Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tilda Basmati Rice - worth the cost?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has tried tilda basmati rice and if so is it worth the extra over other brands?
    Currently using one from lidl which isn't bad but I've definitely had better and the price of Tilda suggests it should be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Tilda is very, very good but it is expensive.
    it is definitely better than the Lidl brand, but there are mid priced brands
    that are pretty good too and not as pricy as Tilda.

Do you live anywhere close to the Muslim Cultural Centre in Clonskeagh.
    They do good value large bags of basmati abd Thai Jasmine rice,
    Some Asia markets do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

thanks for the reply. I live in town so there are a few asian markets I could check out. Ill try Tilda first seeing as it's on offer in tesco at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Hey for anyone interested I picked up a bag of Tilda basmati rice in the eurosaver on moore St for €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

tilda is really nice rice, the microwave one is the best microwave one on the market :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Tilda is well worth it in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Tilda: the only basmati rice I have used in 10 years. Absolutely delicious and worth the premium.

It has steadily got more expensive though over that time. Cheapest recently was the Eurogiant store in Maynooth that had it for €1.50 for 500g. The exact same pack 200yds away in Tesco was €3 on 'special offer'!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Amazon do tilda in big bags, free post over £25, not sure how the price compares.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Atilda+rice%2Ci%3Agrocery&keywords=tilda+rice&ie=UTF8&qid=1346665514

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

rubadub wrote: »
    Amazon do tilda in big bags, free post over £25, not sure how the price compares.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Atilda+rice%2Ci%3Agrocery&keywords=tilda+rice&ie=UTF8&qid=1346665514
    Have seen these big bags in tesco in cork, last time i checked price wise it was looking like you were getting 1kg free.
    But its a hell of a lot of rice, it would depend how much you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

They were selling 1kg bags for 2.50 in Tesco Clearwater last week, they're usually a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Worth it if you cook it properly.

The Tesco Jasmine rice (turqouise coloured pack) is excellent, especially with sauces like curry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Allure_

You can get it in deals for cheap but ooo yes its worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

supervalue branded basmati rice in purple packet is really good. Prefer Tilda but it is more than double cost of the supervalue one.

Advertisement