Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming Hamster

• 14-03-2012 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I bought a hamster at the weekend- he is a lovely wee soul but I am looking for some help on how to tame him.

I used to have hamsters when I was younger but I have forgotten what we did when they were new to us.

At the moment he will take food out of my hand but still seems quite nervous overall. We did manage to get him in to
    his ball for the first time last night but that was him climbing straight in to the ball without me actually lifting him.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mutznutz

THEY NEED CONSTANT ATTENTION AT THE START.. TRY LIFTING HIM BY CUPPING YOUR HANDS UNDERNEATH THIS IS THE EASIEST WAY TO PICK THEM UP WITHOUT GETTING BITTEN ... CONSTANT FEEDING THEM OUTTA YOUR HAND .. SOMETHING THAT SMELLS LIKE YOU IN THERE CAGE .. AND DONT WAKE THEM SUDDENLY THEY HATE THAT:D

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You have to handle him, handle him, handle him.

Lots of petting, feeding by hand, letting him out and using your hand to gently direct him from side to side, touch him loads, get him used to climbing onto your hand for food, help him up on small obstacles that you set up and progress to picking him up.

He will likely have been handled by whoever you bought him from so its probably not new to him. The best way to handle them is firmly, dont be nervous yourself, and the first few times handle him over a soft surface in case he falls off your hands or scrambles or something. As you get used to each other you get more deft handling them.

Advertisement