Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent/Mortgage price rise headline

Options
  • 14-03-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭

Really surprised at this news story today, it said average outlay on rent/mortgage is gone up from "94 euro a week in 2004/2005 to 147 euro in 2009/2010." You could barely get a bedsit in Dublin for that! Average amongst myself and people I know is 8/900 a month, they said that yearly accomodation accounts for "18% of income" more like 50/60 per cent I would think?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Really surprised at this news story today, it said average outlay on rent/mortgage is gone up from "94 euro a week in 2004/2005 to 147 euro in 2009/2010." You could barely get a bedsit in Dublin for that! Average amongst myself and people I know is 8/900 a month, they said that yearly accomodation accounts for "18% of income" more like 50/60 per cent I would think?.

If you are paying rent/mortgage, then yes it will probably be much more than that.
    However, a large proportion of the population (eg most of those aged 50+) will have a very small mortgage or none at all. This then skews the average downwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I know it's eerily close in my case, about €100 week mortgage & €40 a week in home insurance & maintenance. It's all down to when you bought really, some people have €0 mortgage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Bedsits in Dublin can be got for €100 per week.

Advertisement