Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on mashing cold spuds

Options
  • 14-03-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am making fish pie tonight and I have some left over cold spuds in the fridge from last night. Thet are roosters and they were steamed in their skins last night.

Cold spuds dont make the best mash, but I dont want to throw them out.

I dont have enough so I will need to steam some more.

Anyone any advice on how best to do this, or is it inevitible that they wil be gloopy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

How about making a salad out of them, cut them into small squares, add salt + pepper, pasrley or some other herbs,
    add in some beetroot, apples, and about 2 or 3 boiled eggs,
    then depending on what you like, either oil and vinegar, or cottage cheese, or fresh yoghurt
    yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Baybay

I think that even if you warmed the cold potatoes, they still wouldn't mash very well.
    I would slice them fairly thinly and lay them on top of the mash you would make with the newly boiled potatoes, maybe around the edge of the dish and smeared with a little bit of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you don't want to mash them you could slice them and fry them with some paprika and salt. Works great with new potatoes, not sure how well it would work with roosters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks for the suggestions. I love fried spuds but I have my heart set on fish pie with nice fluffy mash on top, so I made fresh spuds to mash and I'll use the old ones tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can use potatoes in other ways as a fish-pie topping, it doesn't have to be mash. Either sliced thinly and laid on top and then brushed with butter, or just roughly crushed and sprinkled with cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I disagree about the cold spud not making mash...even if fluffy, a good dash of salt before mashing will help jell the mash together...you could even slightly heat the mash first to soften it ...god mash needs good elbow grease ...don't add milk till after the potato is fully soft with no lumps

Advertisement