Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw: Sushi in the Sky (Lough Atalia Rd)

Options
  • 14-03-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

Did anyone notice the ad on pg 35 of the Galway Independent?

Anyone have any details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Its in the Radisson

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice, I'll def pay a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I've spent the last few weeks learning how to make sushi off the internet, maybe I'll apply for a job there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Yum, cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Is there anywhere out my side of the city that sells the 6pack of sushi rolls? I live near Monaghons on the Tuam road. I'd like to get some to bring to work about twice a week but don't want to drive all the way into town just to get them. Any ideas anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Looking forward to trying it out as well.
    I know the fish place down by Tesco shopping center do sushi

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

dinneenp wrote: »

Interesting. Did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

dinneenp wrote: »

Do they still? I remember seeing them but the rice looked mushy so I never bought it. In fairness to Wa their rice is usually right unless they are a day old... but the day old thing hasn't happened to me in a while.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Wa Cafe generally tend to do more than their bare sushi rolls now and do nigiri most days. They also have had rainbow maki and mini maki recently so they're improving too.
    Looking forward to trying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

Agreed Wa Cafe is pretty good and the staff are lovely too.

When is this new place opening?

• Advertisement

Hello sushi fans, as many of you are familiar with Wa Cafe this seems like a good place to share some information I got via email from them recently. As far as fresh fish I think it is more of a weekend thing and subject to availability. I had suggested they take advantage of a mailing list or facebook page to let people know about their current specials. It sounds like they'll get around to this eventually but wouldn't hold your breath.
    Wa Cafe wrote:
    Lunch: Mon-Fri 12-4pm / Sat 1-6pm
    Cafe Menu (sushi rolls / miso soup / desserts): Mon-Fri 4-7pm
    Dinner: Tues-Fri 7-9.30pm
    Saturday Dinner: 8pm, 6 course set dinner for €50 - by reservation only.

Our regular menu includes one fresh fish sushi option which is made with tuna,salmon,squid & prawn. We offer fresh fish sashimi on a Saturday between 1-6pm. As we use only the freshest fish from the Galway market the types of fish we use varies, but would often include tuna, salmon, scallop, prawn or snapper (as examples)...
    On a Saturday we offer a mixed plate of sashimi and a clam miso soup for a set price, but if you prefered to order just one or two types of sashimi we can make a small plate for you. Please be aware that because we only offer sashimi on a Saturday demand can be high, but if you wish bookings can be made in advance and you can specify that you wish to have sashimi.

I'd be curious to know what people think of the Saturday dinner.

6 courses for €50? Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

6 courses for €50? Sweet.

€50 apiece??

I go for sushi in Dublin fairly often, but even I don't think I'd manage €50 euros worth!

Small place to have a long 6 course meal in IMO.

It's opening April 4th and will be on
    the 4th floor of the Radisson

Just another update on this. Article in today's indo:
    http://galwayindependent.com/data/digitaledition/2012-13/files/66.html

Didn't mention the date above, but did say next month. Also a phone number is listed in the ad, so perhaps they are open to reservations or someone can get more info.

newkie wrote: »
    Just another update on this. Article in today's indo:
    http://galwayindependent.com/data/digitaledition/2012-13/files/66.html

Didn't mention the date above, but did say next month. Also a phone number is listed in the ad, so perhaps they are open to reservations or someone can get more info.

I phoned them and this is what they told me
    said it'll be busy first week so to book (could be hyping it up)

It's opening April 4th and will be on
    the 4th floor of the Radisson

Great stuff, I will def pay this place a visit.

+1!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

So excited about this! Love wa cafe but looking forward to a more evening dinner type sushi place.

Is WA cafe good for sushi? Is there much of a selection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Is there anywhere out my side of the city that sells the 6pack of sushi rolls? I live near Monaghons on the Tuam road. I'd like to get some to bring to work about twice a week but don't want to drive all the way into town just to get them. Any ideas anyone?

there is a lady who does sushi at the markets in moycullen every friday. is really good and fresh. she's always very busy.

she has a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/MakeSushiWithJen?ref=pb

and i think she does classes too

there is a lady who does sushi at the markets in moycullen every friday. is really good and fresh. she's always very busy.

she has a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/MakeSushiWithJen?ref=pb

and i think she does classes too

Is it raw fish sushi, like tuna, salmon etc, or is it smoked salmon/chicken etc?
    Most of the market ones rarely do raw, I understand why, just checking?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

only had it a couple of times but it was salmon tuna and veggie rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

Daisies wrote: »
    Is WA cafe good for sushi? Is there much of a selection?

Was only there once. Not a huge selection but still the best in Galway and i don't think they do sushi after 7.

I go to Wa about once a month and get the Bento box. Yummy.
    Bento box in Tamarind is also good (and bigger/dearer) but they don't serve sushi.

deisedude wrote: »
    Was only there once. Not a huge selection but still the best in Galway and i don't think they do sushi after 7.

:( I LOVE sushi.
    biko wrote: »
    I go to Wa about once a month and get the Bento box. Yummy.
    Bento box in Tamarind is also good (and bigger/dearer) but they don't serve sushi.

Hmmm may just have to put some research into it:cool:

Menu has been put online: http://www.sushiinthesky.ie/menu.html

I've emailed them to suggest edamame: warm, steamed, with plenty of salt. Nothing goes better with a large, cold Sapporo while waiting for your mains.

Will be great if they expand their maki to some more unusual combinations.

BTW, was at the market and Wa had a nigiri tray so I splurged and grabbed it with some pickled ginger and soy sauce. You know it's fresh when there is no fishy smell. The makerel was the biggest surprise, really nice. The tuna was a bit thin and tasteless which was a bit of a shame. The smoked salmon and cucumber are nice fillers. All in all, good but my expectations for Raw are so much higher.

Have my table booked for Friday 13th. Good day to eat raw fish, right?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Just back from Raw now.

Appearance wise it was more function room than restaurant. Nice views from the large floor to ceiling windows. Overbearing smell of carpet and they play elevator music which is oddly off putting.
    Had a mixed Nigiri plate and prawn oshi. well prepared, good service, very attentive. So that was positive. But the setting and atmosphere are more airport than fine dining.

• Advertisement

Just back from Raw now.

Appearance wise it was more function room than restaurant. Nice views from the large floor to ceiling windows. Overbearing smell of carpet and they play elevator music which is oddly off putting.
    Had a mixed Nigiri plate and prawn oshi. well prepared, good service, very attentive. So that was positive. But the setting and atmosphere are more airport than fine dining.

A friend of a friend rang and booked a few people for lunch at RAW, but arrived to find it closed! He reckons there was a language barrier and that was the problem.

I popped in to WA cafe again the other day. I always praise their little nibbles and miso, but bemoan the fact that I can't get a selection of raw fish sushi there. Well I was pleasantly surprised to see they have expanded their raw fish menu. While not huge, there is at least 3 or 4 raw fish options on there, and I have to say, the nigiri plate was delicious! The fish was some of the freshest and mouth melty I have ever had.

Wonder if competition has nudged them in that direction, either way I will be popping in more often now.

Back to RAW, I will give them a try anyway, don't like the sound of airport lounge vibe, but at least the food sounded promising.

Advertisement