Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F.M.I Dundrum - Door to door sales

Options
  • 14-03-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I recently did an interview to do door to door sales selling upc for FMI . . . I have been called back for an "Observation Day".

If anyone has done this before could you please tell me what exactly the obsevation day involves and what i should expect?

Thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

Expect to pay for your lunch, not get paid and be offered the job. All commission only jobs are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

:rolleyes:

So thats what FMI stands for!!

Out of interest what products/services do you sell door to door?

Is the basic salary equal or better than min wage?

Are expenses coverd for travel, food etc?

Looking forward to your reply

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

OP , read the main thread you have been directed to and you can then make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Consaw

Me too. Past the first interview I'm wondering what the observation day is and what is the job like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Consaw wrote: »
    Me too. Past the first interview I'm wondering what the observation day is and what is the job like

Read the main thread and all your questions will be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 woofy

FMI isn't commission only. The main thread is quite hefty. I worked in FMI for a year and brought a lot of people out on their observation and training days so I think I can shed some light on this.

To get the job you need to pass the initial interviews in the office, usually with one or two of the accounts managers who are mostly lovely.

Secondly you go on your observation day. You ll go into the training area and one of the more experienced people there or one of the managers will speak to you individually or in a group depending on how many other people are in for their observations as well. They ll explain the campaign you ll be observing, give you a bit of history, maybe go over a bit of a pitch with you.

You ll then go out and watch one the guys do his job. I'm not gonna lie. It is tough. You ll get a lot of rejection, a lot of abuse. People are not nice. But you cant get dragged down to their level. The guy with you will show you how he goes about his day. After you've gone around for a few hours one of the managers will come and collect you, talk to you about your day. Then depending on the guys who was showing you around recommendation and the chat you have with the bossman. You ll be back for day 2 for your training day.

Training day is much the same as the observation day except that the training is a bit more intense and by the end of the day the goal is to have you knocking by yourself.

Following that you now have a job with FMI going door to door.

SALARY:
    Paid weekly, 32 hours a week. Charities get €10 per hour and other groups get €9 an hour. So €288 or €320 per week plus commission.
    Commission is paid monthly and varies greatly from campaign to campaign.

Commission on charities isn't as good. Its a lot more challenging and tbh only diehard people who really care about the cause will stick it out. You can make money doing charities but you ll work long ass hours and it will still only work out a little over minimum wage. But if you re good you will raise a LOT of money for the charity (€100K+) per year easily if you can hit your targets.

I started in charities and one fortnight in particular sticks out for me. I raised enough money to save a hundred puppies from being killed!! Which was amazing. It was a great feeling.

On other campaigns the commission is better and the hours aren't as long usually.

you ll also have extra training days and additional training sessions almost every day. When i started we had the 3,5,8 steps drilled into us. They do work and if you apply yourself you will learn a lot about yourself and what you can do. If you can stick it out there is progression as well. You honestly get out what you put in.

Your average day is 12.30-8.30pm on sales and 12.30-9pm on charities (yes you only get paid for 6 hours). Mondays you'll be in at 11.30am for the Monday meeting. go over the highrollers, news in the company etc etc. but you get the extra two hours wages.
    Training goes from half 12 to 1pm. lunch for a half hour, then you head out the fields and you re out on doors by 2 usually with another break somewhere along the way.

Whatever way you look at it, if you re on the dole. Apply here. Its a fantastic place to work and if you are really committed you can achieve, and you will make money as well. But will certainly grow as an individual and gain valuable experience.

There are a lot of people out there who will talk down about this kind of job. But don't knock it til you've tried it. Give yourself a month at it. I've seen people come in and struggle massively til they found the right person to teach them and when they did. They started hitting targets, started high rolling. And then start teaching as well making money for themselves. At which point they re shortlisted for promotion.

Definitely give it a go. Don't be disheartened if it takes you a while to get into it.

(^_^)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Hi All,

Apologies to bump an old thread but I got invited to Training Day.

Anyone know if this company is still any good?

Advertisement