Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samoyed Puppy Advice

• 14-03-2012 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Myself and my partner, and our 4year old daughter, recently got a samoyed puppy. Shes 15 weeks now. the problem is shes nipping alot at our hands when shes being rubbed or at our legs when we're walking around the house. its just out of excitement but with a 4 year old in the house we're trying to stop it in its tracks especially since theres already been two instances of tears from it.
    occassionally she will kind of 'snap', but again i think its in a playful manner, but this is a bit more than nipping i think. and she chews alot but we expected that so its more the nipping at hands thats the problem.

we've tried distracting with chew toys, yelping like a pup, saying no, ignoring her/no play when nipping. Any advice? should we stick to just one method for a longer period of time and see, if so which would be the best?

apart from this all is well, she's learned sit, stay, lie down, high five etc. and will do these when asked- 99% of the time :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Time out is what worked with our guy. So his bold phrase (we say "too bad") and led out, door closed and let back in a min later when there's pause in the barking - there will be barking btw lol! :) Don't entertain her by giving out or saying anthing much like if a child is doing something bold but hilariously funny - keep your mouth shut no matter how hard it is :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

thanks for the reply! might go with the time out and bold phrase. will she definitely cop that its as a result of her nipping?

when i rub her she'll instantly turn her head to my hand and open her jaws- should i say no and try again or should i do time out with this too?
    i dont really mind her mouthing my hand but we've decided its best to not allow it at all because we dont want her thinking its ok to do it to the little one- so all out ban it is.

sorry for all the questions! its my first dog- ive been terrified of them my whole life :o- and now im in love with her apart from the nipping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

We used a high pitched yelp & a big ould fake sulk. Worked perfect. Like everything else you need to be 100% consistant.
    As soon as she nips - yelp, stand up, turn away, fold your hands & ignore for a few mins. Avoid all eye contact & keep turning your back to her. Ignore for a good few mins. Leave the room if you have to.

Didn't take long for the messege to sink in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I hope you are prepared for all the exercise a Samoyed needs?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

andreac wrote: »
    I hope you are prepared for all the exercise a Samoyed needs?:eek:

yep- our 4 year old has (3/4s of the way) climbed the sugarloaf twice already! we enjoy our hillwalks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement