have them as i pay the same price as the Dublin cable customers for less channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

DD9090 wrote: »
    I asked about remote recording and was told it is not available on MMDS.

Now that the Bray upgrade is near completion with some luck they might cable up Greystones next!

It's funny, I complained that I couldn't remote record so the office scheduled an engineer. When he saw the call he rang me and said they ought to know that Charlesland can't do it and they sooner they upgrade us, the less headaches he will have,

I asked if he knew when that would be and he said he didn't :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

wardie214 wrote: »
    When he saw the call he rang me and said they ought to know that Charlesland can't do it and they sooner they upgrade us, the less headaches he will have

We've had no end of trouble because of the MMDS situation because we were offered a package we shouldn't have (not eligible over MMDS), and they haven't got the bill correct once in 11 months. If it wasn't for the broadband I'd have left them a long time ago. And if month 12's bill isn't correct, might be going back to Sky for TV. There is no comparison really between the Sky service and the UPC one we get. For example, the UPC box has a cool "feature" where it freezes every so often and won't recover until you plug it out and back in. Also, the fan goes haywire every so often - it doesn't really seem to like being plugged in long-term, so it's probably a lucky thing we can't remote record. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

the UPC box has a cool "feature" where it freezes every so often and won't recover until you plug it out and back in. Also, the fan goes haywire every so often - it doesn't really seem to like being plugged in long-term, so it's probably a lucky thing we can't remote record. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you got a bad box. I have never had issues like this (at least since getting one of the new, smaller black boxes). I have noticed that it powers itself off when it's not in use. Or at least does some sort of reboot (a load of crosses appear on the screen then it goes blank and then comes back) but never when it's turned on or when something is recording. I have mine plugged in 24/7.

But yeah, MMDS is a pain in the bum. Gimme HD / 100MB please.

Advertisement