Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essay writing course in Maynooth

Options
  • 14-03-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I had a interview last week for the arts 101 degree in Maynooth, it went ok and today i recieved a letter to say i have been selected to do the Essay writing course during the summer which is a week long, has anyone done this before? if yes how was it and do you think i now have a good chance of making the final places

I am hoping it is a good sign that i may in to the arts degree and it can only help me in the long run

any feedback welcomed

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

ker6 wrote: »
    Hi

I had a interview last week for the arts 101 degree in Maynooth, it went ok and today i recieved a letter to say i have been selected to do the Essay writing course during the summer which is a week long, has anyone done this before? if yes how was it and do you think i now have a good chance of making the final places

I am hoping it is a good sign that i may in to the arts degree and it can only help me in the long run

any feedback welcomed

Thanks

Hi,

First off, well done on the interview and well done on getting that letter. :)

I completed the essay writing course during the summer of 2010.
    I am currently a second year Arts student and I still reap the benefits from it. It's a fantastic course.
    I found it a pretty intensive course. It's essentially a crash course on writing essays properly (with some work on punctuation and grammar, to boot). I can't stress how useful it has been throughout my college work.It really is the ultimate heads-up for going back to college.

I can't say whether it's a good sign or not but if they are putting you on the course, at least that's a positive move. Work hard at the course and you will benefit greatly.

Do you have any subjects in particular that you would aim to study when you return or are you planning to cross that bridge when you get to it?

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

Hi

I did the essay course last summer and I found it really good. I would highly recommend it. It really prepares you for what lies ahead. I refer back to my notes when I'm doing any assignments. I have found that some departments allow some lee way in how you present the essay but the formula provided by the essay course is a great guide.

The course was 'suggested' to me but I was guaranteed a place in the university either way. Some people had to pass to get a place.

I think there were about 35 people at the course the week I did it - I think 15 - 20 got a place in NUIM or other universities.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Megagal

Does anyone know do you have to be a current NUI student to do this summer essay writing course and/or do you have to be 'referred' by a lecturer? I'm enrolling for certificate courses in September and would be interested in doing it myself beforehand if it was an option to me. Who would I contact does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

Megagal wrote: »
    Does anyone know do you have to be a current NUI student to do this summer essay writing course and/or do you have to be 'referred' by a lecturer? I'm enrolling for certificate courses in September and would be interested in doing it myself beforehand if it was an option to me. Who would I contact does anyone know?

The course is for students who have applied to NUIM - normally they have been requested/suggested they do the course after an interview.

I would contact Emer Sheeran or Michael Maguire - see link below.

http://access.nuim.ie/contact/mature

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ker6

Hi
    Thanks for the replies and sorry for the very late post but got a place so very happy New life starting very soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement