Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Front end loaders

• 14-03-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

I have it in my head to invest in a new one in the next few months, so want to do my homework.

We're talking an entry level utility loader, as it's for a relatively small (85hp) 4WD tractor, working on an equally small farm! ;)
    • What brands would you recommend?
    • What joystickcontrols? ie cable vs low pressure hydraulic
    • Parallel linkage, is it a plus?
    • Also recommendations please for a good universal bale handler for same for stacking and feeding?....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How much do you want to spend?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3095713

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

blue5000 wrote: »

:D Shes a humdinger blue :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

thanx redzer, I wonder is it torque drive, you could take her to vintage rallies for the summer as well:D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3067141

here's another one all restored

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

would recommend quicke, alot tider than rossmore, would recommend rossmore for the bale handler though, have one since 2000 and no problems. loader is essential bit of kit around farm, hard to do without it once you have one..as for the massey industrial loader, the auld fella had one of those for years and years, did alot of work, gave a lot of trouble too though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Muckit wrote: »
    I have it in my head to invest in a new one in the next few months, so want to do my homework.

We're talking an entry level utility loader, as it's for a relatively small (85hp) 4WD tractor, working on an equally small farm! ;)
    • What brands would you recommend?
    • What joystickcontrols? ie cable vs low pressure hydraulic
    • Parallel linkage, is it a plus?
    • Also recommendations please for a good universal bale handler for same for stacking and feeding?....

I was in same boat few years back. Putting an expensive new loader, on an older tractor. After looking long and hard, and allowing for cost of loader, cost of all the hydraulic bits and pieces, plus labour to put it together, I decided to get a wheel digger. Got a nice tight MF 50HX, with full set of buckets, and pallet forks, for €6.5k. Put a bale handler on it since.
    Done plenty of digging, drains, general farm work with it since. Stacks bales. Shifts pallet. Manages to drive fence posts. Could get my money back tomorrow if I wanted to sell it, but wouldn't part with it now.

In my mind, far better value than a loader.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

I was in same boat few years back. Putting an expensive new loader, on an older tractor. After looking long and hard, and allowing for cost of loader, cost of all the hydraulic bits and pieces, plus labour to put it together, I decided to get a wheel digger. Got a nice tight MF 50HX, with full set of buckets, and pallet forks, for €6.5k. Put a bale handler on it since.
    Done plenty of digging, drains, general farm work with it since. Stacks bales. Shifts pallet. Manages to drive fence posts. Could get my money back tomorrow if I wanted to sell it, but wouldn't part with it now.

In my mind, far better value than a loader.

i also think these diggers are a lot better. get either a massey 50 hx or 860. you will be surprised how many uses you will get out the back actor when you have it. you can take the top part off if you want it to fit into a specific shed. you will have it taken off and on in 5 minutes when you get used to it. torque is lovely for putting in silage and general farm duties compared to the clutch. also very fast lift compared to tractors with loaders. these machines are made for loaders not tractors in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

new holland 750 on a t6155

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks lads. Much food for thought ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

you should also look at a bobcat. better for handler for feeding a and if your setup is a little old shed and yards would have been tighter plus more efficient on diesel etc good Secondhand one is price of new loader and always handy to lift pallet and fert. stack bales scrap yards and a lot lest to go wrong than a old worn out digger hoses and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

• What brands would you recommend? MX
    • What joystickcontrols? ie cable vs low pressure hydraulic Only have experience of cable.
    • Parallel linkage, is it a plus? It's a must-have
    • Also recommendations please for a good universal bale handler for same for stacking and feeding?.... Not the heaviest duty item in the world, but Fleming do a good-value handler which will suit a farmer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Muckit wrote: »
    Thanks lads. I'm off out now to buy a 20 year old backhoe loader

Good on you. Right decision for a small farm. I was like you. Mad get a loader, as you need something lifted or stacked a good few times a year.

But the cost of a loader just put me right off, for my small operation.
    Got an old 3CX. Lifts what needs lifting. Stacks what needs stacking. Not as nimbly as a tractor loader, BUT gets it done.
    Does a ton of work around the land in the summer, which would never get done otherwise.

My synopsis, is a loader tractor combo, is a one trick racehorse!
    A backhoe, is a multi trick, draught horse.

Take your pick:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

One thing a loader is handy for is drawing bales. You can't do it successfully with a digger and loaderless tractor.

That said, we bought a Ford 550 digger back in 1993 for £4000. It is probably now worth €3000, and has cost only needed a gearbox in those close on 20 years. Amazing, amazing machine that has never once failed to start which it does most days and do a days work.

Advertisement