Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed for killing ivy in an awkward place

Options
  • 14-03-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

hi as you can see from the pictures ive got ivy grown through my wall and up along the ditch at the back of my house...
    i pulled all the ivy off the wall last year and had planned on starting on the ditch this year but as you can see its growing back through the wall fairly fast...
    i was just wondering if anyone knew a way to get rid of it so the ditch could thicken up and grow and also be able to do it without killing my lawn
    thats also recovering after removing the ivy that was built up at the foot of the wall
    and also stop it pushing out the old wall

P1010205.jpgP1010204.jpgP1010203.jpgP1010202.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Cover with black polythene to exclude light. It will need to be secured and left for about 12 months. I am not sure as to how successful this will be in your case, as the roots have established in the bank behind the wall. There is no effective chemical control available for use in domestic areas. I would live with it; just clip it back to the wall.
    You could also inter-plant with a varigated variety for interest. Ivy will fruit at the top when allowed to grow to the top of the ditch providing valuable berries for winter birds.

Advertisement