Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight issues/ empty vs max

• 13-03-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My husband just phoned from DOE centre ,we have a six berth Fiat Ducato . He was told by a very nice man there that we are near to the weight limit ,It will take him & maybe me !! we have nothing in it yet except a full tank of diesel & two gas cylinders. This is a motorhome with SIX berths & we are told we maybe ok, with a driver ,one passenger & no clothes or food etc.
    This year we had hoped to fit a rack & bring a motor scooter with us ( we have just purchased the scooter !!. ) If we pack our clothes & a few provisions we are told we will not be covered by insurance in event of a claim. Whats to do.? Crazy or what.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

florriemac wrote: »
    My husband just phoned from DOE centre ,we have a six berth Fiat Ducato . He was told by a very nice man there that we are near to the weight limit ,It will take him & maybe me !! we have nothing in it yet except a full tank of diesel & two gas cylinders. This is a motorhome with SIX berths & we are told we maybe ok, with a driver ,one passenger & no clothes or food etc.
    This year we had hoped to fit a rack & bring a motor scooter with us ( we have just purchased the scooter !!. ) If we pack our clothes & a few provisions we are told we will not be covered by insurance in event of a claim. Whats to do.? Crazy or what.

Have a look (if you haven't already) at the first thread DoE testing - the last word.
    That's the up to date thread about testing and someone might have mentioned weight on it.

Best of luck:)

Just had a thought that you might do better by starting a new thread. Just name the thread Weight and Insurance problem, or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Was the vehicle re-plated ? i.e was it's weight plate changed from the original do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 florriemac

original plate was altered from 3200 to 3400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Before you panic get the vehicle weighed at a local weighbridge, with all the usual stuff on board as if you were heading off on holiday. There have been reports here on Boards of the test centres giving out incorrect weight info to customers.
    Any firm which would be weighting trucks in and out, like grain merchants, quarries, coal merchants, etc. should be happy to weigh your camper for a few Euro, mine charges €10.
    Best procedure is first weigh with vehicle fully on weighbridge then reverse back on and get a weight for the rear axle, the difference will be the weight of the front axle, remember as well as the whole vehicle having to be not over weight, the axles individually should not be either. So, if the back is over weight and the front has some spare you can consider moving some heavy stuff towards the front.

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Got motorhome through test on Monday,had a look at weight plate. first read 3500kg which i take is the max weight and second is 5500kg then two axle weights. What is the 5500kg mean. It is a 5 berth Adria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

RO 06 wrote: »
    Got motorhome through test on Monday,had a look at weight plate. first read 3500kg which i take is the max weight and second is 5500kg then two axle weights. What is the 5500kg mean. It is a 5 berth Adria.

the 5,500kg is the Gross Train Weight or to put it another way the to total permissible combined weight of the vehicle plus trailer.

Advertisement