Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying medicine

Options
  • 14-03-2012 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is in the right section, so feel free to move it.

I am interested in doing medicine but I am 22 and would have to go back full time as a mature student. I don't know if there is a grant or anything for that, so I was wondering have any of you done a degree completely different to medicine (I did music technology) and then gone and done medicine? It's a huge step to take, esp since I'd have to go back to college for 4+ years, and would have to be able to support myself financially. Also, I'm not sure if it's totally what I want to do, so would there be any one out there to give advice on whether or not to know if you're suited for a career in medicine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theginsandwich

Most places that do Graduate Entry Medicine are open to any kind of degree, including all four courses in Ireland, so look at that option as you can get a loan to cover tuition fees and living costs. Plenty of people have got in with non-science degrees. Once you have a 2.1 (or a 2.2 if you'ree applying to Nottingham or St. George's in England) you're judged entirely on your Gamsat score. It's also an accelerated course of four years. Mature student entry is apparently very competitive. As for certainty, try getting some sort of relevent experience through shadowing, volunteering, etc. (which would be necessary anyway to get into the courses which have interviews). It's not something to enter lightly.

Advertisement