Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagiarism?

• 14-03-2012 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

If I take a snippet of stuff about a poet or a poem from a textbook (Poetry Now, in this case...), learn it off and use it in my essay (not word for word, just general gist), will my work be disqualified for plagiarism? What if I just rejig the syntax and that a little bit? Obvs. I'm talking about objective analysis here rather than personal response, but it'd be good to know what the exact situation is so I don't go getting my leaving certificate disqualified or any of that shite! thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

If I take a snippet of stuff about a poet or a poem from a textbook (Poetry Now, in this case...), learn it off and use it in my essay (not word for word, just general gist), will my work be disqualified for plagiarism? What if I just rejig the syntax and that a little bit? Obvs. I'm talking about objective analysis here rather than personal response, but it'd be good to know what the exact situation is so I don't go getting my leaving certificate disqualified or any of that shite! thanks!

no definitely not,dont worry about plagerism until you get to college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

no such thing as plagiarism in the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

finality wrote: »
    no such thing as plagiarism in the leaving cert.
    shygal wrote: »
    no definitely not,dont worry about plagerism until you get to college

Oh, great stuff :D Just saw it bandied about in a few threads here and there (about sample essays usually), so I thought it best to be safe rather than sorry. Thankin ye both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

The only way plagiarism could come into play for the Leaving Cert would be if you copied and pasted an entire History project from Wikipedia. So don't worry about it for English! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

There 100% is plagiarism in the Leaving Cert.
    Last year, Irish class learnt off some essay, exact heading came up, all got 0%.
    Same for English, teacher gave out A1 essay for Hamlet and Boland, and people learnt it off, got 0%.
    Our principal was raging, got the chief examiner in, tried his best to convince him to have them re-checked, but to no avail.
    12 repeats this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Last year, Irish class learnt off some essay, exact heading came up, all got 0%.
    Same for English, teacher gave out A1 essay for Hamlet and Boland, and people learnt it off, got 0%.
    Our principal was raging, got the chief examiner in, tried his best to convince him to have them re-checked, but to no avail.
    12 repeats this year

Ok well fair enough, but that's a different story. If an entire class have the exact same essay then that is going to be a problem, but I don't see any issue with what OP is suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

12 repeats this year

Jesus that'd be terrible :L I'm only using little pieces from the book though, and it's all very general information e.g 'Heaney's poetry awakens our senses, there is a tactile, sensuous quality to his work and the poetry is many-layered'. It's mainly just broad stuff like that I want to remember, the basics about his poetry - and I'll change the syntax and all. I'm not learinng whole essays off or anything so hopefully it'll be fine! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sean.

As Oscar Wilde once wrote:

“Good writers borrow, great writers steal.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

12 repeats this year

There has to be something else to that story. If students were penalised so harshly for learning off the same essays and regurgitating them, most grind school students would fail the leaving cert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Namlub wrote: »
    There has to be something else to that story. If students were penalised so harshly for learning off the same essays and regurgitating them, most grind school students would fail the leaving cert

Don't the grind school people sit the exam in different centres?

When correcting, examiners are specifically instructed to report identical essay answers within the same centre. It's one of the reasons Superintendents draw a map of where each candidate is sitting in the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

That story sounds a bit more like they thought people had cheated. They can't fail you for having learned something off.

Advertisement