Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joy of Gardening

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    And Dandelion and Burdock is still one of my favourite drinks. Tried to explain it to an American once and she just said "YEUK".

Oh well no accounting for taste is there?

Erm.....Nope? Never tasted D & B myself so don't know what's it like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It used be a favourite drink of my childhood, but I haven't tasted it since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Erm.....Nope? Never tasted D & B myself so don't know what's it like.

Similar to sarsaparilla if you have ever tried that. (spelling?)

If you like soft drinks with a bit of fizz it is worth a try. I actually prefer it to coke or pepsi.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Similar to sarsaparilla if you have ever tried that. (spelling?)

If you like soft drinks with a bit of fizz it is worth a try. I actually prefer it to coke or pepsi.

Sasparilla - wasn't that what the young greenhorns drank in bars in all the old cowboy pictures? From the moment the drink was ordered the kid was bullied to death by the local bar bullies! Remember those flicks?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sarsaparilla.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sasparilla - wasn't that what the young greenhorns drank in bars in all the old cowboy pictures? From the moment the drink was ordered the kid was bullied to death by the local bar bullies! Remember those flicks?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sarsaparilla.htm

I always remember Hoppalong Cassidy drinking it. Quite a few Western B Movie Series stars drank it.

• Advertisement

I always remember Hoppalong Cassidy drinking it. Quite a few Western B Movie Series stars drank it.

Those were the days when you didn't need booze to prove how butch you were! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As the spring advances it might be worth mentioning gardens in your local area that are worth visiting. Mt Congreve in Waterford is spectacular in spring with the rhododendrons and camellias. As far as I know it is still only open on Thursdays, but I think this may change. Its a good long walk round but there are some really beautiful and interesting trees and shrubs.
    http://www.gardenlovers.ie/mount_congreve_.garden.7112.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I like the OPW walled garden in the Phoenix park, I am not a fan of big formal gardens, also the rose garden in St Ann park in Rahney is lovely.

Apparently the routs of the word paradise come from a Persian word for garden, so paradise is a garden I like that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Cherry Blossoms out...roll on Summer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Cicero wrote: »

I think it is Cicero's turn to be boot polisher. Although I usually use Kiwi myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My mother was a keen gardener.
    By the time I left home, I had caught the bug.
    Every place I have ever lived, I've started a garden in it.
    To me, there is nothing more wonderful than sitting in your garden during the summer, surrounded by flowers and plants, with a bottle of wine.
    It's the aesthetics, whither inside or out, I like to be surrounded by a feast for the eyes.
    In warm weather, I can spend the whole day in the garden, pottering, feet up, relaxing, reading, drinking.
    Tis the life. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its too warm! I've been weeding and pulling pesky scutch grass from what's "nominally" a flower bed area (only home to one a perennial the name of which I've forgotten) and decided I'd done enough after 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Cicero wrote: »

OK Cicero! Grab the broom ........... and Tango:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have had lunch out side in the garden twice this week its heavenly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

They say that as you reach middle age, you either turn to God or to the Garden.

I started gardening in a small way a couple of years ago.

Mainly Veg in containers. Spring Onions,Rocket & the like..

I don't have a big enough garden to do large scale stuff but dug trenches for peas recently.

They're climbers, so don't take up so much room.:)

I had absolutely no intrest in this stuff when I was younger, but find it a pretty engaging pastime nowadays.

Advertisement