Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Altruistic?: Play a game, do my survey! (3 mins)

Options
  • 14-03-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Firstly, thanks to Retr0gamer and Mr. E for giving me permission to post about this here. In January, you may have seen Dav post about my research into the psychology of games (UCC), and ask people to complete the first version of my Immersion in Gaming/IMX questionnaire (thanks Dav!). Since then, I’ve incorporated all of the feedback and input given to me by the boards.ie gamers, and I’ve just completed Version 2 of the Immersion in Gaming questionnaire. It’s a bit shorter, at roughly 3 minutes long.

This is great, however it means that I’m starting from scratch with asking people to fill it in – so right now I’m looking for a couple hundred responses, which I know will be hard going.

http://hfrg.ucc.ie/imx

If you could play a game of your choice, and then fill in my questionnaire with reference to your gaming session, I would appreciate it more than you know.
    If you would like to play a number of different games and fill it out for each one, I would be even more grateful, and if you could share it with any other gamers you know, and ask them to complete it, that would be unbelievable.

It really only takes 3 minutes, and if you just happen to be playing games over the next couple weeks ANYway (as I would be myself), please try to keep it in mind, if you can, and fill in the questionnaire after a couple gaming sessions.

Feel free to post any feedback or questions here or PM me. Thanks for your time!

Noirin
    noirin.curran@ucc.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Stop reporting the post - Noirin asked for permission first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Done.
    Best of luck....again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Have filled it out for you it will make interesting reading when its all compiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

meh I get deeply immersed in games because I enjoy them and actively try to get immersed in them. People dont say you are addicted to books because you get deeply involved while reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

Thanks so much, you guys!
    Have filled it out for you it will make interesting reading when its all compiled.

Once I actually get it all written up (and hopefully published) I'll post a link up here in case people are interested :)
    meh I get deeply immersed in games because I enjoy them and actively try to get immersed in them. People dont say you are addicted to books because you get deeply involved while reading.

I agree with you 100%.

At no point did I mention addiction in my survey, and I'm not studying addiction at all - I'm studying immersion. It's a completely separate subject, although I know that many believe that there can be connections between addiction and immersion in those VERY extreme cases where people do actually become addicted to games - like, actually addicted, not like "Oh Man, I'm so addicted to Mass Effect right now". I don't know if much conclusive research has been done in that area though - though the media do love to scaremonger, as always...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I shall fill this out tonight at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Done (again!) :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Done. Although after playing Journey, which is a very special kind of 'immersion' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

done! mass effect 3 <3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Done

I have a feeling you have a point to prove :pac:

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    I shall fill this out tonight at least once.

Thanks Sarkeee :)
    Done. Although after playing Journey, which is a very special kind of 'immersion' :)

Awww man, I really want to play Journey - my lack of a PS3 gets in the way of that though. Looks great
    triseke wrote: »
    done! mass effect 3 <3

I just recently started Mass Effect 1, I'm sure I'll catch up soon. Loving it though!
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Done

I have a feeling you have a point to prove :pac:

Hmm, not *really*. What kind of point do you see? I'm really just trying to measure the level of immersive response in a game, as it annoys me a little bit when I see games companies all over the place marketing their games as being "immersive" but with no way of knowing conclusively whether people are actually becoming immersed in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

n0irin wrote: »
    Thanks Sarkeee :)

Awww man, I really want to play Journey - my lack of a PS3 gets in the way of that though. Looks great

I just recently started Mass Effect 1, I'm sure I'll catch up soon. Loving it though!

Hmm, not *really*. What kind of point do you see? I'm really just trying to measure the level of immersive response in a game, as it annoys me a little bit when I see games companies all over the place marketing their games as being "immersive" but with no way of knowing conclusively whether people are actually becoming immersed in them...
    I'll fill in the survey when I get a chance, always good to help with any kind of research.
    Do you have a definition of "immersive", indeed do the manufacturers?
    As you say a lot of it is marketing but one does need to define immersive and be on the same page as others defining it before one can form a scientific basis for measuring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I did it. Played Mass Effect 3, was near the end of the game, so that should probably have effected my answers in some way. XD

kippy wrote: »
    I'll fill in the survey when I get a chance, always good to help with any kind of research.
    Do you have a definition of "immersive", indeed do the manufacturers?
    As you say a lot of it is marketing but one does need to define immersive and be on the same page as others defining it before one can form a scientific basis for measuring it.

Thank you! :)

Yes, I do have a definition of immersion that I'm working off - immersion as it pertains to gamers specifically, with a long stage of qualitative data collection and analysis behind it (first stage of my PhD research). Of COURSE, it's absolutely necessary to have a definition of immersion - the very first stage in attempting to create an instrument to measure something is figuring out how to define this "something", otherwise how could you ever hope to be able to measure it? :)
    I worry, however, that games companies don't have a conclusive definition or quantitative instrument before they start marketing their products as "the most immersive game!"
    G.J. wrote: »
    I did it. Played Mass Effect 3, was near the end of the game, so that should probably have effected my answers in some way. XD

Thank you! Haha, yeah I bet that'd affect it - hopefully in a good way? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zendo

Done!
    I play The Sims 3 though - none of the action-y stuff there, totally different pair of shoes.
    I play it a lot though so I hope it counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Done, played Deus Ex which has a strong emphasis on decision making and involvement in the story so hopefully what you were looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Done.
    Broken Sword played.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

After playing Mass Effect 2 for the last 5 hours trying to get it finished before I can play the third instalment, so a nice healthy immersive experience to report on for you Nóirín :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Are games we played in the previous survey allowed in this one? Only I wouldn't mind replying Bastion for the sake of research...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Its interesting to see people are studying this, best of luck with the thesis , games are such a new medium and I think hands down can be far more immersive than anything that has come beforehand.

I filled in the form for Mass Effect 3 for example, I have probably spent about 120 hours on the Mass effect series. Unlike online RPG's though a huge proportion of this time was spent talking to characters and exploring the game zones, its effectively taking the length of a book series, combining it with a Movie and adding interaction on top of the whole deal.

• Advertisement

Awesome - you guys are playing such a variety of games, it's BRILLIANT!
    Shiminay wrote: »
    After playing Mass Effect 2 for the last 5 hours trying to get it finished before I can play the third instalment, so a nice healthy immersive experience to report on for you Nóirín :)

Haha, thanks Dav! :) I just finished Mass Effect before the weekend myself, and I'm dying to play ME2 now, but after scouring the game shops in Cork it doesn't seem to exist! I'm sure I'll find it soon... *fingers crossed*
    Sarky wrote: »
    Are games we played in the previous survey allowed in this one? Only I wouldn't mind replying Bastion for the sake of research...

You'd do that...for me?

:) Yeah, you can totally play the same games again if you like for this version, I'm starting completely from scratch on it so it's cool - and thank you. I'm loving your review of Bastion btw, gonna have to go and play it myself soon.
    imitation wrote: »
    Its interesting to see people are studying this, best of luck with the thesis , games are such a new medium and I think hands down can be far more immersive than anything that has come beforehand.

I filled in the form for Mass Effect 3 for example, I have probably spent about 120 hours on the Mass effect series. Unlike online RPG's though a huge proportion of this time was spent talking to characters and exploring the game zones, its effectively taking the length of a book series, combining it with a Movie and adding interaction on top of the whole deal.

Thank you! :)

It was actually Mass Effect that made me include a question about How well people know the characters and game that they've played - I mean there's no way that you'd have the same type of immersion in a game that you'd just picked up as you would when you've already been through all kinds of crazy stuff with Commander Shepard and you've just picked up Mass Effect 3! I hope you've been enjoying it, can't wait to get to the third installment myself...

Advertisement