Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change-Am i Mad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

I think you would be better off to stay in your job. You should look though at maybe working Saturdays (even voluntary) for a cabinet maker. I'm sure they would be glad to have the free labour. If you pack in the job and get an apprenticeship what happens if the company goes busts/closes half way through it. You're in no man's land. I know lads who have been caught that way. I think you are better to pick up the trade as I said and who knows a few years down the line if you are still interested you will have a lot of the skills to get work and maybe contacts to do it with.
    The way things are going here there will be little work in that area and you just don't know if you will get any sort of living from it.
    Do your research and write down your various options and see what the financial side of things would be. If you still want to leave the job then, well best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Joe222 wrote: »
    I think you would be better off to stay in your job. You should look though at maybe working Saturdays (even voluntary) for a cabinet maker. I'm sure they would be glad to have the free labour. If you pack in the job and get an apprenticeship what happens if the company goes busts/closes half way through it. You're in no man's land. I know lads who have been caught that way. I think you are better to pick up the trade as I said and who knows a few years down the line if you are still interested you will have a lot of the skills to get work and maybe contacts to do it with.
    The way things are going here there will be little work in that area and you just don't know if you will get any sort of living from it.
    Do your research and write down your various options and see what the financial side of things would be. If you still want to leave the job then, well best of luck to you.
    I can see your point and can understand it however taking chances, creating opportunities to succeed sometimes comes at a personal cost hard work! fear of the unknown and possible let downs along they way but if he is committed and passionate I don't doubt that he'll succeed

A good cabinet maker takes years to gain the skills, knowledge & ability. Working a Saturday is all well and good but you would have to be a 100% certain that they would invest there time in you heavily. Free labor works on a very limited short term basis yes you will gain skills that will help however it could also lead to being taking advantage off, no progression with only passing a small limited skill or knowledge its important vitally important that employers have an vested interest in training & development though you may be giving your time for free.

Individuals happy to work for free gain the relevant experience is great! It gives them time to network, gain experience but for many the need for it to lead onto full time paid employment in there area of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Froggyman wrote: »
    Hey nice chick! great name by the way !
    Just want to reply and say i agree with ya 100%,and thanks for taking the time to write such a long piece..and i know wat you mean by the 'sense of dread'..i have it every Sunday nite ..and even though the market it not there at the moment i agree with ya that things have to pick up ..and 5 years time i could be 34 ,fully qualified and hopefully have a more active construction industry!..and as sumone said in an earlier post 'if you love what you work at,you will never work a day in your life! ,thanks again!

Ha! my name couldn't come up with anything at the time (no imagination!) but generally a good reflection of myself but do note have the occasional moment!

Your right things will pick up those who can will drive down as much off there personal debt as possible will eventually feel comfortable to start spending again! but small business, even larger organisations out there are succeeding! and I mean it when I say succeeding they choose to embrace, acknowledge this current crisis and choose to succeed it may not mean as much on there bottom line, working in very stressful environments but making smart moves by investing there time energy in what they do to will keep them in business! I know its a very general statement but we'd no nowhere if we didn't have forward thinking!

Its all well & good focusing on the negatives all the time sure that would get us nowhere!

All the best :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Froggyman

nicechick! wrote: »
    Hey nice chick! great name by the way !
    Just want to reply and say i agree with ya 100%,and thanks for taking the time to write such a long piece..and i know wat you mean by the 'sense of dread'..i have it every Sunday nite ..and even though the market it not there at the moment i agree with ya that things have to pick up ..and 5 years time i could be 34 ,fully qualified and hopefully have a more active construction industry!..and as sumone said in an earlier post 'if you love what you work at,you will never work a day in your life! ,thanks again!

Ha! my name couldn't come up with anything at the time (no imagination!) but generally a good reflection of myself but do note have the occasional moment!

Your right things will pick up those who can will drive down as much off there personal debt as possible will eventually feel comfortable to start spending again! but small business, even larger organisations out there are succeeding! and I mean it when I say succeeding they choose to embrace, acknowledge this current crisis and choose to succeed it may not mean as much on there bottom line, working in very stressful environments but making smart moves by investing there time energy in what they do to will keep them in business! I know its a very general statement but we'd no nowhere if we didn't have forward thinking!

Its all well & good focusing on the negatives all the time sure that would get us nowhere!

All the best :)
    Exactly,we only get the one shot at life and im not gona spend it in a job i hate ..its all bout taking risks and chances..nothing ventured nothing gained!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bluecats

Froggyman, how are things going for you?

i'm in the civil service nearly 4 years. The work is mind numbing and i's so draining that it's making me miserble, and all for €389 a week!!! I enjoyed reading your posts you seem like a really positive person who'll certainly make a go of things.

I'm planning a career break and i'm hoping to work in australia - i'm praying they bring back the incentivised career break this year?? Another 36 years in the civil service will either put me in an early grave or act as a one way ticket to lunacy.

anyway that's my rant over - i hope things are working out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Froggyman

Hey everyone just a quick update! I handed in good few cvs but to no avail :-( ,then in the middle of it all a house few doors up from our family house went up for sale for 50,000 so myself and brother ended up buying it as it was too good to pass up so really i haven't done anymore about the job since end of man as we will only be getting keys to the house in few weeks..hectic few months,still hate the office job though so Gona keep looking out for good evening carpentry related courses..half thinkin of career break too and goin back to Australia for a bit! Decisions decisions..cracking up in the civil service though ha,not Gona turn into one of the 60 year old mentalers our office has though ha,love a good evening course in the evenings in midland area! Anyone want take me on as apprentice ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hey everyone just a quick update! I handed in good few cvs but to no avail :-( ,then in the middle of it all a house few doors up from our family house went up for sale for 50,000 so myself and brother ended up buying it as it was too good to pass up so really i haven't done anymore about the job since end of man as we will only be getting keys to the house in few weeks..hectic few months,still hate the office job though so Gona keep looking out for good evening carpentry related courses..half thinkin of career break too and goin back to Australia for a bit! Decisions decisions..cracking up in the civil service though ha,not Gona turn into one of the 60 year old mentalers our office has though ha,love a good evening course in the evenings in midland area! Anyone want take me on as apprentice ha!

A voluntary redundandancy scheme has been agreed in principle for the public service, you should keep an eye out for it and wait for an announcement of when it's open for applicants.

Advertisement